Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, to be honest, if Timm continues to go in this Bruce/Babs direction (of course I'm not even sure Babs will be in the show), that might a complete dealbreaker for me with this series. It's rare that I would declare a dealbreaker like this, but that's just how I feel right now on it.
    I think we're likely getting a black Jim Gordon. Whether we get Babs is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we'll at the very least see some equivalent to Robin and Batgirl if the show goes on long enough. I guess it depends on whether the creators want to handle it like Beware the Batman did.
    I would actually love if it evolved into a BtB team building take in future seasons. I loved that show, Cartoon Network did it dirty.

Maybe they'll try to spin Catwoman as a more of a partner character like they have been doing in recent years.
    I wouldn't mind that, as long as it's done better than it was in Hush or The Long Halloween, those handled it abysmally in my opinion. Hush a bit less bad than TLH tho. The Batman handled it very good however.

Maybe not necessarily but it feels like they're drawing on a very old school Batman vibe.
    I don't see how that means traditional Batfamily is a given. It's a very old school Batman vibe yes, but it's also clearly drawing on when he's been more of a solo vigilante type. I'm not ruling it out, but I wouldn't expect it.

From what's been said about this Batman, he could probably use a Batfamily.
    Why? Because he's not as skilled and formidable yet? Other ways show growth in that area than sidekicks. Like changing tactics, getting new gear, etc. Just feels more like Batfam fans just wanting the Batfam than any actual need or implication given.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I would actually love if it evolved into a BtB team building take in future seasons. I loved that show, Cartoon Network did it dirty.
    It was definitely an interesting Batman show.
    I wouldn't mind that, as long as it's done better than it was in Hush or The Long Halloween, those handled it abysmally in my opinion. Hush a bit less bad than TLH tho. The Batman handled it very good however.
    I thought those movies handled it fine, my main issue is I feel like treating Selina that way downplays how much of a spoiler she is or the main thing that separates her and Batman - her being a criminal/kleptomaniac - and downplays the need for his actual partners.

Like I like a Selina with at least a little hint of the possibility she might screw Batman over and more self-involved than altruistic. At least initially.
    I don't see how that means traditional Batfamily is a given. It's a very old school Batman vibe yes, but it's also clearly drawing on when he's been more of a solo vigilante type. I'm not ruling it out, but I wouldn't expect it.
    Yeah, but usually he starts out a solo vigilante type and expands to the sidekicks as he gets more experienced.
    Why? Because he's not as skilled and formidable yet? Other ways show growth in that area than sidekicks. Like changing tactics, getting new gear, etc. Just feels more like Batfam fans just wanting the Batfam than any actual need or implication given.
    I was talking more from a psychological and personal level.

From an experience level I think there's definitely something that can be shown from him becoming more of a mentor and getting a partner, but we're definitely not getting that in season 1.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Batfamily from a Batman show.

It was definitely an interesting Batman show.
    Yep, gone too soon.

I thought those movies handled it fine, my main issue is I feel like treating Selina that way downplays how much of a spoiler she is or the main thing that separates her and Batman - her being a criminal/kleptomaniac - and downplays the need for his actual partners.
    I don't think she downplays his need for actual partners - I don't think there is a need for actual partners.

Like I like a Selina with at least a little hint of the possibility she might screw Batman over and more self-involved than altruistic. At least initially.
    Same, she's gotta start with that criminal element.

Yeah, but usually he starts out a solo vigilante type and expands to the sidekicks as he gets more experienced.
    That has nothing to do with them drawing from that old school pre-sidekicks thing tho. No reason why this show should have to follow that either.

I was talking more from a psychological and personal level.
    I don't see any need for the Batfam on that level that can't be achieved with Alfred and Gordon.

From an experience level I think there's definitely something that can be shown from him becoming more of a mentor and getting a partner, but we're definitely not getting that in season 1.
    I don't see why that should show up at all, unless this lasts like 5 to 10 seasons. This is a Batman just starting out, he's got years before he's old enough to worry about mentoring anyone.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Batfamily from a Batman show.
    Never said it was - just that I'd rather they not do the d Robins and Batgirls we've got time and time again before. I'd rather they just pass on that and explore something new.

I don't think she downplays his need for actual partners - I don't think there is a need for actual partners.
    There is though, he almost always has them in some form or another .
    Same, she's gotta start with that criminal element.
    My one issue with Catwoman in the LH is she never actually steals anything. I don't think they even call her a cat burglar once.
    That has nothing to do with them drawing from that old school pre-sidekicks thing tho. No reason why this show should have to follow that either.
    I mean, it's part of Batman's character though? And Robin was "old school."
    I don't see any need for the Batfam on that level that can't be achieved with Alfred and Gordon.
    Well, Dick/Robin in general is a very different dynamic and brings out a side of Bruce and Batman that the other two don't, same with the rest of the family. It's about expanding, not keeping to a father figure and a work buddy.
    I don't see why that should show up at all, unless this lasts like 5 to 10 seasons. This is a Batman just starting out, he's got years before he's old enough to worry about mentoring anyone.
    That seems like stretching it. Unless the show really paces stuff out I would expect stuff to start developing by seasons 2-3 unless they absolutely don't want to do anything Batfamily.
    Never said it was - just that I'd rather they not do the d Robins and Batgirls we've got time and time again before. I'd rather they just pass on that and explore something new.
    If it's not your preference, that's fine, I think at the very least Robin should show up for a variety of reasons but ultimately I'd just like them to handle the characters they use well.

