Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He sounded young enough to pull off a (I presume) mid-20's Batman in my opinion, and his natural voice is gravely and weathered enough that it sounded like Batman to me. Compared to O'Mara I think he definitely owned the role better.

I think he and Greenwood's had very similar tenor and delivery for their Batman's.
    To each their own, but it was in my opinion one of the worse Batman voices to date, and the only thing that sounded similar to Greenwood's is the fact they're both male voices. And no, he didn't own the role better than O'Mara - O'Mara started off rough in the first movie, but he rapidly improved to be one of the better Batman voices. I just don't expect a similar improvement to happen a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    To each their own, but it was in my opinion one of the worse Batman voices to date, and the only thing that sounded similar to Greenwood's is the fact they're both male voices. And no, he didn't own the role better than O'Mara - O'Mara started off rough in the first movie, but he rapidly improved to be one of the better Batman voices. I just don't expect a similar improvement to happen a second time.
    I feel like O'Mara only really sounded good in the JL films compared to the actual Batman films. Compared to O'Mara I think Ackles is much more lively and far less dry, and the voice is more convincing. But that's just me.

Like, I can get it being difficult to dissociate how distinctive Ackles' voice is with him playing Batman, but I don't think that makes him far from the worst Batman VA's, especially when his performance and delivery were on-point.

I feel like O'Mara only really sounded good in the JL films compared to the actual Batman films. Compared to O'Mara I think Ackles is much more lively and far less dry, and the voice is more convincing. But that's just me.

Like, I can get it being difficult to dissociate how distinctive Ackles' voice is with him playing Batman, but I don't think that makes him far from the worst Batman VA's, especially when his performance and delivery were on-point.
    O’Mara is the worst Batman VA I’ve heard personally, whereas Greenwood is just behind Conroy for me.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

O'Mara feels to me like he was constrained by the type of characterization they went with, which resembled the same characterization they gave other characters in that continuity - broad, uncomplicated, and so restrained as to be a bit flat in terms of personality at times. Ackles wasn't exactly served that much better in The Long Halloween... but I feel like he got something better because that Batman is meant to make some mistakes and be a bit more vulnerable.

O'Mara had a mostly unflappable Bruce even in situation where he really, really should be upset - which is where Greenwood basically cemented himself as a great choice for the character, since the emotions of the Under the Red Hood film gave him reason to show his range, much like how Conroy enjoyed Mask of the Phantasm doing similar for him.

If they're more ambitious with this show, than I kind of hope they want a Batman who can, say, have his heart broken, vocalize some raw despair, display some warmth, genuinely be horrified.

I'll always begrudge TNBAS for stripping Conroy's Batman and Bruce of some dimension and complexity; it all comes down to nuances and details, but Bruce in BTAS had more dimensions and was much more likable than TNBAS Bruce, who was honestly a bit one-dimensional at times and played into some bad habits on Timm's part.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I feel like they're probably going to go for a Batman that's reminiscent of Pattinson in terms of personality/performance, but it seems like public Bruce Wayne might be more of a factor since they've described it as "100%" fake, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

I disagree - O'Mara was worst in the first JL, only a bit better in his first Batman solo, but everything after was gold imo (as far as his voice anyways, scripts were still eh). Compared to later O'Mara, Ackles is...just not Batman, lively or not. Not unless he was Batman when he was Jason Todd, or Batman when he was Dean Winchester. It's just not convincing to me at all. Like I said, I rank his take so far at the very bottom, it just sounds wrong.

I disagree with his performance or delivery being on-point - they were acceptable, but no better than any of the previous voices, and he just doesn't sound Batman-y at all. I don't think we can agree here, we just have as opposite an experience and view on this as two people can get. I thought the person who voiced Catwoman was good (even if I didn't like how her role was changed from the source material at all), shame the VA died.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    O’Mara is the worst Batman VA I’ve heard personally, whereas Greenwood is just behind Conroy for me.
    Eh, in the first two films sure, he sucked. But he got remarkably better with each entry imo.

