Page 18 of 79 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    From that picture, Jimmy definitely looks like a slightly-outside observer to the madness that is the Lois & Clark duo, so I'd assume he's slightly younger to complement that impression. Definitely not a teenager, though.
    For some reason that just warms my Superman and Lois ever loving heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah, they’re both starring young Supermen. I hope this series doesn’t mean we won’t ever get to see Criss headline another solo movie (I know that’s greedy of me, but they’re not going to stop making Batman solos!) since I really like his take. The DTV’s can be a more mature young Superman whereas this will be all ages, so I’d like to see them adapt different storylines.
    These series should have no bearing on the DTV side, so if Criss doesn't headline another solo film it won't be because of this show. I'd also would like to see more of that version of Superman in future solo movies (I'm not a fan of them doing another shared universe so soon, but the last Superman solo was good so if it stays solo hopefully it'll stay good...).

Lucy - There’s a chance, if Sam shows up I could easily see Lucy showing up as well, working alongside him.

Lana - Don’t know, she might show up in flashbacks, but I doubt she’d be anything other than flashback or a one off episode material. If they do bring in Steel, I’d like to see him and Lana hook up, I enjoyed that relationship in the comics.

Lori - Probably won’t but she should.
    Lana would make sense for Smallville flashbacks and as a contrast to Clark's relationship with Lois.

I had to actually look it up but the last time Lucy ever actually appeared in a cartoon was a flashback to her and Lois as young girls in S:TAS.
    Yeah, they’re both starring young Supermen. I hope this series doesn’t mean we won’t ever get to see Criss headline another solo movie (I know that’s greedy of me, but they’re not going to stop making Batman solos!) since I really like his take. The DTV’s can be a more mature young Superman whereas this will be all ages, so I’d like to see them adapt different storylines.
    I think we'll see more of Criss' Superman one way or another, and I think there's probably a better chance of more Superman films than there were before.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lana would make sense for Smallville flashbacks and as a contrast to Clark's relationship with Lois.

I had to actually look it up but the last time Lucy ever actually appeared in a cartoon was a flashback to her and Lois as young girls in S:TAS.

I think we'll see more of Criss' Superman one way or another, and I think there's probably a better chance of more Superman films than there were before.
    If they’re adapting the first game like you think for Injustice, Criss Superman meeting Newbern Superman actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea since Justice Society also had Multiverse shenanigans involving multiple Supermen too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Going to post my initial thoughts before I dive into the thread. I avoided this place for a few days when I saw this news because I knew this place would explode and not in ways I love.

A fun, lighthearted Supermanime is right up my alley. This could absolutely rule.

Of course they racebent the ginger. He has Jimmy's general demeanor so that's what matters (lol Mr. Suave CW Jimmy). But a tie instead of bowtie? Pistols at dawn, production team!

Looks like they're taking Max Landis's idea to make Lois half Asian.

Quaid is going to rule as lovable goofball Clark.

I'm pretty excited. My girlfriend is pretty into it too so hopefully this and S&L reignite her love for the Man of Steel.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-23-2021 at 02:51 PM.

If they’re adapting the first game like you think for Injustice, Criss Superman meeting Newbern Superman actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea since Justice Society also had Multiverse shenanigans involving multiple Supermen too.
    My only issue with it is I'm not sure Criss' Superman is experienced enough to where I think he could stand up to Newbern Supes. At least in the game we had a Prime Superman at his peak fighting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'm generally a fan of short hair, even the weird short haired version from the Busiek/Pacheo run, so that whole pic works for me.
    First thing I thought was "Pacheco's Lois?" I never liked that hair style on her in the comics but it works better in animation. I still prefer Lois with long hair, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm an Always Long Hair-er for Lois, but I've become more attracted to certain short hairstyles on women the older I get.

The raceswapping, I'm in general not a fan of the idea for various reasons but that's been argued before elsewhere. But I guess it doesn't bother me as much with Jimmy because unlike Superman, his look just isn't quite asi iconic. I mean to us comic book readers of course he's the sweater vest wearing ginger. But general audience? In live action I don't think the character has ever actually been portrayed by a freckled redhead. His look tends to vary anyway.
    I generally don't like raceswapping either but as long as the impulse to make him "cool" like on the CW is resisted, I'm fine with it. Jimmy is Jimmy. If you're going to take away his bowties and change his personality, you may as well invent a new character. This looks more like Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Going to post my initial thoughts before I dive into the thread. I avoided this place for a few days when I saw this news because I knew this place would explode and not in ways I love.

A fun, lighthearted Supermanime is right up my alley. This could absolutely rule.

Of course they racebent the ginger. He has Jimmy's general demeanor so that's what matters (lol Mr. Suave CW Jimmy). But a tie instead of bowtie? Pistols at dawn, production team!

Looks like they're taking Max Landis's idea to make Lois half Asian.

Quaid is going to rule as lovable goofball Clark.

