Page 8 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

This is second time Jimmy Olsen is showing up black in Superman fiction at what point does it stop being "race bending"? If they keep doing this at some point some kid is going to be confused as hell when they see Jimmy White in the comics. The point is not everything that happens is from your perspective, Jimmy not being black to you doesn't mean he isn't black to other people. It is not quite the same thing but I remember the Green Lantern movie coming out and some people were confused that the Green Lantern was white. The only Green Lantern they knew was John Stewart

Someone in these things will always be unhappy and remember the key words "Importance to fiction" . If they gave Superman a black friend and to make them "important to the fiction" so they are not pandering they are given meaningful screen time. What do you think is going to happen? Someone is going to complain that Jimmy Olsen is being eliminated from the fiction to pander to get the black audience. If the new character doesn't get meaningful time people are going to complain you created PoC just pander and just have them as wall paper. Racebending happens for a reason it is an attempt to add diversity AND have that character play important part to fiction. I am not saying it is right or wrong I just find it funny a fanbase that deems history and continuity so important does not get that their adherence to past things is what makes changes like this happen. If the new Superman movie had superman go up against a new rich Asian genius billionaire supervillain what would be the question asked? Why didn't they use Lex? If Superman gets a brand new boss it will be what was wrong Perry White. How do you keep the past while making changes for the present?
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-19-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is second time Jimmy Olsen is showing up black in Superman fiction at what point does it stop being "race bending"? If they keep doing this at some point some kid is going to be confused as hell when they see Jimmy White in the comics. The point is not everything that happens is from your perspective, Jimmy not being black to you doesn't mean he isn't black to other people. It is not quite the same thing but I remember the Green Lantern movie coming out and some people were confused that the Green Lantern was white. The only Green Lantern they knew was John Stewart

Someone in these things will always be unhappy and remember the key words "Importance to fiction" . If they gave Superman a black friend and to make them "important to the fiction" so they are not pandering they are given meaningful screen time. What do you think is going to happen? Someone is going to complain that Jimmy Olsen is being eliminated from the fiction to pander to get the black audience. If the new character doesn't get meaningful time people are going to complain you created PoC just pander and just have them as wall paper. Racebending happens for a reason it is an attempt to add diversity AND have that character play important part to fiction. I am not saying it is right or wrong I just find it funny a fanbase that deems history and continuity so important does not get that their adherence to past things is what makes changes like this happen. If the new Superman movie had superman go up against a new rich Asian genius billionaire supervillain what would be the question asked? Why didn't they use Lex? If Superman gets a brand new boss it will be what was wrong Perry White. How do you keep the past while making changes for the present?
    This is my perspective as well. While Superman does have a diverse cast (Steel REALLY should be used, I mean the guy is right there!!!!!), they just don't have as much importance as his currently very white and relevant supporting cast. People would much rather have Jimmy vs Ron, Perry/Lex vs some unknown new character. He has deep relationships with these people and it's what made Superman such a beloved character. The relationships, at least for me, take precedent over race so I can accept it to some extent, not all cases. Race bending is just as much a bane as it is a boon for the comic medium. We live in a very different age where diversity is important but at the same time it doesn't have the kind of momentum and overall support to be done over years/decades afforded the white supporting cast had when they were first created. New diverse characters have not always been welcomed with open arms so here we all are, some are overtly rejected from the jump. Race bending is a short cut, for better or for worse, things will be condensed for the simple purpose of being inclusive in this new generation. In the end, I choose to see the positives rather than the negatives of taking this route.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 05-20-2021 at 01:29 AM.

I don’t mind the racebending, but it terms of positive rep I think most Black watchers would enjoy Steel more simply because he’s a hero. Jimmy is Superman/Clark’s Pal, but unless they’re leaning into the Silver Age, he’s not a hero himself. Seeing Steel out there knocking out bad guys with his hammer would simply be more exciting and entertaining for younger black audiences than seeing Jimmy (again this is unless they go full Silver Age or Matt Fraction with him). But hey Steel can still show up and I’m rooting for him to do so.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t mind the racebending, but it terms of positive rep I think most Black watchers would enjoy Steel more simply because he’s a hero. Jimmy is Superman/Clark’s Pal, but unless they’re leaning into the Silver Age, he’s not a hero himself. Seeing Steel out there knocking out bad guys with his hammer would simply be more exciting and entertaining for younger black audiences than seeing Jimmy (again this is unless they go full Silver Age or Matt Fraction with him). But hey Steel can still show up and I’m rooting for him to do so.
    The show already has 2 seasons ordered, it'd be weird if they didn't think to have steel show up. Hopefully Lana came show up also.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Because it's not the 1950s anymore, the US is more diverse now than in the past, and kids of different races like to see themselves presented in characters in the media they consume.
    Then they should create new diverse characters not change the old ones.

