Page 43 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

He certainly looks like his Dad, Dennis Quaid.

I've been quiet on this show, but I'm looking forward to it. I feel this could be the classic Clark Kent Superman and his support cast and status quo best chance to connect to a younger audience. With the rest of Warners and DC seeming bent on replacing him with Jon and or a version of Supergirl, this prospects for this show and Superman and Lois are my oasis at the moment. It sucks we have to wait until 2023. Hopefully it'll be worth it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    He certainly looks like his Dad, Dennis Quaid.

I've been quiet on this show, but I'm looking forward to it. I feel this could be the classic Clark Kent Superman and his support cast and status quo best chance to connect to a younger audience. With the rest of Warners and DC seeming bent on replacing him with Jon and or a version of Supergirl, this prospects for this show and Superman and Lois are my oasis at the moment. It sucks we have to wait until 2023. Hopefully it'll be worth it.
    Makes for a nice 85th birthday present for Clark at least
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s the biggest sin but not the only one. The VA sucked as well. Conroy was phoning it in and Hamill’s age was really starting to show in his voice. Plus without the psychedelic coloring of the original KJ art the story is just ok and they didn’t have the budget to replicate it. But the movie was the first huge miss Timm had when it came to Batman that I saw. That’s when I started to think it was time for a new Gen to take over handling Batman.

Glad Superman at least is in new hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's the worst thing about the movie but I also wouldn't say the later half that actually adapts TKJ is much better (like I've seen some say). Similar to what Vordan said, the VA stuff isn't great and this is the film where I started developing my opinion that it's time for DC characters to move on from their DCAU voice actors. At least for Conroy and Hamil since they're the ones who come back the most.
    Disagree, it wasn't the biggest sin or the worst thing about the movie. But I'm indifferent to the relationship, I don't care that they did it. It's a big deal to some fans, but meh. It was the quality, or lack thereof, of the animation and voice acting that sank that movie. Those two things are far more unforgivable flaws than some silly pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disagree, it wasn't the biggest sin or the worst thing about the movie. But I'm indifferent to the relationship, I don't care that they did it. It's a big deal to some fans, but meh. It was the quality, or lack thereof, of the animation and voice acting that sank that movie. Those two things are far more unforgivable flaws than some silly pairing.
    I'm not a fan of the pairing at all but objectively I can't see what it really added to the story or characters beyond making them look bad. I think it's fair to list it as one of the biggest cons of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not a fan of the pairing at all but objectively I can't see what it really added to the story or characters beyond making them look bad. I think it's fair to list it as one of the biggest cons of the movie.
    I think "making them look bad" only counts if you are predisposed to dislike the pairing. Otherwise the only flaw is it doesn't add anything, and there's worse flaws than being pointless. The subpar animation and voice acting from those who can do much, much, much better, I can't think of a worse flaw.

I think "making them look bad" only counts if you are predisposed to dislike the pairing. Otherwise the only flaw is it doesn't add anything, and there's worse flaws than being pointless. The subpar animation and voice acting from those who can do much, much, much better, I can't think of a worse flaw.
    I dunno, even in the context of the narrative it doesn't really put a positive light on it or their characters, which just makes them come off badly. Being pointless when you're adding something to an adaption of a seminal work feels like a pretty serious issue.

The characters all deserved better.

I dunno, even in the context of the narrative it doesn't really put a positive light on it or their characters, which just makes them come off badly. Being pointless when you're adding something to an adaption of a seminal work feels like a pretty serious issue.

The characters all deserved better.
    Eh, I don't think that they're adding something to a seminal work though. It's basically a separate mini film that is played before TKJ, like an old double showing. It's not really a part of TKJ. So I don't pay it any mind on that front. And I don't think that they came off as bad, more just human. It was a mistake, meh. Not really a big deal except for the fact that everyone is bringing in all this comic book and cartoon knowledge into it where Babs was Dick's girl and Dick is Bruce's adopted son, which might not be true here. So, meh.

