Page 20 of 79 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Does anyone know who the girl on the right is?
    She’s an OC. Apparently she’s a member of the Newskid Legion (formerly the Newsboy Legion). They’re playing with a lot of Kirby concepts from what we can see, so Vakanai is probably going to get his wish and Darkseid will show up at some point. I just hope other Superman Rogues, particularly ones specific to Superman that he doesn’t share with the wider DCU, are represented as well. Quaid reading All-Star makes me hope Solaris could show up, along with Bizarro and Bizarroworld. But I certainly don’t mind using a lot of the Kirby lore for Superman given so much of it originated in Jimmy Olsen and how involved Superman was with early Kirby Fourth World stories.

Hope Metropolis is a Kirby-esque high tech wonderland in this take.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She’s an OC. Apparently she’s a member of the Newskid Legion (formerly the Newsboy Legion). They’re playing with a lot of Kirby concepts from what we can see, so Vakanai is probably going to get his wish and Darkseid will show up at some point. I just hope other Superman Rogues, particularly ones specific to Superman that he doesn’t share with the wider DCU, are represented as well. Quaid reading All-Star makes me hope Solaris could show up, along with Bizarro and Bizarroworld. But I certainly don’t mind using a lot of the Kirby lore for Superman given so much of it originated in Jimmy Olsen and how involved Superman was with early Kirby Fourth World stories.

I want Silver Banshee to show up.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If we are most likely getting Kirby concepts, I'd like to see Mokari and Simyan show up. They were the first ones in Jimmy Olsen, and they were left out of the DCAU.

Darkseid showed up a whole lot in the 90s too. Not always in a major capacity but he was always in Superman's orbit. Sometimes not even in the main antagonistic role. Like Hunter/Prey, and Dead Again when he actually helps Superman out (for his own gains).
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I hope we see Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope we see Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer .
    We better see Sawyer, I feel pretty confident we will given the people involved. Unless they make Jimmy gay too and think that’s good enough for rep, I believe Jimmy was black and gay in American Alien if I recall correctly, but that shouldn’t stop Sawyer from also appearing given she’s a great character who also brings rep. I need to see Sawyer interacting with Superman in some fashion outside the minor cameos we’ve gotten so far.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

We better see Sawyer, I feel pretty confident we will given the people involved. Unless they make Jimmy gay too and think that’s good enough for rep, I believe Jimmy was black and gay in American Alien if I recall correctly, but that shouldn’t stop Sawyer from also appearing given she’s a great character who also brings rep. I need to see Sawyer interacting with Superman in some fashion outside the minor cameos we’ve gotten so far.
    Preach.

Maggie is a great character with tons to offer and she (and Turpin!) are some of Metropolis' best citizens; she deserves a recurring role as a secondary supporting cast member (Turpin too).

And if anyone on that show thinks "If we make Jimmy gay, that's good enough for rep" then they're doing representation wrong. But I don't think we have to worry about that kind of tokenism with these folks, right?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Considering some of the people involved in this, I wouldn't be surprised if they made Jimmy gay but I definitely don't think they'd view that as "enough" and would likely still feature Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Considering some of the people involved in this, I wouldn't be surprised if they made Jimmy gay but I definitely don't think they'd view that as "enough" and would likely still feature Maggie.
    That’s my hope, I need Sawyer to show up here. She and the Special Crimes Unit are cool!

I think Jimmy being gay in American Alien was so off-hand you'd be forgiven for forgetting it ever came up.

I don't really think they'll go that far with him. Like, race aside his design seems pretty conventionally Jimmy and I don't think they'll change characters that much aside from maybe ethnicities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Jimmy being gay in American Alien was so off-hand you'd be forgiven for forgetting it ever came up.

I don't really think they'll go that far with him. Like, race aside his design seems pretty conventionally Jimmy and I don't think they'll change characters that much aside from maybe ethnicities.
    Some of the people who are working on this worked on She-Ra, and they made a lot of characters queer in addition to some race changes.

Granted, the She-Ra cast are all blank slates pre-reboot compared to even Jimmy, but Jimmy doesn't have many noteworthy female love interests that making him gay or bi would impact him much. He has Lucy Lane, but she was rather unpleasant to him from what I've gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Some of the people who are working on this worked on She-Ra, and they made a lot of characters queer in addition to some race changes.

Granted, the She-Ra cast are all blank slates pre-reboot compared to even Jimmy, but Jimmy doesn't have many noteworthy female love interests that making him gay or bi would impact him much. He has Lucy Lane, but she was rather unpleasant to him from what I've gathered.
    I feel like DC/WB are going to be a little stricter than I assume anyone was with the She-Ra crew on Netflix.

Although I could be wrong. I mean, they let Mr. Terrific be a jobber and gay on Arrow when his whole deal is being hyper-competent and his dead wife, so who knows.

I mean, the last major Jimmy depiction (that was also black) had him date the sister (or equivalent) of every person in his social circle .

Honestly I'd be perfectly fine with Jimmy being gay. I'd rather that than the race bending honestly; I see Jim being gay as expanding on established elements of his character (without stepping on established history *too* much) while making him black just feels like using black face. My only complaint would be that making Jim gay is still too.....basic? I feel like Jim should be the kind of guy who's orientation defies classification.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly I'd be perfectly fine with Jimmy being gay. I'd rather that than the race bending honestly; I see Jim being gay as expanding on established elements of his character (without stepping on established history *too* much) while making him black just feels like using black face. My only complaint would be that making Jim gay is still too.....basic? I feel like Jim should be the kind of guy who's orientation defies classification.
    That he wears bowties and cross-dresses or that he's just kind of all over the place and open to anything?

I think you could make the leap to pansexual with Jimmy and it wouldn't change too much.

Too a lesser extent and riskier, I think Hal Jordan fit could fit too.