Astonishing Member

First off, I'm just thrilled to see new Superman and Batman cartoons after ages! Especially Superman, who hasn't had a new solo cartoon since I was just out of diapers (Okay, I'm exaggerating...a little )

I'm a bit skeptical about the anime-ish designs but its too early to tell until we see more. The premise is certainly interesting...though I hope the Superman side of things gets as much focus as the Daily Planet trio or the Lois-Clark relationship.

Loving the design for Lois, even though I prefer her with long hair. But this look kinda fits her character at this point of time.

Jimmy Olsen is...jarring. It feels like they took his TAS design and colored his skin darker.

I'd have prefered something along the lines of the Golden Age Superman for animation, but given that its been over 20 years since a solo Superman cartoon has seen the light of day I'll take anything that doesn't look like a complete disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Caped Crusader looks like something we've seen before. It looks, frankly, like BTAS. It looks like an attempt to capture 30 year old lightning in a new milk-bottle. Their focus on being a jumping on point for new Batman fans makes me cautiously optimistic about it, but conversely, I'm thrilled about this new, unique looking Superman show.
    That said, I don't think they've really tried to recapture the lightning of BTAS. Every subsequent Batman cartoon has been visually and tonally very different from that show - The Batman was more action-oriented and anime-esq, Brave and the Bold was sheer, unadulterated Silver Age fun, and Beware the Batman was trying its best to do something different.

We haven't really had a serious noir-ish Batman cartoon since BTAS and I think its way past time we get it.

Was i sleeping or what!?

This is fantastic news. Finally, some animated Superman. I don't care for style. Just give me some Supaman! And this seems to be just like my classic Superman. Just what the doctor ordered.

Astonishing Member

Excellent post. It’s great posts like these that make me wish this forum had a like button.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 05-20-2021 at 06:01 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

What a weird week. This comes out and the awful Injustice love and that Berserk is never going to get finished now

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What a weird week. This comes out and the awful Injustice love and that Berserk is never going to get finished now
    RIP Kentaro Miura.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing about this, and NOOOOOOOOO!!!

RIP Miura. That sucks beyond belief.

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...hbo-max-series
    To research it, I read All-Star Superman, which is such a good graphic novel. It's incredible. I've always been a fan of Superman, but I've become like a rabid Superman fan ever since really diving into research. I'm really excited to be a part of it and really excited for audiences to see it. I think we have a really cool take on a really classic character. It's awesome.
    An encouraging sign if I’ve ever seen one!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The show already has 2 seasons ordered, it'd be weird if they didn't think to have steel show up. Hopefully Lana came show up also.
    I’d love to see both of those as well! It already being guaranteed two seasons is a very good sign, shows WB has some faith in this show (and also that CN can’t dick this and Batman over by dumping it in a timeslot where nobody will see it hopefully).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing about this, and NOOOOOOOOO!!!

RIP Miura. That sucks beyond belief.
    Apparently he died 2 weeks ago.

Ultimate Member

Someone in these things will always be unhappy and remember the key words "Importance to fiction" . If they gave Superman a black friend and to make them "important to the fiction" so they are not pandering they are given meaningful screen time. What do you think is going to happen? Someone is going to complain that Jimmy Olsen is being eliminated from the fiction to pander to get the black audience. If the new character doesn't get meaningful time people are going to complain you created PoC just pander and just have them as wall paper. Racebending happens for a reason it is an attempt to add diversity AND have that character play important part to fiction. I am not saying it is right or wrong I just find it funny a fanbase that deems history and continuity so important does not get that their adherence to past things is what makes changes like this happen. If the new Superman movie had superman go up against a new rich Asian genius billionaire supervillain what would be the question asked? Why didn't they use Lex? If Superman gets a brand new boss it will be what was wrong Perry White.
    And you know what LET THEM-because where is the evidence that Jimmy was made black to get black folks to watch? If you have black folks watching they are watching for Superman like they have for the past 70+ years.

You can do BOTH. Leave Jimmy White and bring in say established black person-Ron or even Ben from Supergirl's comic.

How do you keep the past while making changes for the present?
    Like they have always done before fake woke era started.

A rich Asian billionaire in ONE Superman does not toss away Lex. These are tv shows that have always shown more than one villain.

Batman does not face Joker in every movie.

Smallville had Clark face a variety of folks.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

How many times has Jimmy Olsen been racebent as a black man?
    CW Supergirl
    American Alien
    Superman Red Son animated movie
    This new animated series

Be prepared for black Jimmy to become a mainstay, like black Wally West.

Speaking of Wally. Why does Hollywood equate racebending white, redhead characters with black replacements?

Wally West comics and CW.
    Iris West CW and DCEU.
    Jimmy Olsen comics, CW, DCAU and animated series.
    Kendra Saunders CW.
    MJ in the MCU.
    April O’Neil in Rise of the TMNT.
    The Little Mermaid Ariel for the live action remake.
    Annie The Musical with Jamie Foxx.
    Bow from She-Ra remake.
    Cyclone for the Black Adam movie.
    Red Sonja upcoming Conan movie.