Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Not for me then.I want action.I like romance when it's a background noise...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A western animation romcom is kind of rare, even one with Superhero trappings .

If he's new to his powers (or at least using them like Superman) I'm guessing he doesn't have the Fortress yet. Does he even know he's from Krypton?

Oh hey, doubly appealing to girls is cool too .
    This is awesome. His love story with Lois Lane was part of what really drew me in back when I was a miserable teenager. Back then I mostly was a Batman fan, but the marriage was one thing that drew me to Clark because I liked that one superhero had it together and was making it work, or at least appeared that way. So many other heroes had it off again, on again and multiple love interests, but Superman was the one hero you could count on in so many ways to figure out who he wanted to be an what he wanted for his life and he made it happen. Every year after, I just appreciated him and his universe more and more, but I think that was the quality that really took my attention.

To this day, it's a cornerstone of the IP for me and I couldn't be more thrilled that they're leaning into it too reach another demographic.

I love a lot of qualities of the character, but providing a wide range of content is the best way of reminding people just how versatile a character he is.

Now we just need a rough and tumble Superman knocking corrupt heads together since PKJ has his eyes set on cosmic!
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-08-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This is awesome. His love story with Lois Lane was part of what really drew me in back when I was a miserable teenager. Back then I mostly was a Batman fan, but the marriage was one thing that drew me to Clark because I liked that one superhero had it together and was making it work, or at least appeared that way. So many other heroes had it off again, on again and multiple love interests, but Superman was the one hero you could count on in so many ways to figure out who he wanted to be an what he wanted for his life and he made it happen. Every year after, I just appreciated him and his universe more and more, but I think that was the quality that really took my attention.

To this day, it's a cornerstone of the IP for me and I couldn't be more thrilled that they're leaning into it too reach another demographic.

I love a lot of qualities of the character, but providing a wide range of content is the best way of reminding people just how versatile a character he is.

Now we just need a rough and tumble Superman knocking corrupt heads together since PKJ has his eyes set on cosmic!
    Part of what I enjoy about Superheroes is the romance, so that always helps sell it for me .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not for me then.I want action.I like romance when it's a background noise...
    Then, again, as it’s been pointed out to you over and over ....Superman may just not be for you period. Because romance in Superman is rarely if ever “background noise” especially in media properties where the demographic of people they are trying to reach is, understandable, a lot more diverse than “young guy who might buy a comic and thinks romance is yuck.”

The truth is the model you propose is not sustainable for Superman. The love story is and always has been an integral part of his story even if it’s been approached ::differently:; depending on the time period.

It’s commendable that WB is finally recognizing, clear as day, that girls are part of Superman’s demo. If that’s not for you, then again, Superman media as a whole is probably not for you because literally ALL of the successful Superman media from the Donner film to Lois and Clark to Smallville to Superman and Lois recognizes, correctly, that non stop action does not appeal to the general public.

Action and romance are fine, and the mix works better for TV. Maybe I'll cut manwhohaseverything some slack and agree that for a Superman cartoon, the romance element should come in second, e.g. the action and fighting injustice and stuff should still be the primary focus, but a Superman cartoon should balance them out somehow. Otherwise, the show might as well be a glorified commercial for toys. You have to explore characters and such over the course of 13+ episodes.

That said, cutting down the romance in animated movies is OK with me because the movies feel short enough as they are that it's hard to cram all the ideas into a movie. To its credit, I think the last Superman animated solo flick handled it well. And Hollywood generally can't balance action and romance well, so "background noise" for a future Superman (or any DC or Marvel hero) live-action movie would be fine for me. I suppose you could use STAS as an example: it was fun, and the chemistry was always palpable, but their relationship wasn't front and center. But if it's too minor of an element for a TV show, I think even manwhohaseverything might find the show duller than expected.

Has to be a balancing act. Lois & Clark was a romcom and that was a success, but once the two got hitched the viewers left because that was the only real attraction. A cartoon needs action and I’m sure there will be plenty of that here. Young Justice S1 did a good job of balancing the personal drama/relationships of the team members with superhero action. That sort of tone is what I’m hoping for.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Retired

With a title like MY ADVENTURES WITH SUPERMAN, this should really be an animated series about Jerry's adventures with Superman, with Jerry Seinfeld voicing Jerry and Patrick Warburton voicing Superman.

