Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The classic characters were designed to appeal to kids first and foremost and never had an issue of connecting to that audience.

What stories would they be re-telling? And if it's aimed at kids, it's not as if kids will have experienced much of those stories already anyway
    The classics were designed to attract kids and that appeal has remained for over 80 years. You are correct,

Supersons is different. The comics by Tomasi managed to capture exactly what childhood feels like.

Relatable to kids in a way Batman and Superman have never had.

For adults like myself nostalgia and an escape back to the innocent days when I was growing up.
    Refreshingly different yet familiar.

Supersons appeal is different from that of their dad's. They offer something that they never have.

Even their dynamic while similar to that between their dad's is different enough to feel unique.

There's a reason why the Supersons have acquired such a strong and loyal fanbase in such a short time.

The classic have endured and I don't see their appeal decreasing anytime soon.

However classics alone won't help DC/WB to recapture it's former place in the world of comics. If DC/WB wants to compete with superhero animated content available on streaming today then they need more variety.

They need to mix the classics with the new. There's no superhero content, duo or comic out there that feels like Supersons.

Injustice is coming out next year however Homelander has uncut the surprise element of an evil Superman. Even the infamous Joker chest punch now has already been done.

The Superman fighting and killing Shazam has been undercut by Nolan killing the Guardians.

There's nothing like Supersons at the moment and WB should strike now. Get in on the ground floor.

There's nothing wrong with doing a series focusing on the classics.
    Fun for all the family and they are very well known [though that didn't help Action, Beware batman]

However with a Supersons show DC delivers something different, be the first to introduce the audience to something new and fun for all the family.

A Supersons animated series would be really cool and shouldn't stop WB from making a Batman series AND a Batman series.

I don't get why it has to be an 'either or' situation. [actually I do. It cost's a lot of money to make a series ]
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-21-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    However with a Supersons show DC delivers something different, be the first to introduce the audience to something new and fun for all the family.

A Supersons animated series would be really cool and shouldn't stop WB from making a Batman series AND a Batman series.

I don't get why it has to be an 'either or' situation. [actually I do. It cost's a lot of money to make a series ]
    Yes, ideally it shouldn't have to be either/or but money is the issue.

I'm biased in that I'm dying for a new Superman cartoon and don't care for the Supersons, but if the Supersons was announced tomorrow and we were still getting a Superman cartoon I wouldn't poo-poo on it because at least I'd otherwise be getting Clark and Bruce.

Astonishing Member

So anyone have any thoughts on which characters they expect/hope to see on this show (apart from Batman of course )?

I guess Alfred is a given. I wonder if we'll get the more 'active' ex-military/Secret Service take on Alfred, or the more conventional gentleman's gentleman take?

Jim Gordon would be a given too. I'm guessing they'd have a younger Gordon who's a liuetanant rather than Commissioner. Wonder if we'll have them as allies from the start or initially present him as an antagonist of sorts who's relationship with Batman gradually develops.

I wouldn't mind seeing Julie Madison in the supporting cast especially, especially if we're going for a Golden Age vibe. I think at this early point in his Batman career, Bruce could be in a steady relationship and contemplate a life outside the cave. Or Vicky Vale to have a journalist character (and she's got more name recognition thanks to the Burton movie).

Lucius Fox might not be a bad addition either, in his 'gadget guy' avatar of course. And maybe Luke or Jace could cameo as kids inspired by Batman.

Apart from the rogue's gallery, it'd be great to see the likes of Carmine Falcone and/or Sal Maroni. Or Tony Zucco, especially if they want to set up Robin down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    So anyone have any thoughts on which characters they expect/hope to see on this show (apart from Batman of course )?

I guess Alfred is a given. I wonder if we'll get the more 'active' ex-military/Secret Service take on Alfred, or the more conventional gentleman's gentleman take?

Jim Gordon would be a given too. I'm guessing they'd have a younger Gordon who's a liuetanant rather than Commissioner. Wonder if we'll have them as allies from the start or initially present him as an antagonist of sorts who's relationship with Batman gradually develops.

I wouldn't mind seeing Julie Madison in the supporting cast especially, especially if we're going for a Golden Age vibe. I think at this early point in his Batman career, Bruce could be in a steady relationship and contemplate a life outside the cave. Or Vicky Vale to have a journalist character (and she's got more name recognition thanks to the Burton movie).

Lucius Fox might not be a bad addition either, in his 'gadget guy' avatar of course. And maybe Luke or Jace could cameo as kids inspired by Batman.

Apart from the rogue's gallery, it'd be great to see the likes of Carmine Falcone and/or Sal Maroni. Or Tony Zucco, especially if they want to set up Robin down the line.
    I think they might do what Harley did. batman and his rougues, Alfred, Jim with the family not set up as regulars but coming in for guest spots.

I don't expect we'll see Batman going through ALL the Robins. I don't expect we'll see Dick becoming Robin and then becoming Nightwing. Rather like the Harley quinn show I expect Dick to be introduced as Nightwing, If Tim shows up I expect it'll be as RR etc

I think they'll keep the focus on Batman and his rogues

When it comes to the family. I think we'll see some.

