View Poll Results: Who should the X-men fight in their first MCU movie?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magneto

16 23.53%
  • Apocalypse

1 1.47%
  • Mr. Sinister

18 26.47%
  • Sentinels

23 33.82%
  • Friend of Humanity (or another mutant hate group)

15 22.06%
  • The Avengers

3 4.41%
  • The Hellfire Club

10 14.71%
  • Mystique and her Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

12 17.65%
  • William Stryker

2 2.94%
  • Arcade

5 7.35%
  • Shadow King

4 5.88%
  • Obnoxio the Clown

1 1.47%
  • Mojo

5 7.35%
  • That Max Headroom guy from the 90s Gen X Movie

1 1.47%
  • Other

4 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If its the 05 as the roster, I'd go with Sabretooth or Juggernaut.

Mr. Sinister or Shadow King also works.

Mojo should be the big bad of a Deadpool movie.

Astonishing Member

I'm going to say the Sentinels complete with the Master Mold and "genocidal A.I. that decides to protect humanity from itself" thing. They didn't quite take it that far in the Days of Future Past movie.

But I don't know. Maybe that would remind people too much of Ultron.

I think a break is needed on Magneto and Mystique for a while they should come in but not for a few movies although they can be shown and alluded to briefly....I voted for the Sentinels/Master Mold and also Arcade would be an interesting and different foe..Apoc can also be brought in later and hopefully better was a bit iffy on the MCU bringing him in but they did a really good job with Thanos although he was a bit nerfed but alot of characters are for the movies.....
    also voted other Would like to see Selene, Exodus,Proteus, Mr Sinister, Omega Red, Cameron Hodge/Phalanax in future movies Fox didn't scratch the surface of what could have been done hopefully the MCU will and do a good job of it.
    Last edited by cam18; 05-21-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Juggernaut or Shadow King

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    I think a break is needed on Magneto and Mystique for a while they should come in but not for a few movies although they can be shown and alluded to briefly....I voted for the Sentinels/Master Mold and also Arcade would be an interesting and different foe..Apoc can also be brought in later and hopefully better was bit iffy on the MCU bringing him in but they did a really good job with Thanos although he was a bit nerfed but alot of character are for the movies.....
    also voted other Would like to see Selene, Exodus,Proteus, Mr Sinister, Omega Red, Cameron Hodge/Phalanax in future movies Fox didn't scratch the surface of what could have been done hopefully the MCU will and do a good job of it.
    I think this is the way. A lot of those foes would really help the MCU X-Men shows/movies stand out from the XCU.

BANNED

How about less fighting and more drama?

Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen were the main rivals of the others films and not once did they fight each other and I would argue till now they have the most interesting or intriguing hero vs Anti Hero Villain arc in comic film history. wolverine did mostly all the fighting but that fitted his character. X-Men is still at its finest , A Soap Opera.

Also looked at superhero movie track records, how come X2 and DOFP has no big cgi major final fights that tore down entire towns and cities?

Fighting in comic films is now a cliché and even the most generic definition of comic books. Also isn't the action driven narrative of the MCU enough? why dont they try something new? there are now many kinds of more sophisticated comic book stories like Legion and Joker were fighting is not the main draw? I did not see Falcon and Winter Solider for a reason because the critics would not stop telling me how action packed it was, I may not also be seeing Shang CHI either because that is another film the main draw now is based on the action and the lead actor would not stop talking about it.

Many of us are tired....of action comic comic films and CGI, they have no substance anymore because they have become too much of the modem expected status quo of defining comic films.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I did not see Falcon and Winter Solider for a reason because the critics would not stop telling me how action packed it was, I may not also be seeing Shang CHI either because that is another film the main draw now is based on the action and the lead actor would not stop talking about it.
    You watch Mortal Kombat twice by your own words. You expressed interest in Suicide Squad and Injustice Apparently, you aren't that tired of action-packed movies. Weirdly no complaints about making Mortal Kombat a more sophisticated film.

Anyways I think Mr.Sinister would be a good first villain

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Anyone but Magneto. I think a shadowy organisation like Weapon X, Friends of Humanity or something similar would work well for a debut movie, although it all depends on how they're structuring this relaunch (movie, shows, etc)

Mojo should be the big bad of a Deadpool movie.
    I can actually see Longshot being able to support his own movie.

