Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, this is the first solo Batman cartoon we've had in 10 years after Beware the Batman ended.
    But there has been a constant stream of Batman animated content. Not like we have been starved for it. I just don't think a Batman cartoon is going to really feel that different.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But there has been a constant stream of Batman animated content. Not like we have been starved for it. I just don't think a Batman cartoon is going to really feel that different.
    Yeah, but it's not like he's had an actual cartoon. I mean, I know the HQ cartoon is a thing but it's still not an actual Batman cartoon no matter how much they feature him. Ditto his appearance in other works.

If it's like the Strange Days short Timm made then I will watch it. I would actually love some grounded, street level Batman stories and if it's set in the period he was created in then all the better.

Looks cool, if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I was excited.... until I saw that JJ F'ing Abrams was involved.
    Why, he has a decent track record and knows how to put the characters front and center. It's not like he's even going to be the sole creative voice behind it, either.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm kind of morbidly curious if Robin will show up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Looks cool, if nothing else.

Why, he has a decent track record and knows how to put the characters front and center. It's not like he's even going to be the sole creative voice behind it, either.
    Yeah, Abrams the producer has a much stronger record than Abrams the director... and Abrams the director actually has a few good movies on his resume next to the mediocre and bad ones. (This coming from the TFA fan who think TLJ damned TROS into an inescapable situation).

Arguably what’s more important, to me, will be the general philosophy this show has towards Batman, his supporting characters, and villains.

This feels like Golden Age, younger Batman, but we’ve actually had two of those shows with The Batman and Beware The Batman, and while BTB did okay with obscure villains, it and TB both weren’t quite as electric as a young Batman show could be, with TB arguably doing better when it moved on into the more “Year Two/Three” timeframe.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, Abrams the producer has a much stronger record than Abrams the director... and Abrams the director actually has a few good movies on his resume next to the mediocre and bad ones. (This coming from the TFA fan who think TLJ damned TROS into an inescapable situation).

Arguably what’s more important, to me, will be the general philosophy this show has towards Batman, his supporting characters, and villains.

This feels like Golden Age, younger Batman, but we’ve actually had two of those shows with The Batman and Beware The Batman, and while BTB did okay with obscure villains, it and TB both weren’t quite as electric as a young Batman show could be, with TB arguably doing better when it moved on into the more “Year Two/Three” timeframe.
    This is why I'm wondering if Robin is going to show up, because even in a Golden Age show...Robin was still a part of that era.

Extraordinary Member

This is why I'm wondering if Robin is going to show up, because even in a Golden Age show...Robin was still a part of that era.
    There’s a lot of interesting ways you could use Robins here. Maybe the show starts with the death fo the Grayson, with Dick’s training a. Background element for a while. Or it starts with him as Bruce’s “squire” already, like BTAS does, but goes with some Golden Age version of his suit (with pants!) Or it goes crazy and starts with Jason or Tim, and uses Golden Age designs for Nightwing or Red Hood.

...Admittedly, I’m now really curious if they might have some genuine fun with the designs by trying to go Golden Age, but updated. A bit of steampunk never hurt anybody.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm kind of morbidly curious if Robin will show up.
    If he does, it will probably be a young Robin

Dini said in the Batman: Animated book that the production team would have preferred a younger Robin, which is why they switched to Tim in TNBA. I think Dick being college aged in BTAS was down to the network not being comfortable having a 12 year old be in perilous situations, and they didn't have issues showing 18-21 year old Dick in action. If Robin shows up and it's a Golden Age style show, and Timm is allowed more creative freedom, we might get a Golden Age style 12 year old Dick.

Or we might not at all. Timm said in one interview that I recall (back around the time the Strange Days came out) that he not only would have Batman without Robin, Alfred wouldn't be around either. He'd just have Bruce be purely solo and colder. Combined with Bruce banging Barbara on a rooftop in TKJ, I can't say Timm's creative instincts for Bruce's character when left to his own devices really click with me. I hope this isn't that, and we will likely at least get Alfred.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If he does, it will probably be a young Robin

Dini said in the Batman: Animated book that the production team would have preferred a younger Robin, which is why they switched to Tim in TNBA. I think Dick being college aged in BTAS was down to the network not being comfortable having a 12 year old be in perilous situations, and they didn't have issues showing 18-21 year old Dick in action. If Robin shows up and it's a Golden Age style show, and Timm is allowed more creative freedom, we might get a Golden Age style 12 year old Dick.

Or we might not at all. Timm said in one interview that I recall (back around the time the Strange Days came out) that he not only would have Batman without Robin, Alfred wouldn't be around either. He'd just have Bruce be purely solo and colder. Combined with Bruce banging Barbara on a rooftop in TKJ, I can't say Timm's creative instincts for Bruce's character when left to his own devices really click with me. I hope this isn't that, and we will likely at least get Alfred.
    Yeah, I think he envisioned Batman as just this pure crime-fighting machine who just sees his allies as tools in his war against crime and doesn't really socialize, so I hope that isn't the case with this interpretation (I don't think it would be airing on Cartoon Network if it was).

Hot take, but I hope we don't get Robin. At the very least, not in the first season.

Anyways, while the poster feels somewhat generic with a vaguely B:TAS aesthetic, the creative team behind this is impressive and the Golden Age inspired take could be great. At first glance it doesn't excite me like the Superman cartoon announcement does, but I'm still definitely looking forward to this!

Astonishing Member

Looks great!

We haven't actually had a noir-ish Batman cartoon since BTAS. The Batman and Beware the Batman were more action-oriented (and the latter was trying its best to be something different in terms of characters and villains), and Brave and the Bold was just sheer Silver Age-style team-up gold.

So this looks really promising, especially with what looks like the original Bob Kane cowl design (which, if I remember correctly, even Beware the Batman went for). I'm guessing this is definitely something Golden Age inspired, more so than even BTAS. And with Reeves involved and the talk about the ''psychology'' of the characters you can bet that Batman will be more of a detective and less of a ninja in this one!

If they are going for something more Golden Age, then I do hope they use some Golden Age villains from the early Kane/Finger days, and/or adapt some of the stories from that first year. Yes, I'd love to see the likes of Joker and Penguin, but I'd really be interested to see retro takes on Hugo Strange, the Mad Monk and Dr. Death too.

And yeah, I'd prefer if they avoided Robin for the first season at least. But if they do have him, I'd love to see the version straight out of 'Tec # 38.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I hope Golden Age villains like the Mad Monk with Dala, Dr. Death, and The Original Version of the Basil Karlo-Clayface will be used.
    Also hoping that The Spook will finally make his animated debut.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I hope Golden Age villains like the Mad Monk with Dala, Dr. Death, and The Original Version of the Basil Karlo-Clayface will be used.
    Also hoping that The Spook will finally make his animated debut.
    I hope so too. They need to give those villains some love so the villains can thrive (see Mr. Freeze's reimagining in BTAS).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Disagree. hope to see Robin…soon, and frequently!