Page 61 of 79 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    I think that a lot of it had to do with a very toxic mindset that infiltrated Superman editorial that damaged the character

Which was the reduction and removal of Superman’s most outlandish silver age mythology elements like Kandor, supergirl, and Superboy along with Bronze Age villains like mad scientist Luthor amonst many others

If Superman editorial wasn’t so gun-ho about about making Superman’s mythology smaller in the eighties, Superman would be in a better place as a franchise
    Personally, I think it would had been the other way around. To make Superman rise in those times, using all the Silver age elements, pretty much worn out by the repetitive abuse, you would had need a genious like Alan Moore with a more rekindle vision to reenchant the franchise. (Moore did it later in Supreme, but that is another story). But the spirit of those times was not with those ideas and to force them once and again only would had keep Superman froze. Was Byrne changes the best option? No I think it was not, but it was a departure of what was and that also gave the chance to reexaminate the Silver age elements and put them under a different light.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

00_SteveLombard_MAWS.jpg

I must admit it surprises me to see Steve Lombard under a more positive light, different from Clark's work bully.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 12-04-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    00_SteveLombard_MAWS.jpg

I must admit it surprises me to see Steve Lombard under a more positive light, different from Clark's work bully.
    That's pretty cool..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Personally, I think it would had been the other way around. To make Superman rise in those times, using all the Silver age elements, pretty much worn out by the repetitive abuse, you would had need a genious like Alan Moore with a more rekindle vision to reenchant the franchise. (Moore did it later in Supreme, but that is another story). But the spirit of those times was not with those ideas and to force them once and again only would had keep Superman froze. Was Byrne changes the best option? No I think it was not, but it was a departure of what was and that also gave the chance to reexaminate the Silver age elements and put them under a different light.
    In theory

What happened in practice was that Byrne Superman is largely overshadowed by the triangle era that felt often like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound by developing Superman’s supporting characters again

In the silver age, Superman’s supporting characters were often allowed to participate in Superman stories thanks to the outlandish super-science of the time

But in the Byrne era…lots of characters lost their ability to contribute to the plot because of Byrne’s obsession with “grounded storytelling”

Also removing a lot of silver elements NARROWED the types of stories you can tell with Superman, which is not so coincidentally when Superman started gaining the reputation that he is “hard to write”

It was only after Byrne left did post-crisis Superman actually started to be good
    Last edited by Dagothoth; 12-04-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Variety lists My Adventures With Superman as an upcoming Cartoon Network show.

Upcoming, Cartoon Network still has previously greenlit new episodes of preschool series “Bugs Bunny Builders” and “Sesame Street Mecha Builders,” as well as new seasons of “Craig of the Creek,” “We Baby Bears” and “Teen Titans Go!.” There’s premiere of “Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai,” “Unicorn: Warriors Eternal” and “My Adventures with Superman.” New episodes of “Summer Camp Island” and “Jellystone” are on deck, as are the premieres of “The Heroic Quest of Valiant Prince Ivandoe,” “Iyanu: Child of Wonder.”
    https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/car...ls-1235453151/

If they’re renewing Batwheels then I feel a lot more confident that MAWS might get more than one season.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    I think that a lot of it had to do with a very toxic mindset that infiltrated Superman editorial that damaged the character

Which was the reduction and removal of Superman’s most outlandish silver age mythology elements like Kandor, supergirl, and Superboy along with Bronze Age villains like mad scientist Luthor amonst many others

If Superman editorial wasn’t so gun-ho about about making Superman’s mythology smaller in the eighties, Superman would be in a better place as a franchise
    Nah, I doubt he would. If anything, Superman did need that post-crisis revamp. I stated it in previous comments, Byrne wasn't the guy (he had the right celebrity and path). They should've went with someone like Marv Wolfman, in my opinion.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 12-07-2022 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If they’re renewing Batwheels then I feel a lot more confident that MAWS might get more than one season.
    Hear Hear .

In this interview at 5:40, Josie Campbell reveals Ishmel Sahid is voicing Jimmy:

Hm he was a Nickelodeon actor, can’t find much of a history of VA from him. Hope he does a good job! I think we might get a trailer in Jan if Gunn is planning some big DC blowout.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I only would see Batwheels if the Supermobile makes an appearance.

If Gunn is planning to do animated shows connected to the DCU… where does MAWS fit into that? It overlaps with what the plan is for his Superman reboot, a Year 2 take, but it’s not in the DCU. Would he just let it run? I’m assuming he wouldn’t have any interest in doing a solo Superman cartoon set in the DCU, which means MAWS should coexist fine, but I’m uncertain. I don’t really want everything tied to the DCU because that’s putting all your eggs in one basket.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

If Gunn is planning to do animated shows connected to the DCU… where does MAWS fit into that? It overlaps with what the plan is for his Superman reboot, a Year 2 take, but it’s not in the DCU. Would he just let it run? I’m assuming he wouldn’t have any interest in doing a solo Superman cartoon set in the DCU, which means MAWS should coexist fine, but I’m uncertain. I don’t really want everything tied to the DCU because that’s putting all your eggs in one basket.
    Well Gunn has stated they are making Elseworlds apparently so maybe that's an indication that not everything has to be connected to the DCU hopefully

I feel like chasing animated shows connected to the movies is a losing game and basically handcuffing their media content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Well Gunn has stated they are making Elseworlds apparently so maybe that's an indication that not everything has to be connected to the DCU hopefully
    He’s said that there will be films/shows/games that aren’t DCU related, until we see what his Superman is like I’m hoping that there will continue to be Superman takes separate from his that I enjoy like Hoechlin or (hopefully) MAWS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like chasing animated shows connected to the movies is a losing game and basically handcuffing their media content.
    Agreed. If by some miracle we ever got a Superman game I definitely don’t want it handcuffed to the DCU, that’s too limiting.