Page 36 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Im majorly excited for this!!!!

Shame on anyone shaming Lois for not being big boobed and buxom. She can be petite with short hair, WOMEN like that do exist *gasp* yes they do.

I don't see anyone commenting that a few of the Superman animated movies have had a black Lex Luthor, never bothered me they changed his race. If Jimmy's black in any version of Superman it's fine with me

Quote Originally Posted by chickymonkey View Post

Shame on anyone shaming Lois for not being big boobed and buxom. She can be petite with short hair, WOMEN like that do exist *gasp* yes they do.

I don't see anyone commenting that a few of the Superman animated movies have had a black Lex Luthor, never bothered me they changed his race. If Jimmy's black in any version of Superman it's fine with me
    I don't really have any problems with Lois' design in this although I do prefer her with longer hair generally...

I just want John Henry Irons in this. If we get him alongside Jimmy then I’m a-ok with the changes. Need Irons in more stuff so he can build up a fanbase.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Was there ever an animated Lex Luthor confirmed to be Black? I always figured DCAU Luthor just had a skin tone that was similar to, say, the former Rachel Dolezal...

I suppose his race was ambiguous enough that people would wonder, but since Clancy Brown himself is white I associted his Luthor as white, too.

Or maybe Alan Burnett and co. predicted that a businessman-turned-politician would really, really like fake tans...

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Was there ever an animated Lex Luthor confirmed to be Black? I always figured DCAU Luthor just had a skin tone that was similar to, say, the former Rachel Dolezal...

I suppose his race was ambiguous enough that people would wonder, but since Clancy Brown himself is white I associted his Luthor as white, too.

Or maybe Alan Burnett and co. predicted that a businessman-turned-politician would really, really like fake tans...
    Lot of people apparently read Lex as black/mixed because of the lips. I know some Asian kids I grew up with thought Supes was Asian in the DCAU because of the eyes. But the only Lex who was intended to be black is the Harley Quinn one voiced by Esposito:
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I just want John Henry Irons in this. If we get him alongside Jimmy then I’m a-ok with the changes. Need Irons in more stuff so he can build up a fanbase.
    Personally I hope they save any supporting heroes for season 2. Let Supes be the undisputed lead hero here.

Lot of people apparently read Lex as black/mixed because of the lips. I know some Asian kids I grew up with thought Supes was Asian in the DCAU because of the eyes. But the only Lex who was intended to be black is the Harley Quinn one voiced by Esposito:
    Thanks for the explanation.

I forgot to mention that I read a few weeks ago that the STAS Luthor design is inspired by Telly Savalas' Ernst Stavros Blofeld from On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Blofeld (and Savalas) is Greek, so I think of STAS Luthor as having "olive" complexion instead of dark.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I always took the DCAU Luthor as being somewhat based on the Telly Sevalas version of Blofeld from ON HER MAJESTYS SECRET SERVICE. Clancy Browns vocal performance is definitely cribbed from that. Go watch that movie or clips of Sevalas' scenes and close your eyes and listen and you will hear the similarities. Luthor's overall look also is very much inspired by that version, aside from the tan.

Edit: I didn't see that you made the same connection! Great minds think alike.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 10-11-2021 at 01:17 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Lois does look like the girl from the Owl House

Thanks for the explanation.

I forgot to mention that I read a few weeks ago that the STAS Luthor design is inspired by Telly Savalas' Ernst Stavros Blofeld from On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Blofeld (and Savalas) is Greek, so I think of STAS Luthor as having "olive" complexion instead of dark.
    Skin tone wise he and Clark have the exact same color:

But the lips really threw people off lol.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

People had the same issue with Two-Face from BTAS, it was thought he was black by many people but I don't think his skin tone was different from Bruce

No trailer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    No trailer yet?
    Fandome is what I’m hoping for. Otherwise maybe after the show closer to release. Be a missed opportunity if it’s not there at all.

Fandome is what I’m hoping for. Otherwise maybe after the show closer to release. Be a missed opportunity if it’s not there at all.
    There's supposed to be a DC Kids Fandome before the main event at 10:00. I wonder if that's where they'll talk about the Superman and Batman cartoons.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

On a commentary track, Timm brought it up. It wasn't intentional, and they suggest he might be Greek. It stuck out to me because I'm ethnically Greek and never heard anyone suggest he looked like us, but I guess I see it?

A darker complexion and pronounced lips in animation is almost universally read as black, so I think everyone just assumed as much. But I can see his features resembling some Mediterranean sculptures.

I don't think he is, though. Even on that commentary, they're pretty noncommittal in their assessment.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-14-2021 at 01:41 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.