I disagree - O'Mara was worst in the first JL, only a bit better in his first Batman solo, but everything after was gold imo (as far as his voice anyways, scripts were still eh). Compared to later O'Mara, Ackles is...just not Batman, lively or not. Not unless he was Batman when he was Jason Todd, or Batman when he was Dean Winchester. It's just not convincing to me at all. Like I said, I rank his take so far at the very bottom, it just sounds wrong.

I disagree with his performance or delivery being on-point - they were acceptable, but no better than any of the previous voices, and he just doesn't sound Batman-y at all. I don't think we can agree here, we just have as opposite an experience and view on this as two people can get. I thought the person who voiced Catwoman was good (even if I didn't like how her role was changed from the source material at all), shame the VA died.
    I'm not going to deny he didn't start out well, but I feel like he only really delivered stronger performances in the later JL films where he had more people to bounce off and he wasn't the main character (granted Damian and Dick were kind of the main characters of every film but Hush, but I digress...).

I just don't really see how Ackles didn't sound Batman-y. He had that serious, gravely, stoic voice that's basically the de-facto for any Batman VA and it didn't sound as forced as O'Mara's did at times. At least to me.

I'm not going to deny he didn't start out well, but I feel like he only really delivered stronger performances in the later JL films where he had more people to bounce off and he wasn't the main character (granted Damian and Dick were kind of the main characters of every film but Hush, but I digress...).

I just don't really see how Ackles didn't sound Batman-y. He had that serious, gravely, stoic voice that's basically the de-facto for any Batman VA and it didn't sound as forced as O'Mara's did at times. At least to me.
    To each their own - I thought O'Mara delivered on every film after Son of Batman more or less, and all I heard from Jensen Ackles was the same Jensen Ackles who every now and then remembered that he was voicing Batman and tried but largely failed at a gravelly voice, and even that was inconsistently used I think, like he just forgot sometimes. At least to me. I'd gladly take O'Mara's later Batman over Ackles' any day.

Moving own, I hope that this show uses more obscure early Golden Age Batman rogues like Doctor Death and Mad Monk.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

To each their own - I thought O'Mara delivered on every film after Son of Batman more or less, and all I heard from Jensen Ackles was the same Jensen Ackles who every now and then remembered that he was voicing Batman and tried but largely failed at a gravelly voice, and even that was inconsistently used I think, like he just forgot sometimes. At least to me. I'd gladly take O'Mara's later Batman over Ackles' any day.

Moving own, I hope that this show uses more obscure early Golden Age Batman rogues like Doctor Death and Mad Monk.
    Mad Monk and the Monster Men would definitely fit the tone they seem to be going for.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

To be honest I find it gratifying seeing you stick up for O'Mara when it felt like I was the only one who marginally liked him as Batman (but I definitely prefer Ackles) and I know you hated that universe .
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Mad Monk and the Monster Men would definitely fit the tone they seem to be going for.
    I'd love to see them adapt Night of the Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Hope they take inspiration from the Matt Wagner books, those were so good and would be perfect to see get animated and adapted to some degree.

I also wouldn't mind if they decide to adapt the Long Halloween, they can't do worse than the other version.

To be honest I find it gratifying seeing you stick up for O'Mara when it felt like I was the only one who marginally liked him as Batman (but I definitely prefer Ackles) and I know you hated that universe .
    Just because that universe sucked (and honestly despite a strong first Superman movie this one's going not so hot after a mediocre Wonder Woman JSA movie and butchering my favorite Batman story into something un-enjoyable), doesn't mean that the voice work sucked. I think people gave O'Mara too much flack just because of the first couple movies and no credit for how much he improved. And he'll always be head, shoulders, and little bat ears above Ackles.

Just because that universe sucked (and honestly despite a strong first Superman movie this one's going not so hot after a mediocre Wonder Woman JSA movie and butchering my favorite Batman story into something un-enjoyable), doesn't mean that the voice work sucked. I think people gave O'Mara too much flack just because of the first couple movies and no credit for how much he improved. And he'll always be head, shoulders, and little bat ears above Ackles.
    I thought LH turned out a lot better than Hush did, but that's just another thing we disagree on .

I feel like that whole universe got way more flack than it deserved, but I can get why O'Mara was never anybody's favorite Batman VA.

