Page 44 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think there is probably some overlap in the generalized themes with American Alien in the sense it's a hyper-modernized take. But I doubt given Landis' you'll see any of them acknowledge or intentionally pull from it. Zoomers and Millennial's have much less tolerance for appreciating the art not the artist than older generations. But there do seem to be a lot of parallels there at least on the surface. I could definitely see them pulling some characterization of SStK. Or even the Man of Tomorrow animated movie.

Given the focus on Lois and the relationship between Clark/Superman/Lois it'll be hard to take much direct inspiration from the New 52 or even Morrison. They can do a lot of things really well, particularly with Superman, but a good take on Lois or romance does not appear to be one of them. I'll give them credit for Superman & The Authority though, that was probably the best they've written Lois that I can recall. But they could pull from the New 52 Action for some of Superman's characterization and then just have build off that with a take that has an interest in Lois as well.
    It's kind of funny how this and Man of Tomorrow take influences from American Alien without at all calling attention to American Alien for obvious reasons. I guess good for short-haired Lois fans .

I guess for Morrison they told their grand Lois and Clark romance in All Star and didn't feel the need to do much more with it with the New 52 Action, which lent itself to DC's new direction of pushing a different kind of Superman with different relationships and marginalizing Lois. But we're thankfully not getting that here.

I think Intergang is supposed to show up so that's a very Post-Crisis thing, while we've got a modern version of the Newsboy/Newsgirl Legion which is more of a Silver Age thing. So I think they're drawing from various stuff.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think much like Spectacular Spider-Man and BTAS , this series could hypothetically take inspiration from a lot of different sources and mix and match them. The lack of an in depth look at Lois and her relationship to Superman is really the only major flaw in Morrison's Superman work. This team could pull inspiration from other ideas Morrison introduced and mix and match them with other runs. So we could get Superman interacting with Leo Quintum and fighting Vyndktvx while Lois is closer to her late Bronze Age or modern self. Pulling inspiration from DCAU Lois wouldn't be unappreciated either, for all of its other sins the DCAU did great with Lois.

If the team is on the younger side, I do hope they are pulling inspiration from the likes of Morrison and Yang and avoiding Byrne like the plague. Rebirth will probably be on the table unfortunately.

I do have more confidence in this team than I do Timm on TCC though. Timm works better with constraints, and while Brubaker is a great writer in general I don't care for how he writes Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think much like Spectacular Spider-Man and BTAS , this series could hypothetically take inspiration from a lot of different sources and mix and match them. The lack of an in depth look at Lois and her relationship to Superman is really the only major flaw in Morrison's Superman work. This team could pull inspiration from other ideas Morrison introduced and mix and match them with other runs. So we could get Superman interacting with Leo Quintum and fighting Vyndktvx while Lois is closer to her late Bronze Age or modern self. Pulling inspiration from DCAU Lois wouldn't be unappreciated either, for all of its other sins the DCAU did great with Lois.

If the team is on the younger side, I do hope they are pulling inspiration from the likes of Morrison and Yang and avoiding Byrne like the plague. Rebirth will probably be on the table unfortunately.

I do have more confidence in this team than I do Timm on TCC though. Timm works better with constraints, and while Brubaker is a great writer in general I don't care for how he writes Bruce.
    I dunno about Byrne in particular but there's probably a lot of Post-Crisis stuff they can pull to make the Planet feel more lively.

Seems like they're going for a dorkier, comedic, Clark so that's one distinction from the New 52.

I feel like this Lois...could maybe be like her Silver Age self? In an energetic/comedic sort of way and without the sexist writing? I think they're going for a very "Genki" Lois.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno about Byrne in particular but there's probably a lot of Post-Crisis stuff they can pull to make the Planet feel more lively.

Seems like they're going for a dorkier, comedic, Clark so that's one distinction from the New 52.

I feel like this Lois...could maybe be like her Silver Age self? In an energetic/comedic sort of way and without the sexist writing? I think they're going for a very "Genki" Lois.
    I think there's some broadly interesting things they could pull from Silver Age Lois. Namely the energetic/comedic aspects like you mention, and the batshit lengths she will go to accomplish her goal. One story had her build a giant magnetic device in the Daily Planet office to disrupt the Superman Robots if Superman tried his robotic duplicate bullshit on her that day.

Just apply that level of thinking to her trying to nab stories or as a force for good instead of trying to obsessively get Superman to marry her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think there is probably some overlap in the generalized themes with American Alien in the sense it's a hyper-modernized take. But I doubt given Landis' you'll see any of them acknowledge or intentionally pull from it. Zoomers and Millennial's have much less tolerance for appreciating the art not the artist than older generations. But there do seem to be a lot of parallels there at least on the surface. I could definitely see them pulling some characterization of SStK. Or even the Man of Tomorrow animated movie.

