Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m also hoping the Legion shows up at some point, would be cool to go to the future with them.
    I guess this would be a chance to see whether Bendis' Legion is going to effect their media representation moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess this would be a chance to see whether Bendis' Legion is going to effect their media representation moving forward.
    They went with the Bendis designs for DCUO, I assume they’ll carry forward even if the stories would likely draw on the Silver Age, Giffen, or Johns.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Black Jimmy will never be a mainstay. Neither Black Wally West. Besides the black Wally West is now a separate character and not the original. Kendra Saunders isn't even a redhead. She has black hair ( if I'm not mistaken).
    True.

Wally West really isn't a successful example of race-bending...to the point where they literally declared the race-bent version to be a separate character and the return of the original (white) version was heralded as the return of the 'classic' DCU after the 'failed' New 52 reboot.

We did have a black Wally West on the CW show who fared a lot better, mainly because he was a lot more like classic Wally, but they ultimately didn't do much with the character.

All this does raise a pertinent question though - what happens if a character gets race-bent so often in adaptations/reboots? Can creators restore the 'original' version without being accussed of whitewashing? This came up with Julia Pennyworth in CW's Batwoman - the original character from the Bronze Age was white, the New 52 version (that the show heavily drew from) was black (mixed-race, technically), but the show has a white actress playing her. There were a couple of angry articles slamming the show for whitewashing - nothing major though since Julia is a fairly obscure character. But it does make you wonder...in the current political climate, would creators/producers be scared to un-racebend characters?

It depends on whether they’re going to do the whole “Clark trained at the Fortress under his AI father’s eye” or if they’re going with “Clark knows he’s an alien but knows absolutely nothing about his heritage, and we see him put on the suit for the first time in the series”. For the later it wouldn’t make sense to have it yet. I do hope he gets it soon because it’s cool to have and hasn’t really been served well on the live action side.

I’m also hoping the Legion shows up at some point, would be cool to go to the future with them.
    I wouldn't mind a simple makeshift Fortress. One of my all-time favorite Fortress' was from STAS...Superman literally dives into a lake to emerge in a cavern in the Arctic where he stashes away dangerous alien stuff and memorabilia. Its perfect for a 'Year One' era Superman.

And if they have a more elaborate Fortress, I'd prefer something other than the crystal Fortress design, which is way too overused across media.

If they want a real deep-cut, why not go with a design similar to the 'Secret Citadel' from the Golden Age? It was located in the mountains just outside Metropolis, so its a far cry from the usual Arctic theme.

I liked the Tesseract Fortress

That said the crystal Fortress is so iconic at this point that I can’t ever see Superman shaking that Fortress aesthetic off.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I would want something that has the asthetic of astroboy and irongiant...Something that feels like it's made of junk.Something that feels like made by a mad scientist(Mua!ha!ha!).I appreciate the silverage key.The key should have some quirk.It should be humongous or something that hides for superman to find or a guardian that asks/gives puzzles for superman to solve...Something that feels like it living thing...

This could be something like the first phase

This being something like the finished product.
    Note:the robots are inspired by max fliescher superman and mixed with silverage.I would appreciate clark himself making it from junk he collected.I would like to think of keelix as the fortress coming into life.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-20-2021 at 11:52 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    yeah, turning an entire show around because of a different looking superman just doesn't make sense to me.

I wonder if lois' characterization will be anything like this:

I LOVE her!!!!!!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Black Jimmy will never be a mainstay. Neither Black Wally West. Besides the black Wally West is now a separate character and not the original. Kendra Saunders isn't even a redhead. She has black hair ( if I'm not mistaken).
    It depends on whether they’re going to do the whole “Clark trained at the Fortress under his AI father’s eye” or if they’re going with “Clark knows he’s an alien but knows absolutely nothing about his heritage, and we see him put on the suit for the first time in the series”. For the later it wouldn’t make sense to have it yet. I do hope he gets it soon because it’s cool to have and hasn’t really been served well on the live action side.

I liked the Tesseract Fortress

That said the crystal Fortress is so iconic at this point that I can’t ever see Superman shaking that Fortress aesthetic off.
    The tesseract isn't my favorite Fortress, but its the first one I was ever exposed to, apart from the STAS caverns, so I have a fondness for it

I know the crystal Fortress is iconic, but to me its another example of the slavishness to the Donner/Reeve Superman that the franchise needs to shake off. There's more to Krypton than it being the icy crystalline planet from those movies, and to me, the Fortress is, among other things, a museum to Krypton as well.

At this point, doing something other than a crystal Fortress might actually be a chance for mind-blowing innovation!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I just noticed that it's almost always the redheads that get raceswamped. Why?
    Everyone knows that gingers have no souls! Duh!
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

They went with the Bendis designs for DCUO, I assume they’ll carry forward even if the stories would likely draw on the Silver Age, Giffen, or Johns.

Is DC Universe online popular ? I know Injustice and the Arkham games are, but are mainstearm audiences interested in gaming ?
    Last edited by Veni; 05-21-2021 at 06:55 AM.

I'm fine with any Fortress design that looks cool and not like a mancave (sorry SM & L) .

Is DC Universe online popular ? I know Injustice and the Arkham games are, but are mainstearm audiences interested in gaming ?
    Gaming is a larger industry than films are these days believe it or not. That said no, DCUO isn’t that huge. It’s old and outdated, they really should just make a sequel instead of doing piecemeal updates but who knows if that will ever happen?

The Bendis Legion looks are fine, I was one of the few who seemed to not have a problem with them. Its just the reboot from a narrative pov that needs to die and hopefully won't be adapted anywhere else. Grafting the looks on top of better takes though, that I'd be all for.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The Bendis Legion looks are fine, I was one of the few who seemed to not have a problem with them. Its just the reboot from a narrative pov that needs to die and hopefully won't be adapted anywhere else. Grafting the looks on top of better takes though, that I'd be all for.
    I liked a lot of the Sook designs for the Legion. Didn't care to try the series because of the Bendis writing and it being a reboot, but the designs sticking around is fine. Especially as it makes them look more varied than mostly white kids. They are an ideal IP to do that with.

Astonishing Member

I had never read/watched anything Legion before Bendis so I didn't mind the costumes and I enjoyed the book more than most on this board and I speak as someone who's not fond of team books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I liked a lot of the Sook designs for the Legion. Didn't care to try the series because of the Bendis writing and it being a reboot, but the designs sticking around is fine. Especially as it makes them look more varied than mostly white kids. They are an ideal IP to do that with.
    To be honest I don't think a lot of the Sook designs would adapt well outside his art. But that's just me.

I guess it's also on a design-by-design basis. I'm not against a more diverse Legion off-hand (once again racebending a redhead aside) but I don't think we need naked sand Dream Girl or whatever the heck Sook's Phantom Girl is supposed to look like.