Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

This is going to be the perfect show to introduce my kid sister to Superman.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    This is going to be the perfect show to introduce my kid sister to Superman.
    That's awesome. Hope it's everything she wants out of a Superman show.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Then, again, as it’s been pointed out to you over and over ....Superman may just not be for you period. Because romance in Superman is rarely if ever “background noise” especially in media properties where the demographic of people they are trying to reach is, understandable, a lot more diverse than “young guy who might buy a comic and thinks romance is yuck.”

The truth is the model you propose is not sustainable for Superman. The love story is and always has been an integral part of his story even if it’s been approached ::differently:; depending on the time period.

It’s commendable that WB is finally recognizing, clear as day, that girls are part of Superman’s demo. If that’s not for you, then again, Superman media as a whole is probably not for you because literally ALL of the successful Superman media from the Donner film to Lois and Clark to Smallville to Superman and Lois recognizes, correctly, that non stop action does not appeal to the general public.
    I didn't propose any model to begin with.Also, invincible has decent action.a bit gory,but action nonetheless.It is basically a teen drama as well..as for clark kent not being for me.Yeah! That's true.I was just here cause people where comparing it to mainstream shonen which is battle oriented.That's it.would i like to watch an action oriented series with superman?hell yeah!did i say anything else?no...

Also sorry for posting that "this ain't for me and leaving"....What do people want me to do exactly?not post opinion That isn't even hurting anybody.This whole ,"shut up and superman ain't for you" thing has gone past annoying.who is superman for anyways?Apologies for being rude..If you get the content you like. that's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Girls love action! They do. Look at stuff with large female followings. There's lots of action shows, comics, etc. In my experience, stuff made for women better balances action, drama, romance etc because typically guys want that stuff on the back burner. That's not better or worse, but I have a strong feeling we'll see some cool action in this show but it may not be the priority. Lots of action packed shows, comics, video games, manga and anime have massive female followers.
    I don't know about girls loving action.I am not gonna make presumption based on ancedotal of my girlfriend liking or whatever.As for it being not the priority..90 to 99 percent superman content doesn't have action as priority, right from donner movies..This would be no different.I don't expect it to.Mangas and video games are different animal.It's not ip.Everyone gets to choose genre content..Dragon ball or one piece won't have romance.which a violet evergarden (a romance story i like)or cardcaptor sakura or whatever.That doesn't mean one piece doesn't have female fans.like you where saying.This debate is wierd considering mcu is huge and reaches a diverse population... Anyways,all i ever said was this ain't for me..Unless,there is something groundbreaking..Also,treating action as "set pieces" and character focused subject is a western thing.Action should drive the story and should provide emotional weight,catharsis..etc.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-10-2021 at 01:42 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

'MY ADVENTURES WITH SUPERMAN' will take inspiration from the Christopher Reeve films.

I’m cool with this, but how does anyone else feel about this?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-12-2021 at 11:31 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    'MY ADVENTURES WITH SUPERMAN' will take inspiration from the Christopher Reeve films.

I can hear manwhohaseverything groan from whichever part of the globe he's posting from.

Reeve had a great take. We have to see how far that inspiration goes and if this feels like its own thing, but I'll never think of having Reeve in mind when writing Superman is a bad idea. Don't slavishly copy the guy, but he's a great take to be sure.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-12-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

Love ‘em or hate ‘em those films are always going to be the “iconic” form of Superman for a lot of people. Even stuff that tried to break away from them often ends up still incorporating a lot of their DNA. My guess is that they’ll be drawing on those films hopefully for inspiration into how to split the dual identity going off of that one picture they’ve released, and that doesn’t bother me. The DCAU really didn’t do much to differentiate the two, following in the footsteps of Byrne, so I’m cool with a new take revisiting the Clark/Superman dichotomy as something much more extreme:
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Eventually, the next generation of authors will take inspiration from more modern takes on Superman. Like Snyder's.

BANNED

I kind of hope that they embrace the Tarantino speech about Clark being the mask and Superman being the costume...but not in a malicious way.

I hope that this Superman takes a pre-crisis approach where Superman chooses to be Clark Kent to fit in with the humans that help him cope with the grief and loneliness he feels about the destruction of krypton

Which was something pre-crisis Superman remembered vividly

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Eventually, the next generation of authors will take inspiration from more modern takes on Superman. Like Snyder's.
    Those dark days are coming, sadly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Those dark days are coming, sadly.
    The chances of that happening are slim

Henry Cavill Superman wasn’t particularly well-liked and only had about one movie with a bunch of forgettable crossovers afterwards

Smallville is probably going to play more of a role in how kids write Superman than Snyder’s

Personally I think Injustice, Invincible, the Boys, and other evil Superman takes will all be far more impactful. Snyder’s Superman, cool fight scenes aside, has precious little in terms of actual character to draw on. And the worst parts of Snyder’s take, the Christ imagery, the edginess, the character being a moron, the character needing Lois to know right from wrong, all preceded him in some degree or another and can already be found in comics.

But we already did get a gen of people drawing on more modern takes: the DCAU and the DCEU both took a lot from Byrne. S&L draws on the work of Busiek and Johns. Frankly the biggest long term impact from the Donner films in the movies/shows that followed was the Fortress oddly enough, only Snyder broke with that aesthetic (although Pa tends to die a lot too).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

No way evil Superman is going to really impact the next generation either outside of replacing ultra-man with injustice Superman in a loose adaptation of crisis on two earths

The one piece of media that I think is going to influence future Superman stories is the DCAU and Smallville

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Personally I think Injustice, Invincible, the Boys, and other evil Superman takes will all be far more impactful.
    This sounds like a nightmare.

Snyder’s Superman, cool fight scenes aside, has precious little in terms of actual character to draw on. And the worst parts of Snyder’s take, the Christ imagery, the edginess, the character being a moron, the character needing Lois to know right from wrong, all preceded him in some degree or another and can already be found in comics.

But we already did get a gen of people drawing on more modern takes: the DCAU and the DCEU both took a lot from Byrne. S&L draws on the work of Busiek and Johns. Frankly the biggest long term impact from the Donner films in the movies/shows that followed was the Fortress oddly enough, only Snyder broke with that aesthetic (although Pa tends to die a lot too).
    S&L draws from Snyder too, even if on a surface level.

S&L draws from Snyder too, even if on a surface level.
    I don't think many people deeply object to those aesthetic inspirations.

I think the most I see them drawing from Donner is maybe the dynamic between Lois/Clark/Superman and how Clark differentiates between the two identities, but everything else looks decidedly more modern Superman.

Maybe Lex with have Miss Tessmacher and Otis hanging around him.