Spectacular Member

Default Thoughts on Supergirl run in the 2000's and the one before that

Hey all,

so I'm lurking around Amazon.com for my next purchase in trade for the Kindle. Saw the Supergirl volume 4 set of 4 trades at a cheap price, just wanted people's opinion on it, worth re-reading and purchasing?

Same question regarding the Supergirl volume 5 - the pre-new 52 version? Worth getting. Both are relatively same price around 22 dollars, but get more in terms of content from the pre-52 purchase.

Any thoughts?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Does it have the titles for the trades? It might help us a bit more.

Supergirl vol 4 (1996—2003) was the Peter David run, which is pretty highly praised. That said it's a very non-traditional Supergirl and not necessarily what you'd expect from a Supergirl book (including who and what she is).

Supergirl vol 5 (2005—2011) was a real mixed bag with constantly changing writers/artists and creative directions. it settles down with Sterling Gates, but that largely ties into other things.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

PAD is amazing.

the vol5 run has some really nice art, and interesting stories. It's the one with the super-Banshee story!

Spectacular Member

Yeah - Supergirl (2005-2011) Vol. 1: The Girl of Steel

Supergirl: Book One (Supergirl (1996-2003))

Were the 2 first book titles. I've read both... or I may go for something else... been that kind of few weeks where I need something to cheer me up

The Peter David run is easily the best run Supergirl has ever had.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Does it have the titles for the trades? It might help us a bit more.

Supergirl vol 4 (1996—2003) was the Peter David run, which is pretty highly praised. That said it's a very non-traditional Supergirl and not necessarily what you'd expect from a Supergirl book (including who and what she is).

Supergirl vol 5 (2005—2011) was a real mixed bag with constantly changing writers/artists and creative directions. it settles down with Sterling Gates, but that largely ties into other things.
    This has been the problem since her 2004 return. New Krypton could've given something interesting, in my opinion. Now it's a crowded space these days.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    PAD is amazing.
    Indeed. Still loved it when Mary Marvel (temporarily) became a part of the supporting cast...

I just remember hating it because of how much they were sexualizing a teenage girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    The Peter David run is easily the best run Supergirl has ever had.
    This.

You can't go wrong with PAD Supergirl, Aquaman, and Young Justice. They are the best entries of each franchise

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    I just remember hating it because of how much they were sexualizing a teenage girl.
    In PAD'S run?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    In PAD'S run?
    I think they meant the 2005 book that started with Leob, including Michael Turner's art from Superman/Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I think they meant the 2005 book that started with Leob, including Michael Turner's art from Superman/Batman.
    Eeee÷wwwwww yeah. I was shocked to learn a lady was behind that look and marketing.

At the time overt sexualization of female characters was still industry standard. But doing that to Supergirl was still a bit shocking.

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the input guys, the bad thing from this its only up to issue 43