I want to see Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl etc as many cameos as they can fit.

I want to see newer Rogues like Pyg as well as classics like the Al Ghuls. I don't want Kite man or hear anyone say "Hell yeah"
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-22-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think they might do what Harley did. batman and his rougues, Alfred, Jim with the family not set up as regulars but coming in for guest spots.

I don't expect we'll see Batman going through ALL the Robins. I don't expect we'll see Dick becoming Robin and then becoming Nightwing. Rather like the Harley quinn show I expect Dick to be introduced as Nightwing, If Tim shows up I expect it'll be as RR etc

I think they'll keep the focus on Batman and his rogues

When it comes to the family. I think we'll see some.

I want to see Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl etc as many cameos as they can fit.

I want to see newer Rogues like Pyg as well as classics like the Al Ghuls. I don't want Kite man or hear anyone say "Hell yeah"
    Yeah, I expect you're right if it comes to a veteran Batman.

But the Golden Age-style cowl leads me to believe this is more early Batman...in which case I guess if Robin does show up it'll be Dick.

That said, yeah, I guess it'll mostly be Batman and the rogues. But I hope we get some detective stories as well that don't necessarily involve big-name villains. Just Batman solving crimes involving the Mob or individual criminal masterminds. The kind of stuff we got to see fairly often in BTAS.

Yeah, I expect you're right if it comes to a veteran Batman.

But the Golden Age-style cowl leads me to believe this is more early Batman...in which case I guess if Robin does show up it'll be Dick.

That said, yeah, I guess it'll mostly be Batman and the rogues. But I hope we get some detective stories as well that don't necessarily involve big-name villains. Just Batman solving crimes involving the Mob or individual criminal masterminds. The kind of stuff we got to see fairly often in BTAS.
    Looking at Dc/WB's recent pattern I'd say that there's a strong chance that Duke will be Batman's main costumed ally not Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Looking at Dc/WB's recent pattern I'd say that there's a strong chance that Duke will be Batman's main costumed ally not Robin.
    This could be a good way for WB to show that they DO care about narrowing the gaps in unfair media representation.

Introducing Jace [good but comics are a niche market] then undercutting the move by Race bending Tim on the more global platform that is TV when they could have just had Duke an original Black hero who is not another Robin.

This is a 2nd chance to introduce the concept of a black sidekick/possible heir to Batman. Get the viewing audience used to it. Down the line if they do introduce Jace this hopefully will cut down on backlash.

As someone who wants more Dick as nightwing [less Dick as Robin] in outside media I'm cool with Duke as the sidekick.

However I also want Nightwing down the line.
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-22-2021 at 04:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

This could be a good way for WB to show that they DO care about narrowing the gaps in unfair media representation.

Introducing Jace [good but comics are a niche market] then undercutting the move by Race bending Tim on the more global platform that is TV when they could have just had Duke an original Black hero who is not another Robin.

This is a 2nd chance to introduce the concept of a black sidekick/possible heir to Batman. Get the viewing audience used to it. Down the line if they do introduce Jace this hopefully will cut down on backlash.

As someone who wants more Dick as nightwing [less Dick as Robin] in outside media I'm cool with Duke as the sidekick.

However I also want Nightwing down the line.
    Well, I suppose Duke is kinda era-appropriate for an early Batman...wasn't he in Zero Year? He could show up as a teenager who helps Batman out on occassion.

But I don't want him becoming Robin or anything else...definitely not before Dick becomes Robin. And ideally I want a season or two of solo Batman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I guess this series could be James Tynion's big break for all the new characters he's been making to show up in animation.

Well, I suppose Duke is kinda era-appropriate for an early Batman...wasn't he in Zero Year? He could show up as a teenager who helps Batman out on occassion.

But I don't want him becoming Robin or anything else...definitely not before Dick becomes Robin. And ideally I want a season or two of solo Batman.
    I wouldn't mind him just becoming Signal and we not get a Robin for once (cartoon-wise I mean - we've gotten Robin-less films for a while - and yes I know Beware didn't have a Robin, but it would have had CN not killed it).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I guess this series could be James Tynion's big break for all the new characters he's been making to show up in animation.
    Honestly, I'd love it if Punchline made her animated debut.

This show seems a little more old school or back-to-basics for me to expect them to incorporate a lot of modern stuff.

I think Punchline has a better chance of showing up in Harley's show.

I hope the play up the characters identities as much as their superhero identities. I enjoy seeing and watching Bruce Wayne the celebrity; Bruce Wayne the man and friend and mentor and teammate; Bruce Wayne as Matches Malone; and Bruce Wayne the Batman navigate and manipulate the world around them.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I hope the play up the characters identities as much as their superhero identities. I enjoy seeing and watching Bruce Wayne the celebrity; Bruce Wayne the man and friend and mentor and teammate; Bruce Wayne as Matches Malone; and Bruce Wayne the Batman navigate and manipulate the world around them.
    Yeah, I hope we get to see plenty of Bruce in this .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This show seems a little more old school or back-to-basics for me to expect them to incorporate a lot of modern stuff.

I think Punchline has a better chance of showing up in Harley's show.
    I could see that.