I'm pretty excited. My girlfriend is pretty into it too so hopefully this and S&L reignite her love for the Man of Steel.
    Lol it’s actually been pretty positive so far overall.
    My only issue with it is I'm not sure Criss' Superman is experienced enough to where I think he could stand up to Newbern Supes. At least in the game we had a Prime Superman at his peak fighting him.
    Meh, I really don’t care if evil Superman jobs to good Superman. I think it would be more interesting to have Criss be just starting out, and then he meets the a version of himself that really makes him question everything: should he be Superman, should he be with Lois, look at how bad everything could turn out. Then the next solo movie I’d do would be an adaption of Exile where he leaves Earth and goes off to space to do some soul searching and ends up on Warworld.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Meh, I really don’t care if evil Superman jobs to good Superman. I think it would be more interesting to have Criss be just starting out, and then he meets the a version of himself that really makes him question everything: should he be Superman, should he be with Lois, look at how bad everything could turn out. Then the next solo movie I’d do would be an adaption of Exile where he leaves Earth and goes off to space to do some soul searching and ends up on Warworld.
    I'm not talking about jobbing, I'm just looking at it from a thematic standpoint. If Criss had maybe 2-3 more movies under his belt, I think I could buy it better.

Like I don't expect a fresh Superman coming into his own to fight Ultraman that early into his career.

I'd honestly rather not tie Criss/shared continuity Superman into Injustice, even as the good Superman. My obvious distaste for them doing yet another shared universe right away after killing the last one aside, this new universe is too new (there's not even a JL yet!) and Injustice too popular to a fandom that reaches far beyond the fans who normally check out the other animated movies (a lot of gamers who haven't seen and won't Man of Tomorrow/JSA WW2/TLH/etc will be picking this one up) to make it seem like a good idea to me. Makes more sense that this film is it's own thing.

But then on the other hand, the only film I really cared about was TLH and they decided to go full shared universe with that sadly, so if they decided to include this in I wouldn't care much because it's just some title I'm not as connected to and I'm just too wrapped up in praying that the shared universe doesn't screw up the actual good title too much to care about some videogame tie in. Like I said, used to be I would expect a TLH adaptation to be as great as Under the Red Hood and The Dark Knight Returns, but I now know that's not going to happen so just hoping for "decent."

At least with the origin story done most of my favorite Superman stories left to tell have already been done or are too Elseworldy (looking at you my beautiful Superman Smashes the Klan) to fit into this new universe, so I don't have to go to this sort of dread for his adaptations currently.

Like I don't expect a fresh Superman coming into his own to fight Ultraman that early into his career.
    To be fair, a Superman coming into his own would most likely be going up against a young Ultraman also coming into his own early in his career too. Which honestly, could be a cool take on it, to see how two rookie Supermen takes square off versus two more established versions.

Wonder if this show will have Zod. He’s been oddly underutilized on the animated side despite being the constant go-to besides Lex on the film side. If they do, I hope they go with a more nuanced take on him rather than the Stamp hamminess.

Wonder if this show will have Zod. He’s been oddly underutilized on the animated side despite being the constant go-to besides Lex on the film side. If they do, I hope they go with a more nuanced take on him rather than the Stamp hamminess.
    Maybe, but at this point I'd like less of Lex and Zod, at least for a while. I would prefer seeing guys like Bizarro, Parasite, Toyman, the lesser used villains I keep forgetting or don't know exist, with maybe Brainiac as the season's big bad before going more New Gods/Darkseid in season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe, but at this point I'd like less of Lex and Zod, at least for a while. I would prefer seeing guys like Bizarro, Parasite, Toyman, the lesser used villains I keep forgetting or don't know exist, with maybe Brainiac as the season's big bad before going more New Gods/Darkseid in season 2.
    Darkseid is far more overused than any other Rogue besides Lex. Plus I don’t really like him as just a Superman Rogue, I’d prefer to leave him as a JL threat. I don’t think any solo hero should be able to beat him on their own. We’re getting Intergang to start apparently, so they’re beginning small.

Lol it’s actually been pretty positive so far overall.

I saw black Jimmy Olsen and knew it'd be the usual "ugh racebending" vs "if you don't agree with racebending everyone you're a grand wizard of the KKK" nonsense these boards descend into sometimes. It's not the worst incarnation I've seen, but I gave up about halfway into the thread.

I love Exile. It'd be interesting to have Criss kill the evil Superman of Injustice to get us to Exile. Didn't even think of that. That could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I saw black Jimmy Olsen and knew it'd be the usual "ugh racebending" vs "if you don't agree with racebending everyone you're a grand wizard of the KKK" nonsense these boards descend into sometimes. It's not the worst incarnation I've seen, but I gave up about halfway into the thread.

I love Exile. It'd be interesting to have Criss kill the evil Superman of Injustice to get us to Exile. Didn't even think of that. That could work.
    I just want Steel to show up, if he does I don’t mind the racebending, but if they keep him out I’ll consider it a missed opportunity to not have SuperIron Man with a hammer as the black rep in this show. Irons is so cool and I want him to get more respect.

I didn’t mean to have him kill Newbern ! The ending would be the same as the game where he just imprisones his counterpart at the end. I just figured he’d exile himself because he’s scared that could be him, so he chooses to leave Earth and ends up fighting on Warworld. I’d have him meet Maxima there and start a relationship with her as he fights in matches and ultimately has to see if he can hold on to his no-kill rule in this kind of environment. Basically the whole movie is Clark unconsciously putting himself in a similar environment as his counterpart: he’s hooked up with a bloodthirsty warrior-queen who wants him to kill for the greater good, and Clark comes face to face with the guy who has caused him so much suffering (Mongul) and has to choose if he wants to kill him or not. Obviously he doesn’t and realizes he’s not that other version of him.