Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the most I see them drawing from Donner is maybe the dynamic between Lois/Clark/Superman and how Clark differentiates between the two identities, but everything else looks decidedly more modern Superman.

Maybe Lex with have Miss Tessmacher and Otis hanging around him.
    A mix of Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis is how I’m seeing it playing out. Lex will more likely have Mercy than either of those two lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

An action romcom hybrid huh? Works for me. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was a romcom (or had a lot of romcom elements) and it was incredibly good for tv of the time. I think romantic comedies get a terrible wrap here in the west because there's so much trashy no good romcoms from Hollywood. I watch a lot of romcom in the anime medium and it's some of my favorite of the medium/style/whatever-you-wanna-define-anime-as.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Eventually, the next generation of authors will take inspiration from more modern takes on Superman. Like Snyder's.
    I hope there comes a time when people take inspiration from deeper lore ,vast history of superman and other things outside of superman ip...Regardless,i would value a voice..never an imitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I can hear manwhohaseverything groan from whichever part of the globe he's posting from.
    I am not groaning at all.What is there to groan about?they already said this is a romance comedy.Chris reeve supeman is largely romance drama..So it fits.donner movies however did do some of the action sequences in the action comic as an addition...As i said,this ain't for me...Completely detached..On the flipside,if they had good comedy other than same old quippy humor since clark kent with glasses will be there..Then it would probably be good.Just not for me..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-13-2021 at 09:43 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    An action romcom hybrid huh? Works for me. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was a romcom (or had a lot of romcom elements) and it was incredibly good for tv of the time. I think romantic comedies get a terrible wrap here in the west because there's so much trashy no good romcoms from Hollywood. I watch a lot of romcom in the anime medium and it's some of my favorite of the medium/style/whatever-you-wanna-define-anime-as.
    Romcoms in Western Animation are definitely a lot more rare compared to Eastern animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Romcoms in Western Animation are definitely a lot more rare compared to Eastern animation.
    There is an entire catalogue of romance genre stuff in shoujo..Violet evergarden is pretty decent.. That's the last time i watched one..in the superman and anime thread i remember someone comparing it and superman(classic byne and donner)..So,there is that..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-13-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Any ETA on when this show is coming out aside from, I assume, sometime in 2022?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    No word yet, but that sounds reasonable. Who knows, maybe late this year. I think 2022 is the safe bet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Next year feels like a safe bet, I’m sure we’ll get proper trailers and release dates at DC Fandome.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Being inspired by the donnerverse is the wisest decision they could make

What other version has actually worked long term for general audiences?

Do you honestly think that a snyder inspired Superman animated show won’t be cancelled after one season?

Or a bendis inspired one wouldn’t be cancelled after one episode because of his shitty vision for Superman that involves him getting rid of his secret identity among other laughable ideas
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-14-2021 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    What other version has actually worked long term?
    siegel and shuster superman.plain and simple..

Incredible Member

Silver Age Superman, too. Even after that style went out of fashion, dude occupies the same space as Adam West Batman of being what the "dark takes" and "deconstructions" are supposed to be moving away from.

I'm hoping their points of reference is a lot wider than just Donnerverse. Great as that first movie was, I don't see it as a particularly useful building block.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Silver Age Superman, too. Even after that style went out of fashion, dude occupies the same space as Adam West Batman of being what the "dark takes" and "deconstructions" are supposed to be moving away from.

I'm hoping their points of reference is a lot wider than just Donnerverse. Great as that first movie was, I don't see it as a particularly useful building block.
    personally prefer bronze age more.But,the idea that donner and byrne are end all,be all of superman is just not true..

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    This sounds like a nightmare.

S&L draws from Snyder too, even if on a surface level.
    So did the short lived Krypton tv show. But yeah all Superman adaptations draw on each other while leaving their own mark. I mean, even going back to the amount of stuff that comes from the old radio show.

Yeah, I think even if the Reeves/Donner movies are an influence, they'll probably draw on a lot of different stuff, like Intergang.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Being inspired by the donnerverse is the wisest decision they could make

What other version has actually worked long term for general audiences?

Do you honestly think that a snyder inspired Superman animated show won’t be cancelled after one season?

Or a bendis inspired one wouldn’t be cancelled after one episode because of his shitty vision for Superman that involves him getting rid of his secret identity among other laughable ideas
    I'm hoping and trusting the show doesn't go full Donner (thankfully doesn't seem they will), because the IP has needed to break free of that interpretation for a while now. It's holding Superman back because creators don't know how to break away from it, and the few times they do we get stuff like the DCEU which fell on its face after a rocky start with some potential. Even that one is just a rehash of Donner in some ways.

I'm very sick of Donner and Snyder seemingly being our only two options (or three if we include Byrne, which brought some Donner stuff to the comics and in turn influences Snyder). Inspirations from Siegel and Shuster, Mort Weisinger, Otto Binder, Elliott Maggin and Morrison for the foundation before experimenting and trying out some new ideas would be far preferable than going back to the Donner well for the umpteenth time.