Page 39 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    People were serious about thinking Lois looks like a dude because she has short hair?
    Don't forget, she's also not big bossomed or shaped like an hourglass....

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s the biggest sin but not the only one. The VA sucked as well. Conroy was phoning it in and Hamill’s age was really starting to show in his voice. Plus without the psychedelic coloring of the original KJ art the story is just ok and they didn’t have the budget to replicate it. But the movie was the first huge miss Timm had when it came to Batman that I saw. That’s when I started to think it was time for a new Gen to take over handling Batman.

Glad Superman at least is in new hands.
    Was that movie before or after the Batman and Harley Quinn movie? That was pretty awful too, aside from getting Loren Lester back as Dick Grayson.

Go back to TNBA onward without nostalgia goggles, though, and you'll see some of his bad decisions get through now that you're more acclimated to the source material. There's a lot I didn't realize when I was younger. When I was just a kid, I thought all the Barbara being weird about Bruce things were mostly just that he's an ******* who messed up all his sidekicks. It wasn't until I bothered to watch Mystery of the Batwoman that it all clicked retroactively, and that happened waaaaay later for me.

Dude's been wanting Bruce to bed Barbara for over a decade.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Was that movie before or after the Batman and Harley Quinn movie? That was pretty awful too, aside from getting Loren Lester back as Dick Grayson.

Go back to TNBA onward without nostalgia goggles, though, and you'll see some of his bad decisions get through now that you're more acclimated to the source material. There's a lot I didn't realize when I was younger. When I was just a kid, I thought all the Barbara being weird about Bruce things were mostly just that he's an ******* who messed up all his sidekicks. It wasn't until I bothered to watch Mystery of the Batwoman that it all clicked retroactively, and that happened waaaaay later for me.

Dude's been wanting Bruce to bed Barbara for over a decade.
    Killing Joke was 2016 and Batman & HQ was 2017 iirc. Yeah you can definitely see the seeds of Timms bad habits in his earlier work, and I’ve long since soured on his take for Supes and Wondy in the DCAU. He’s not the authority on DC for me he is for others as you said.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the original seasons of BTAS were the best (despite some early growing pains) precisely because Timm didn't have full control and it was balanced with other creators with different sensibilities.

TNBA and especially Beyond are still great cartoons, but IMO some of the heart and soul started to gradually seep out them as Timm seemed to shift things to how he wanted them. DCAU Bats was always better than his comic counterpart at the time (really low bar), but I'd say Timm really can't be trusted with any of the Trinity. He flat out just does not get Clark and Diana, and loves Bruce's darker side too much to the character's detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I still maintain the Bruce x Babs thing wasn't the problem with that movie.
    It's the worst thing about the movie but I also wouldn't say the later half that actually adapts TKJ is much better (like I've seen some say). Similar to what Vordan said, the VA stuff isn't great and this is the film where I started developing my opinion that it's time for DC characters to move on from their DCAU voice actors. At least for Conroy and Hamil since they're the ones who come back the most.

I know Clark and Lois will be focal to the show because, well, they're Clark and Lois and it's half-romcom, but I'm glad they're still promoting Jimmy as important .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know Clark and Lois will be focal to the show because, well, they're Clark and Lois and it's half-romcom, but I'm glad they're still promoting Jimmy as important .
    Going to be the first time Jimmy and Clark are a team in… God has it really been since the DCAU? That was the last time they were paired up and did stuff together? I think so. Wonder what his personality is going to be? Hope he’s still a huge geek to play off of Clark’s dorkiness.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm happy someone is remembering Jimmy is important. he really should be in the top 5 most important supporting characters for the IP. For series regulars, only Lois, Lex and maybe Supergirl should be above him and Perry is more or less on the same tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Going to be the first time Jimmy and Clark are a team in… God has it really been since the DCAU? That was the last time they were paired up and did stuff together? I think so. Wonder what his personality is going to be? Hope he’s still a huge geek to play off of Clark’s dorkiness.
    His character design makes him look pretty geeky. Kind of giving me Sokka from Avatar vibes.

Now that you mention it I feel like we see Jimmy with Lois in stuff more than we see Jimmy and Clark together.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm happy someone is remembering Jimmy is important. he really should be in the top 5 most important supporting characters for the IP. For series regulars, only Lois, Lex and maybe Supergirl should be above him and Perry is more or less on the same tier.
    Sadly, he gets lost in the shuffle once you go more global on Clark. The minute he enters the larger DCU, Jimmy doesn't quite offer enough to really warrant page time and I really like the kid. He's just Clark's friend who he can talk to, but now that Clark's married and portrayed as a loving husband, he doesn't have a great reason from a narrative perspective to talk to Jimmy. Most the things he'd want to talk to him about are being talked to with his other best friend (Bruce) in one of the books they naturally share.

It's stuff like this where Jimmy gets a chance to shine and I'm glad we're getting him. I just hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle or made into a character's accessory as supporting cast tend to from time to time. Luckily, he's appearing as something of a third protagonist, just under Superman and Lois (who based on the title sound like the PoV character).
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

They weren't kidding about this being anime-esque.
    Those images give me "The Great Prentender" vibes lol.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

His character design makes him look pretty geeky. Kind of giving me Sokka from Avatar vibes.

Now that you mention it I feel like we see Jimmy with Lois in stuff more than we see Jimmy and Clark together.
    Yeah I can see the Sokka vibes too. That wouldn’t be a bad update of the character concept although I’d prefer they bring in Irons for shoring up in the brains department.

If you consider that Jimmy traditionally had relationships with both the Superman and Mild Mannered Reporter Clark Kent personas, he should be more important than Perry White, at least on average. There'll be stories and situations in which Perry is more important, of course, but overall Jimmy should have a more important role. Perry's role is mostly as Clark's boss while Jimmy is both Clark Kent's friend and Superman's Pal. I think Lois & Clark got it close to right in assigning the relative importance of Jimmy and Perry to Superman's daily life.

I think it'd be kind of hilarious if they adapt from the comics how many times Jimmy just randomly transforms .

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    If you consider that Jimmy traditionally had relationships with both the Superman and Mild Mannered Reporter Clark Kent personas, he should be more important than Perry White, at least on average. There'll be stories and situations in which Perry is more important, of course, but overall Jimmy should have a more important role. Perry's role is mostly as Clark's boss while Jimmy is both Clark Kent's friend and Superman's Pal. I think Lois & Clark got it close to right in assigning the relative importance of Jimmy and Perry to Superman's daily life.
    I’m of the opinion that Jimmy should’ve been Jon’s godfather. Perry is cool and all but Jimmy is actually Lois and Clark’s friend. Should’ve been him. Least this show won’t be sidelining him for once it looks like.