There is though, he almost always has them in some form or another .
    Having them does not equal needing them.

My one issue with Catwoman in the LH is she never actually steals anything. I don't think they even call her a cat burglar once.
    If that's your only issue with it, then I can't help but wonder if maybe I only had a horrible nightmare where I thought I saw a butchered "adaptation"...
    On further checking, nope, that experience was sadly all too real.

I mean, it's part of Batman's character though? And Robin was "old school."
    But Robin wasn't part of the old noir era, as super brief as it was. This seems like a whole series drenched in that specific aesthetic, and Robin kinda came to put an end to it. I don't see them going that route here really.

Well, Dick/Robin in general is a very different dynamic and brings out a side of Bruce and Batman that the other two don't, same with the rest of the family. It's about expanding, not keeping to a father figure and a work buddy.
    And we've had that in literally every other animated Batman to date, save one. It's not needed across all series frankly.

That seems like stretching it. Unless the show really paces stuff out I would expect stuff to start developing by seasons 2-3 unless they absolutely don't want to do anything Batfamily.
    I don't see why not - there's more than enough material and ideas to keep solo Bats interesting at least that long.

If it's not your preference, that's fine, I think at the very least Robin should show up for a variety of reasons but ultimately I'd just like them to handle the characters they use well.
    And if that's your preference, that's fine. I think at the very least having the occasional series skip doing Robin is perfectly fine, and honestly a bit refreshing.

Having them does not equal needing them.
    Well, we can argue about the need for the Batfamily for probably thread after thread but there's a reason they pop up as much as they do.
    If that's your only issue with it, then I can't help but wonder if maybe I only had a horrible nightmare where I thought I saw a butchered "adaptation"...
    On further checking, nope, that experience was sadly all too real.
    I feel like we have two very different definitions of "butchered" when it comes to adaptions, or maybe at the very least I don't think the LH animated adaption was as disrespectful to the comic as you felt it was, and I was a fan of the comic.
    But Robin wasn't part of the old noir era, as super brief as it was. This seems like a whole series drenched in that specific aesthetic, and Robin kinda came to put an end to it. I don't see them going that route here really.
    You said it yourself that it was super brief though. I don't think Robin is too hard to fit in there, if only because I feel like the series will probably expand beyond what it's hearkening back too if it goes on long enough.

But I also know that I feel Robin is more versatile than I think you do.
    And we've had that in literally every other animated Batman to date, save one. It's not needed across all series frankly.
    Well, they've spun the relationship in a variety of different ways across multiple adaptions and they've skipped Dick before so I don't think it's too big an issue.
    I don't see why not - there's more than enough material and ideas to keep solo Bats interesting at least that long.
    I guess with a limited episode count and an entire Rogues Gallery, maybe, but probably at some point I could see them developing or having some kind of sidekick/partner character since it pretty much always happens.
    And if that's your preference, that's fine. I think at the very least having the occasional series skip doing Robin is perfectly fine, and honestly a bit refreshing.
    Well, it wouldn't be the first show to skip Robin...

I'm curious do you guys think we have to worry about this cartoon or other animated series and movies? The new guys at Warners have been cancelled shows and who knows what department is next.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious do you guys think we have to worry about this cartoon or other animated series and movies? The new guys at Warners have been cancelled shows and who knows what department is next.
    Nope it’s got Reeves and Abrams involved, and it’s a Batman show, it’s as safe as a show can get right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    No. I mean, this and MAWS haven't even aired yet. Let's not worry about season renewals and cancellations until after at least the first few episodes or so.

Ed Brubaker had an interview with the Word Balloon podcast and discussed the show starting at 66:25.

Main highlights:

- Currently working on the scripts for the last couple of episodes this season.
    - First voice recording will begin very soon.
    - Timm and Tucker have been casting the voices for the last couple of months.
    - Brubaker reached out to Timm for freelancing opportunities and was surprised when he suggested the gig of head writer on Caped Crusader. Although Brubaker still had to interview and Timm needed to jump through some hoops to land him the gig.
    - It will be a PG show (Family show). Slightly more adult than what was done before and very much a new take on Batman in the late 40's/early 50's era.

- The show will be getting animation samples from studios vying for the job soon and that side of it will be full steam ahead in a couple of months.
    - Timm, Tucker and ''some other writer'' came up with the pitch for the show 2/3 years ago and they loosely followed that idea with Brubaker, ultimately building a ''new thing'' with them.
    - It will remind you a lot of ''the other show'' (B:TAS) but will also shock you in the ways it is different.
    - Greg Rucka is the writer of episode 2, which will be the first Renee Montoya episode.
    - Ed Brubaker has written episode 4, which has ''Gotham Central'' moments focusing more on Gordon and the cops than Batman himself (although he stresses the show is not inspired by that run of comics).
    - Scripts are roughly 30-34 pages (I don't know if that is slightly longer than the average 20 minute cartoon).

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Wonder is some of the cast will be announce any time this year?

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Wonder is some of the cast will be announce any time this year?
    If they've been casting over the past few months, probably by the end of the year.

Mighty Member

This entertainment registration website apparently holds the titles for all 10 episodes of season one, under the Relationships tab. Potential spoilers in the link.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

With all the writing talent involved, this show will have no excuse for poor writing.

I don't know what to expect from the animation, I doubt I will love it like BTAS, they always cheap out as far as animation, so the writing and characterization is gonna be everything.

Great writing and episodes with heart and soul, that's what is needed if the show is to withstand inevitable comparisons to BTAS.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-04-2022 at 06:02 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”