Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Ok well this is a harmful opinion that hurts literally ALL women across the world.

Defining womanhood under such narrow terms and body shaming of any kind around breast size and bodies actively harms ALL women. This is a form of extreme misogyny. So you are entitled to your opinion, yes, but it’s something that absolutely has to be called out. This is actively harmful language and I’m saying that as an extremely curvy woman myself who has worn a D cup since I was 12. This kind of language is what contributed to women like me being overly sexualized as a teen girl because, obviously, big boobs and curves equals adult.

Please just think about this.
    I was talking about artwork, not real people.

PS You're not going to change my opinion by labeling it as "problematic".
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I was able to tell Lois was a 20-something female immediately while looking at the image. And the art style is similar to the new She-Ra cartoon (and shares at least one of the writers), which did a great job at showing a lot of women of different body types.

Her look doesn't scream "boy" to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

Variety in artwork for characters that children are going to be viewing and looking up to is pretty important as well.

We want some of the little girls in the target audience to see themselves in Lois Lane, same with other female characters who don't look exactly like her. It's aimed at kids, and kids deserve to see variety in their entertainment that reflects them and their experiences.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 05-20-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I was able to tell Lois was a 20-something female immediately while looking at the image. And the art style is similar to the new She-Ra cartoon (and shares at least one of the writers), which did a great job at showing a lot of women of different body types.

Her look doesn't scream "boy" to me at all.
    Ah, thanks for the info. She-Ra, now I know why I hate it. That show was terrible, IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I mean, she looks feminine in the actual production still. Just because she doesn’t have large breasts or has short hair doesn’t make her look like she’s a boy. It’s also not a bad thing that we are getting away from bombarding kids with unrealistic body types. As a parent of kids who are the target market for this stuff it’s disgusting to see how early the body shaming bullshit starts now.
    Yeah. Thanks for this. These messages are so toxic for our kids and as a Mom myself now I shudder at these convos.

This isn’t my ideal look for Lois but there is nothing ::inherently:: wrong with it either.

Because you’ve been lead to believe, culturally, that boobs and curves equal adult. Which is NOT true. It’s actually linked in many ways to the reason curvy teen girls get stereotyped as “older” and preyed on by older men. It’s actually a super big deal.
    I can't reply as I'd like to this without getting banned. I'll only say - you should take a basic biology class or intro to human anatomy.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ah, thanks for the info. She-Ra, now I know why I hate it. That show was terrible, IMO.
    Did you actually watch it, or just look at the artwork and determine it was bad?

Also probably wasn't aimed primarily at your age bracket anyway.

I'm going to say something a little vulgar here but I think it is the crux of the issue. In Spec and Brave & the Bold while stylized women still looked like women they had boobs & curves (to a degree) for example. Lois looks like a teenage boy to me and I'd wager a lot of other people.
    Well I’m not going to argue with you about a cartoon character’s breast size lol. Agree to disagree then.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Yes I understand you are talking about artwork but you can likely understand why saying that a flat chested woman without curves “looks like a child” is likely something ACTUAL petite women hear literally all the time and it’s very hurtful.

I have friends who are extremely self conscious about their lack of curves and they get told this ::exact:: thing (“you look 12”) on a regular basis and it’s not at all a nice thing to say. So, yes, this is art but art reflects life.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well I’m not going to argue with you about a cartoon character’s breast size lol. Agree to disagree then.

Why the heck is Sups hanging out with those twelve-year-olds? I'm going to call the cops or Chris Hansen from NBC.

Yes I understand you are talking about artwork but you can likely understand why saying that a flat chested woman without curves “looks like a child” is likely something ACTUAL petite women hear literally all the time and it’s very hurtful.

I have friends who are extremely self conscious about their lack of curves and they get told this ::exact:: thing (“you look 12”) on a regular basis and it’s not at all a nice thing to say. So, yes, this is art but art reflects life.
    Yeah, things have gone off the rails here (I shouldn't have mentioned "boobs" lol). I have nothing more to say about this subject. I don't want to be banned or have this thread locked (although I don't like the concept of this show others likely do) so goodbye

The complaints about Lois’s design are also sort of weird because I don’t remember anyone complaining about her look in the Superman Family cartoon that was pitched, which was very similar just older:

Also if you want to talk about tumblr shows, that show was tumblr as hell in the pitch, it even had the dreaded tumblr nose

It also had Steel, Kenan, and Krypto which I am all hoping show up in this show.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

I call them like I see them and this stuff looks like regurgitated rigatoni after three hours of digestion.
    Dude, if you think this artstyle looks anything like Steven Universe, you legitimately need to have your eyes examined because they have no similarities whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Dude, if you think this artstyle looks anything like Steven Universe, you legitimately need to have your eyes examined because they have no similarities whatsoever
    I can say the same for you but in the opposite direction.

Yeah. Thanks for this. These messages are so toxic for our kids and as a Mom myself now I shudder at these convos.

This isn’t my ideal look for Lois but there is nothing ::inherently:: wrong with it either.
    I don't think I was a particularly sheltered kid, but the age this stuff starts now - for boys and girls - is so sad. It is definitely something we have been conscious of as parents with the media the kids consume (and how you talk around them).

I personally like the designs for this show and it did get the stamp of approval from my kids as well. They've binged Voltron and She-Ra already so this is in their wheelhouse.

Is Superman actually getting an animated series in this day and age? Well, I'll be damned! The promo and character designs are fantastic and the premise has me hooked. Fun adventures with a dash of comedy and romance are exactly the type of stories I want to see more of featuring Superman.