Given the focus on Lois and the relationship between Clark/Superman/Lois it'll be hard to take much direct inspiration from the New 52 or even Morrison. They can do a lot of things really well, particularly with Superman, but a good take on Lois or romance does not appear to be one of them. I'll give them credit for Superman & The Authority though, that was probably the best they've written Lois that I can recall. But they could pull from the New 52 Action for some of Superman's characterization and then just have build off that with a take that has an interest in Lois as well.
    Oh they definitely won’t give him any credit, especially given who is involved, but taking into account how what we’ve seen lines up pretty perfectly with Landis’ takes on the trio (Clark is nerdy and finding himself, Lois is Asian, Jimmy is black) I think it will definitely be an influence. Sucks Landis was a prick because American Alien definitely was a good blueprint for how to “modernize” Superman in terms of making him “one of us”. I also liked his take on Lex so I wouldn’t mind them drawing on that either. But it’s also being billed as an action-comedy with strong romance elements, so they’re clearly going their own way, and I hope they’ll draw ideas from across different eras.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I am really curious to see how they handle Lex.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think there's some broadly interesting things they could pull from Silver Age Lois. Namely the energetic/comedic aspects like you mention, and the batshit lengths she will go to accomplish her goal. One story had her build a giant magnetic device in the Daily Planet office to disrupt the Superman Robots if Superman tried his robotic duplicate bullshit on her that day.

Just apply that level of thinking to her trying to nab stories or as a force for good instead of trying to obsessively get Superman to marry her.
    I'm expecting this kind of energy:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Gotta warn you though.. That's silverage than postcrisis..So,a lot closer to Morrison's stuff than byrne..If you are expecting donner then that would be available.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh they definitely won’t give him any credit, especially given who is involved, but taking into account how what we’ve seen lines up pretty perfectly with Landis’ takes on the trio (Clark is nerdy and finding himself, Lois is Asian, Jimmy is black) I think it will definitely be an influence. Sucks Landis was a prick because American Alien definitely was a good blueprint for how to “modernize” Superman in terms of making him “one of us”. I also liked his take on Lex so I wouldn’t mind them drawing on that either. But it’s also being billed as an action-comedy with strong romance elements, so they’re clearly going their own way, and I hope they’ll draw ideas from across different eras.
    Would be hilarious if Landis ends up being most influential Superman writer from the last decade and gets zero credit for it.

LOL I love this! Why can't she get her own title when there's so many others titles being released...

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Gotta warn you though.. That's silverage than postcrisis..So,a lot closer to Morrison's stuff than byrne..If you are expecting donner then that would be available.
    It all depends on the execution and what the creator is going for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Lane View Post
    LOL I love this! Why can't she get her own title when there's so many others titles being released...
    She did a few years ago from Greg Rucka. It was...okay.

Yeah the promo images give off a lot of that type of energy for this Lois. Be great to see them have fun with her like they did here. She’s the crazy determined reporter and competent! I’m sure they’ll be more realistic generally but taking that energy into it would be awesome.

She did a few years ago from Greg Rucka. It was...okay.
    Ah yes. Did a quick search for it, but what does "okay" mean? lol

I hope they bring that energy from Lois to the show.

It was good but got completely derailed in the middle of it for the Leviathan and Checkmate stuff. It should have stayed as it's own standalone mini.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Well, from a writing standpoint it was fine, especially with Rucka's standard of writing, but it seemed like it became less and less about Lois as it went along and became more about stuff Rucka cared about more...and had a weird ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It was good but got completely derailed in the middle of it for the Leviathan and Checkmate stuff. It should have stayed as it's own standalone mini.
    And I hope you like Renee Montoya, because you'll sure get a lot of her.

Echoing what the others have said, it was a victim of Bendis reworking his Superman plans, 5G going away, and Rucka just kind of going off on a tangent. The secret identity reveal wasn't in the cards when Rucka started and from the sound of it Rucka wasn't really on board with that. Bendis had set up this conflict with the world thinking Lois was cheating on Clark with Superman and that Jon was actually Superman's son being revealed to the world that Bendis scrapped. Quite literally it was like he decided to ignore it or retcon it having been revealed mid storyline. There seemed to be some really big multiversal plans that were scrapped too that Rucka was building up. And yeah, it becomes more about Renee Montoya than Lois sorta towards the end.

Rucka also kinda reinforced Bendis' use of Lois just hanging out in a room not doing that much, which was really odd. Ironically, PKJ had a much more active and involved Lois than Bendis did and he apparently didn't have any plans to use her in the run.

That said, the first six issues are solid. And I think the 6th issue is one of the best character pieces on Lois out there. It's a solid book, just not what I wanted out of a Lois Lane series, nor expected from Rucka. If you're not familiar with it, Rucka's run on Adventures of Superman from the lead up to Infinite Crisis has a great Lois subplot that runs through a good portion of it.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-31-2022 at 10:52 AM.