Cancel Culture.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    How about less fighting and more drama?

Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen were the main rivals of the others films and not once did they fight each other and I would argue till now they have the most interesting or intriguing hero vs Anti Hero Villain arc in comic film history. wolverine did mostly all the fighting but that fitted his character. X-Men is still at its finest , A Soap Opera.

Also looked at superhero movie track records, how come X2 and DOFP has no big cgi major final fights that tore down entire towns and cities?

Fighting in comic films is now a cliché and even the most generic definition of comic books. Also isn't the action driven narrative of the MCU enough? why dont they try something new? there are now many kinds of more sophisticated comic book stories like Legion and Joker were fighting is not the main draw? I did not see Falcon and Winter Solider for a reason because the critics would not stop telling me how action packed it was, I may not also be seeing Shang CHI either because that is another film the main draw now is based on the action and the lead actor would not stop talking about it.

Many of us are tired....of action comic comic films and CGI, they have no substance anymore because they have become too much of the modem expected status quo of defining comic films.
    I’m fine with “more drama”, but the Prof X and Magneto dynamic got tired very quickly. It’s ridiculous in the films that the X-Men kept aligning themselves with Magneto, only for him to then attack them or commit some atrocity. Plus, watching the franchise devolve into two old white dudes endlessly philosophizing was just lazy.

I hope the X-Men explore other villains, and not just the ultra powerful ones. The Brotherhood fronted by a BAD Mystique would work. Maybe Omega Red or a visit from the Imperial Guard? Mesmero could charm a few X-Men and pit them against each other, perhaps.

Magneto is fine, I just don’t want to see him become a mainstay again. Professor X + Magneto all over again would be incredibly dull.

I don’t think there should be a primary villain. The movie has enough to do, establishing mutants, connecting them to the MCU, and developing character. Maybe there should be some internal tension, with a throwaway group on the outskirts lighting the fuse (like the mutant liberation front).

But then, I know nothing about writing, so I’m happy for whatever they come up with!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Not Magneto for the love of God, can Magneto be an ally to the X-men or in my version of the X-men in the MCU. Cast him as the figurehead or leader of Genosha, I want to the first villains whoever they are to act as a natural contrast to the X-men to what the X-men represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I can actually see Longshot being able to support his own movie.
    That's fine too.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-21-2021 at 08:18 AM.

Friends of Humanity cast in the light of modern political protest groups is a sizzling first level for scary mob violence/ lynching low level mutants in the streets. Behind them(secretly funding) could be a cabal of elites(politicians, technocrats, etc), the Hellfire Club(OG human version), who are also interested in advanced AI robotics(Sentinels), and cybernetics(Reavers, etc), and ultimately transhumanism(nanobot Prime Sentinels based on extraterrestrial samples(Techno-organic virus from Warlock/Magus/Phalanx)).

I would slowly reveal all of that, though, in series, and do the first movie ala Giant Size and use Krakoa somehow for the big spectacle. X-Men excels best at the character level. You need to build up to the team movie. The MCU did Iron Man, Thor, and Cap individually first, then brought them together for the Avengers. Introduce the military industrial angle in a Wolverine/Weapon X D+ show first, introduce DARPA, and the Hellfire Club; mutants being bought/sold/experimented on, plans being made to exterminate them ultimately. In Storm's, dip into the mythology of the Eternals/Apocalypse and mutants as divine protectors of the earth[including nature, and baseline humanity], and maybe use Shadow King to explore the dark part of mutants as predators and catalysts for change. In Cyclops's, explore alien impacts on earth(with the Shi'Ar and more, maybe use the Z'Nox invasion arc, maybe a tease of the Technoarchy/Phalanx), and the classical superhero archetypal journey from orphan(including Sinister and Jack Winters) to found family(showing him recruiting the rest of the team with Xavier), to leader.

I think the only angle left to explore with Magneto after Foxmen milked him to death would be the messianic Avalon/Acolytes angle, eventually leading to the Genosha/Krakoa statesman. Which could be interesting. And while seeing his battle against Scott's team ala 1963's #1 could be cute for his series season ending, original Magneto was so hollow, it would be pure fanservice at this point. Maybe do a quick splash of it during a montage in the opening of the GS movie to establish the original team before sending them to Krakoa for the casual movie audience.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!