Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    She still looks like a dude to me, sorry but she does.

Damn, I despise the "Steven Universe" artwork style. I hope this cheap-looking trend ends soon.*hugs his stack of Manga*
    What world do you live in where this looks like Steven Universe? This looks more like Manga than Steven Universe

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The art style is DESIGNED to generate fan art. Short hair is easier to draw than long hair. So if you want kids to make fan art, you make her easy to draw.
    While I’m not a fan of it, the style could be great for Superman. As you said it’ll generate more fan art. It’s a simplistic design, but it’s something that is very popular right now. Superman desperately needs something to garner interest from a new generation of fans.

I wouldn't compare it to Steven Universe at all, it's in the vein of the new Voltron and She-Ra animation, a "quasi-anime" style. It's not even that out of place with the new DCAU style in my opinion. I'd even go so far as to say it's more detailed and complex than the old STAS art. That wasn't exactly realistic or highly detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    What world do you live in where this looks like Steven Universe? This looks more like Manga than Steven Universe
    I call them like I see them and this stuff looks like regurgitated rigatoni after three hours of digestion.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-20-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I wouldn't compare it to Steven Universe at all, it's in the vein of the new Voltron and She-Ra animation, a "quasi-anime" style. It's not even that out of place with the new DCAU style in my opinion. I'd even go so far as to say it's more detailed and complex than the old STAS art. That wasn't exactly realistic or highly detailed.
    This style is quasi-crap heck no it's just crap to me. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but in this case, if I was a Manga artist I would be so offended I might physically assault the perpetrators of this "art".
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-20-2021 at 01:31 PM.

The complaints about the style are funny to me (this isn’t aimed specifically at you Celgress, I’ve seen others likewise express dislike) because it’s a similar reaction to another show that I and others had that’s now beloved: Spectacular Spider-Man. I hated the design style of that show as someone who watched the 90s animated Spidey on VHS (remember those?) growing up. The old show was “dark” and “mature” and the people looked “realistic” in contrast to the “kiddie crap” of Spectacular. One sore point in particular for me was Venom. As a young boy I of course thought Venom was awesome just like 99% of all other boys who liked Spider-Man. So going from this:

To this:

Drove me up the f****** wall! What the hell they RUINED VENOM! He was so scary and intimidating and now he looked lame and weird! So I completely wrote SSM off and never watched it as a kid aside from the brief clips I saw on YT before I decided I hated the show. Wasn’t until years later that I ended up checking out the show again and guess what? I liked it! The fight scenes were much better because Spidey could actually throw a punch. There was less reuse of stock footage. The theme song was kickass. The storytelling felt true to comics, a merge of 616 and Ultimate. The point of all this for those of you put off initially: wait a bit. Check out the trailer at least. It’s been over 20 years since the last Superman cartoon, and unlike the animated movies this isn’t meant for an adult audience, this is for all ages.

But y’know what? So was the DCAU. So was Batman the Brave and the Bold (which likewise got a lot of hate for being “corny” and not dark like Batman is “supposed” to be but is now beloved). They still had darker episodes that handled more mature things and I expect this will do likewise. The number 1 thing for me is the action needs to be good. The DCAU was pretty damn stiff, especially where Superman was concerned. If this shows a Superman who is much more fluid, who uses his powers much more creatively, who gets to throw down with more of his Rogues Gallery, than I can’t see how most of us won’t enjoy it. Seeing Superman do cool **** is exactly what I want to see no matter the format.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The complaints about the style are funny to me (this isn’t aimed specifically at you Celgress, I’ve seen others likewise express dislike) because it’s a similar reaction to another show that I and others had that’s now beloved: Spectacular Spider-Man. I hated the design style of that show as someone who watched the 90s animated Spidey on VHS (remember those?) growing up. The old show was “dark” and “mature” and the people looked “realistic” in contrast to the “kiddie crap” of Spectacular. One sore point in particular for me was Venom. As a young boy I of course thought Venom was awesome just like 99% of all other boys who liked Spider-Man. So going from this:

To this:

Drove me up the f****** wall! What the hell they RUINED VENOM! He was so scary and intimidating and now he looked lame and weird! So I completely wrote SSM off and never watched it as a kid aside from the brief clips I saw on YT before I decided I hated the show. Wasn’t until years later that I ended up checking out the show again and guess what? I liked it! The fight scenes were much better because Spidey could actually throw a punch. There was less reuse of stock footage. The theme song was kickass. The storytelling felt true to comics, a merge of 616 and Ultimate. The point of all this for those of you put off initially: wait a bit. Check out the trailer at least. It’s been over 20 years since the last Superman cartoon, and unlike the animated movies this isn’t meant for an adult audience, this is for all ages.