Eh, I don't think that they're adding something to a seminal work though. It's basically a separate mini film that is played before TKJ, like an old double showing. It's not really a part of TKJ. So I don't pay it any mind on that front. And I don't think that they came off as bad, more just human. It was a mistake, meh. Not really a big deal except for the fact that everyone is bringing in all this comic book and cartoon knowledge into it where Babs was Dick's girl and Dick is Bruce's adopted son, which might not be true here. So, meh.
    I think in practice it was supposed to provide more context and emotional depth for when the actual KJ story happens...and failed spectacularly, and for seeming completely unnecessary on top of that.

There's human and then there's just being straight up unlikable people making bad decisions, which I feel they both (especially Barbara) came off here. And it just didn't fit the story at all.

Azzarello was just not a great fit for writing it.

I think in practice it was supposed to provide more context and emotional depth for when the actual KJ story happens...and failed spectacularly, and for seeming completely unnecessary on top of that.

There's human and then there's just being straight up unlikable people making bad decisions, which I feel they both (especially Barbara) came off here. And it just didn't fit the story at all.

Azzarello was just not a great fit for writing it.
    I agree that it failed spectacularly, but will have to agree to disagree with the rest. I just don't think it was a big deal, and that it's far from the worst part of what was a pretty terrible movie all together. Shame, The Killing Joke is a great story that deserved better.

[QUOTE=Vakanai;5902738]I agree that it failed spectacularly, but will have to agree to disagree with the rest. I just don't think it was a big deal, and that it's far from the worst part of what was a pretty terrible movie all together. Shame, The Killing Joke is a great story that deserved better.[/QUOTE]
    We can at least agree on that .

Forgot to update this, it’s been interesting to compare the way MAWS and TCC are being made. TCC is relying on old talent mainly, Timm and Brubaker are guys who worship at the altar of Frank Miller and Denny O’Neil. Meanwhile in my attempts at uh “investigating” the creative team working on MAWS (mainly by finding one person who work on the team and seeing if I can find others) the people working on MAWS seem overwhelmingly on the younger side. Makes me curious what/who they look to for inspiration and source material. A lot of them seem to be millennials (and even some zoomers) so do they consider Morrison to be their guiding light the way I do? Genuinely curious what my fellows consider to be “definitive Superman” because I doubt it would be Byrne the way it was for DCAU Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

American alien could be an influence..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Forgot to update this, it’s been interesting to compare the way MAWS and TCC are being made. TCC is relying on old talent mainly, Timm and Brubaker are guys who worship at the altar of Frank Miller and Denny O’Neil. Meanwhile in my attempts at uh “investigating” the creative team working on MAWS (mainly by finding one person who work on the team and seeing if I can find others) the people working on MAWS seem overwhelmingly on the younger side. Makes me curious what/who they look to for inspiration and source material. A lot of them seem to be millennials (and even some zoomers) so do they consider Morrison to be their guiding light the way I do? Genuinely curious what my fellows consider to be “definitive Superman” because I doubt it would be Byrne the way it was for DCAU Superman.
    Hoping not Morrison too much, not surprising people know how I feel about their, uh, let's call it "story telling." As for my "definitive Superman"? Currently that'd be Yang's.

I'm not getting much New 52 vibes (I mean, Lois is a main character ) so my immediate reaction would be Rebirth, although they're going for a younger Superman so I wouldn't expect Superdad.

Also get some Smashes the Clan vibes.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    American alien could be an influence..
    Young Superman, Lois' design/ethnicity, and Jimmy's ethnicity definitely seem to hearken towards American Alien.

I think there is probably some overlap in the generalized themes with American Alien in the sense it's a hyper-modernized take. But I doubt given Landis' you'll see any of them acknowledge or intentionally pull from it. Zoomers and Millennial's have much less tolerance for appreciating the art not the artist than older generations. But there do seem to be a lot of parallels there at least on the surface. I could definitely see them pulling some characterization of SStK. Or even the Man of Tomorrow animated movie.

Given the focus on Lois and the relationship between Clark/Superman/Lois it'll be hard to take much direct inspiration from the New 52 or even Morrison. They can do a lot of things really well, particularly with Superman, but a good take on Lois or romance does not appear to be one of them. I'll give them credit for Superman & The Authority though, that was probably the best they've written Lois that I can recall. But they could pull from the New 52 Action for some of Superman's characterization and then just have build off that with a take that has an interest in Lois as well.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-30-2022 at 10:06 AM.