I thought LH turned out a lot better than Hush did, but that's just another thing we disagree on .

I feel like that whole universe got way more flack than it deserved, but I can get why O'Mara was never anybody's favorite Batman VA.
    Yes, and I don't think we could disagree more on that point - to me the experience of watching what they did with that "adaptation" was like looking forward to a delicious cheese burger, taking a big bite...and discovering that instead of a juicy beef patty some vicious prankster actually substituted it with a patty made entirely of excrement. I just can't comprehend how people enjoyed it beyond the fact that they never liked the source material to begin with. I'm not exaggerating, I truly hated it and wish I'd never wasted my time or money watching it. Which is not what you want to say about an animated adaptation you've been asking for for over a decade. It's one of those things that only come around once in a lifetime, and if you don't like the end result then it just really sucks to be you. Glad you and seemingly everyone else liked it, but for me it's just a damn monkey's paw with all the fingers now curled except one cause it's flipping me the bird.

Mind, I'm making it out worse than it is - end of the day it's just a crappy disappointing movie, my life doesn't revolve around movies. But still as a fan of something, whenever that thing gets an adaptation that you don't like or enjoy on any level, you're going to be miffed about on and off for a long time. Ask Green Lantern fans.

It was a pretty terrible set of films, and I was glad to see it end violently and gorily, even if this new one isn't turning out any better. And I get it too, he's not in the top three or five Batman voices, but I personally still put him safely well above Ackles turn to date, easily. Ackles makes for a great Jason, loved him on Supernatural, but unless you saw those roles and said "That's a perfect Batman voice as is right there!" I just don't feel like he's the right choice nor do I think he's done a good job with it. So far there's only been two great or good films in this new continuity, and that's Man of Tomorrow and Catwoman Hunted, and I'm not even sure that last one is in continuity (but it's very good).
    Last edited by Vakanai; 03-26-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Yes, and I don't think we could disagree more on that point - to me the experience of watching what they did with that "adaptation" was like looking forward to a delicious cheese burger, taking a big bite...and discovering that instead of a juicy beef patty some vicious prankster actually substituted it with a patty made entirely of excrement. I just can't comprehend how people enjoyed it beyond the fact that they never liked the source material to begin with. I'm not exaggerating, I truly hated it and wish I'd never wasted my time or money watching it. Which is not what you want to say about an animated adaptation you've been asking for for over a decade. It's one of those things that only come around once in a lifetime, and if you don't like the end result then it just really sucks to be you. Glad you and seemingly everyone else liked it, but for me it's just a damn monkey's paw with all the fingers now curled except one cause it's flipping me the bird.

Mind, I'm making it out worse than it is - end of the day it's just a crappy disappointing movie, my life doesn't revolve around movies. But still as a fan of something, whenever that thing gets an adaptation that you don't like or enjoy on any level, you're going to be miffed about on and off for a long time. Ask Green Lantern fans.
    Well, for what it 's worth, I was a fan of the comic prior to the movie (I own a copy of it and Dark Victory) and enjoyed the movie. But that's just me.
    It was a pretty terrible set of films, and I was glad to see it end violently and gorily, even if this new one isn't turning out any better. And I get it too, he's not in the top three or five Batman voices, but I personally still put him safely well above Ackles turn to date, easily. Ackles makes for a great Jason, loved him on Supernatural, but unless you saw those roles and said "That's a perfect Batman voice as is right there!" I just don't feel like he's the right choice nor do I think he's done a good job with it. So far there's only been two great or good films in this new continuity, and that's Man of Tomorrow and Catwoman Hunted, and I'm not even sure that last one is in continuity (but it's very good).
    I thought they grew over time by the point where they hit Apokolips War, but that's probably an unpopular opinion on these boards.

Other than his gravely voice I probably wouldn't have pegged Ackles for Batman himself, which is why I was surprised that it worked so well (for me). But I didn't expect Josh Duhamel to work so well as Two-Face either. Haven't been that surprised since William Shatner as good ol' Harvey .

Catwoman: Hunted isn't in that continuity. It's in a quasi-YJ continuity.