Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

The reasons for broadcast TV to exist anymore are rapidly decreasing.
    Live sports is the only thing keeping broadcast TV relevant. It's the only domain that streaming hasn't gotten to yet.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Live sports is the only thing keeping broadcast TV relevant. It's the only domain that streaming hasn't gotten to yet.
    And that's mainly because people want to easily watch it on a big screen.

A large majority of a cable bill now goes to pay the licensing on sports channels. Soon it will be easy to stream stuff directly to a TV and cable bundles will go away.

And then the streamers will start adding commercials to their streaming shows because if making money is good, making more money is better. And we will have no alternative but to complain and put up with it. Everyone will start buying a one-price service for all the streaming channels, and we'll be right back where we started... with an overpriced cable bundle, watching commercials.

Yes I still watch shows on network TV. But the number of shows I watch seems to keep going down. After the the release of the fall 2021 schedules this week for ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS, I watch will still be watching 10 returning shows with one new show that is a spinoff. And that's down from last year's total number of shows which was the lowest yet.

But I think it is due more to me becoming older and networks caring less and less about my age demographic. I checked out the descriptions of all the new shows and other than the new spinoff series, there wasn't anything that said "watch it!" to me.

There's a couple other shows on cable channels that I watch but it is definitely getting to be slim pickings out there. Of course, I don't have any streaming services so I don't generally watch those unless the shows get released on DVD or I go to a friend's house.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Just United States of Al on CBS. Most of my stuff is on streaming or rentable on YouTube.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-20-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Don't speak to what you don't know. I'm 45 and seen plenty of outlets. We shall agree to disagree, enjoy your Newshour and thinking they hold no bias.
    I will enjoy, and I'm pretty sure they don't.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Outlets with high standards that have no profit motive, such as PBS or the BBC, are generally biased only towards the truth. Many people find that "bias" unacceptable if their beliefs/desires are in opposition to the truth (regardless of which party).

Incredible Member

I was watching Modern Family until it ended and while I have long since dropped cable I will occasionally watch Family Guy and/or Saturday Night Live but then again I can always stream them on Hulu or Peacock.

Regular TV if any will be mostly for the news as I'm mostly streaming movies and TV shows on multiple apps.

Currently watching Revenge after finishing Dallas on IMDB. So much great stuff you can stream free with commercials on Peacock Roku IMDB etc...I'm thinking of dropping HBOMAX when the 6 months are up, though like Hulu and others I enjoyed what was there. The thing is when you finish watching what you wanted to see on these big Streaming services you only need a month a year to watch the updates. Modern TV is mostly crap. I have access to Disney+ and Netflix for free and rarely watch them.

Astonishing Member

I cut the cord. I can stream anything I want. What baffles me about the cable/ satellite companies is they really never have even attempted to adjust what they do and how they do it.

Yeah network tv is basically dead to me. 30 Rocks and Parks and Rec were my last shows. On ABC it was probably Lost. And on CBS maybe... the Dukes of Hazzard

Ultimate Member

I don't watch much on the main channels but I do have a few shows that I keep up on and such, most of the shows now are just crap...

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I cut the cord. I can stream anything I want. What baffles me about the cable/ satellite companies is they really never have even attempted to adjust what they do and how they do it.
    I don't agree with this. They have tried. DVRs and OnDemand gave people control and the ability to time-shift before streaming. You can skip commercials. Their boxes integrate the main streaming services to try to make a more seamless experience.

The problem is the cost, which is driven by fees they pay for licensing. The networks/programmers are driving cable/satellite out of business more than anybody else. Cable/satellite companies have to pay to carry antenna channels that should probably be free to them. And the consolidation gives the networks a ton of power ... carry my crappy channel or you can't have my must-have channel. Whenever you read that some broadcaster has paid billions for rights to carry a sports league, you know your cable bill is going up. It makes the cost to subscribers unreasonable and the value just not there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I don't agree with this. They have tried. DVRs and OnDemand gave people control and the ability to time-shift before streaming. You can skip commercials. Their boxes integrate the main streaming services to try to make a more seamless experience.

The problem is the cost, which is driven by fees they pay for licensing. The networks/programmers are driving cable/satellite out of business more than anybody else. Cable/satellite companies have to pay to carry antenna channels that should probably be free to them. And the consolidation gives the networks a ton of power ... carry my crappy channel or you can't have my must-have channel. Whenever you read that some broadcaster has paid billions for rights to carry a sports league, you know your cable bill is going up. It makes the cost to subscribers unreasonable and the value just not there.

Yea I don't really understand everything. I just got annoyed that cable/satellite wouldn't or couldn't offer something like a sling tv package for consumers.

Not sure how it is everywhere, but at least around me the cable/satellite companies are also the internet providers, so they have zero incentive to do anything. Even if you cut the cord and go all streaming, they still get your money since you're paying them for internet.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Not sure how it is everywhere, but at least around me the cable/satellite companies are also the internet providers, so they have zero incentive to do anything. Even if you cut the cord and go all streaming, they still get your money since you're paying them for internet.
    This is true. I couldn't go just wireless as the speeds aren't there, yet. I think they get less money, though.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea I don't really understand everything. I just got annoyed that cable/satellite wouldn't or couldn't offer something like a sling tv package for consumers.
    Well, Sling is Dish, which is a satellite company. Xfinity and AT&T both tried skinny streaming packages. Not sure if they still have those.

Xfinity (my internet provider) gave me a free Flex box which is like a less useful Roku. It's gotten better and now has the big streaming services, plus Peacock. I put it in the kitchen.