But y’know what? So was the DCAU. So was Batman the Brave and the Bold (which likewise got a lot of hate for being “corny” and not dark like Batman is “supposed” to be but is now beloved). They still had darker episodes that handled more mature things and I expect this will do likewise. The number 1 thing for me is the action needs to be good. The DCAU was pretty damn stiff, especially where Superman was concerned. If this shows a Superman who is much more fluid, who uses his powers much more creatively, who gets to throw down with more of his Rogues Gallery, than I can’t see how most of us won’t enjoy it. Seeing Superman do cool **** is exactly what I want to see no matter the format.
    I'm going to say something a little vulgar here but I think it is the crux of the issue. In Spec and Brave & the Bold while stylized women still looked like women they had boobs & curves (to a degree) for example. Lois looks like a teenage boy to me and I'd wager a lot of other people.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-20-2021 at 01:36 PM.

I'm going to say something a little vulgar here but I think it is the crux of the issue. In Spec and Brave & the Bold while stylized women still looked like women they had boobs & curves (to a degree) for example. Lois looks like a teenage boy to me and I'd wager a lot of other people.
    I mean, she looks feminine in the actual production still. Just because she doesn’t have large breasts or has short hair doesn’t make her look like she’s a boy. It’s also not a bad thing that we are getting away from bombarding kids with unrealistic body types. As a parent of kids who are the target market for this stuff it’s disgusting to see how early the body shaming bullshit starts now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I mean, she looks feminine in the actual production still. Just because she doesn’t have large breasts or has short hair doesn’t make her look like she’s a boy. It’s also not a bad thing that we are getting away from bombarding kids with unrealistic body types. As a parent of kids who are the target market for this stuff it’s disgusting to see how early the body shaming bullshit starts now.
    I don't see any breasts at all, but maybe that's just me. If they were supposed to be teens in this or pre-teens I'd be fine but nah they look like kids, well, except for Clark. So, yeah, a hard pass for me. If people say it is good I might watch it later.

BANNED

This doesn't look like anime to me, no offense. Even females with manly or child-like bodies tend to be dressed or otherwise appear ultra-feminine in Anime/Manga (see Chibiusa from Sailor Moon) perhaps too much, not androgynous. Hell, many guys look overly feminine in the anime style lol.
    Referring to women who are slim and smaller chested as being “manly” and having “child like bodies” is extremely offensive.

Womanhood is not defined by being super curvy and the implication that petite women without curves are men or children is EXTREMELY offensive language.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Referring to women who are slim and smaller chested as being “manly” and having “child like bodies” is extremely offensive.

Womanhood is not defined by being super curvy and the implication that petite women without curves are men or children is EXTREMELY offensive language.
    Be offended I don't care. We all have our opinion.

BANNED

I don't see any breasts at all, but maybe that's just me. If they were supposed to be teens in this or pre-teens I'd be fine but nah they look like kids, well, except for Clark. So, yeah, a hard pass for me. If people say it is good I might watch it later.
    There are adult women who are small chested. It doesn’t mean they “look like kids” and referring to flat chested women like this and stripping them of their womanhood is extremely problematic and very very much a form of body shaming FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    There are adult women who are small chested. It doesn’t mean they “look like kids” and referring to flat chested women like this and stripping them of their womanhood is extremely problematic and very very much a form of body shaming FYI.
    Lois in that artwork looks like a pre-teen to me. I call them like I see them.

BANNED

Be offended I don't care. We all have our opinion.
    Ok well this is a harmful opinion that hurts literally ALL women across the world.

Defining womanhood under such narrow terms and body shaming of any kind around breast size and bodies actively harms ALL women. This is a form of extreme misogyny. So you are entitled to your opinion, yes, but it’s something that absolutely has to be called out. This is actively harmful language and I’m saying that as an extremely curvy woman myself who has worn a D cup since I was 12. This kind of language is what contributed to women like me being overly sexualized as a teen girl because, obviously, big boobs and curves equals adult.

Please just think about this.

BANNED

Lois in that artwork looks like a pre-teen to me. I call them like I see them.
    Because you’ve been lead to believe, culturally, that boobs and curves equal adult. Which is NOT true. It’s actually linked in many ways to the reason curvy teen girls get stereotyped as “older” and preyed on by older men. It’s actually a super big deal.