I mean, it sounds like they aren't aiming for the 20-50 year old guy demo with this series? So the opinions of the vast majority of posters here find interesting won't be relevant. They said it tested better with girls than any animated project they'd seen. Movies like Aquaman made a billion on the strength of the women and the romantic elements too - from actual data and not just assumption it's Jason Mamoa being shirtless.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I mean, it sounds like they aren't aiming for the 20-50 year old guy demo with this series? So the opinions of the vast majority of posters here find interesting won't be relevant. They said it tested better with girls than any animated project they'd seen. Movies like Aquaman made a billion on the strength of the women and the romantic elements too - from actual data and not just assumption it's Jason Mamoa being shirtless.
    Yeah they’re aiming for all ages here. That said my little sister who is right in the age demo this is aiming for is a massive fan of The Clone Wars. She loves the action and loves Ahsoka, so girls certainly aren’t turned away from more action heavy shows. Young Justice also had a strong female fanbase I understand.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah they’re aiming for all ages here. That said my little sister who is right in the age demo this is aiming for is a massive fan of The Clone Wars. She loves the action and loves Ahsoka, so girls certainly aren’t turned away from more action heavy shows. Young Justice also had a strong female fanbase I understand.
    Oh, I know. My daughter has been watching Bad Batch with me and when she was younger she was way into the Tinkerbell movies, which were pretty action orientated as well.

I think the important thing to realize is in the actual quote about the show he mentions action - Clark learning to use his powers:

It’s a romance in addition to being a superhero story. In our version, Clark is new to his powers, so it’s also a coming-of-age story for all of them.
    So I read that not say they are going to have little or no action, but that they are balancing the elements in a way that isn't just a standard superhero cartoon. Voltron had a good amount of that type of stuff too. Some people just hear that and they have a reaction that isn't far off from "Ew Cooties". And Superman is a franchise that in particular lends itself to that balance.
    Last edited by Yoda; 06-09-2021 at 10:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Has to be a balancing act. Lois & Clark was a romcom and that was a success, but once the two got hitched the viewers left because that was the only real attraction. A cartoon needs action and I’m sure there will be plenty of that here. Young Justice S1 did a good job of balancing the personal drama/relationships of the team members with superhero action. That sort of tone is what I’m hoping for.
    That is absolutely NOT why viewers left Lois and Clark. You are incorrect. I was very involved with that fandom and followed that show closely.

Fans left Lois and Clark distinctly because the network toyed with them and lied to them with that fake wedding and amnesia arc. Some fans were so furious that they just never came back. The show started to recover in season 4 because the show reset and focused on the marriage and better plots again but then 1) Michael Eisner wanted control of Sunday night and shunted the show from its time slot for Disney 2) Teri Hatcher became pregnant. The show likely would have had a 5th season on TNT but, at that point, Teri’s health was an issue and she just couldn’t do it so negotiations broke down.

Lois and Clark actually proved the opposite: respect the romance and stop toying with people. People wanted Lois and Clark married and the fake out just pissed people off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Also I think it’s fair to say that every version of Superman media I mentioned has done a good job of balancing the romance and action.

That doesn’t mean the romance was “background noise” though.

I'm in my late 20's and it just makes me more excited to watch it .

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Also I think it’s fair to say that every version of Superman media I mentioned has done a good job of balancing the romance and action.

That doesn’t mean the romance was “background noise” though.
    Oh, totally. I don't think any of them really didn't. Most properties - and particularly serialized properties absolutely need to balance that stuff. I think Superman, better than most comic book mythos is exceptionally well built for that.

Look, I'm in my early 40's and it's exactly what I want out of a Superman show. Even when I was younger, the shows that caught my attention always balanced things and had plenty of drama/romance, etc.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Part of what I enjoy about Superheroes is the romance, so that always helps sell it for me .
    Right there with you, bud.

Early 30s here and same here. I enjoy the big action stuff but character work is where I really live. Hell, I'm working on something now for fun and it's pretty much integral. Wouldn't feel right to me without some Lois and Clark romance in there.

Ultimately, balance is key. L&C has elements I greatly enjoyed but I wouldn't say it's my favorite... And I'm not the target demographic so that's perfectly alright!

This could lose me, but a focus on romance tells me it's going to have more emphasis on Metropolis and not just aliens or robots... But I want that too. I just don't want his friends, family and love interest/apparent co-lead to get lost in the shuffle and I don't think it will because...

Girls love action! They do. Look at stuff with large female followings. There's lots of action shows, comics, etc. In my experience, stuff made for women better balances action, drama, romance etc because typically guys want that stuff on the back burner. That's not better or worse, but I have a strong feeling we'll see some cool action in this show but it may not be the priority. Lots of action packed shows, comics, video games, manga and anime have massive female followers.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-09-2021 at 04:56 PM.