Page 46 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Clancy Brown's Luthor had that gift for always sounding intelligent and cunning even when being foolish - something that I think many other versions of animated Lex kind of lacked, either because they wanted to copy Hackman's hamminess, or just didn't focus on going for "gravitas and cruel calculation" that I think the character really needs. Even when brown got the chance to play Crazy Lex, with that very Trump-like breakdown in Public Enemies, he still came off as a bit less of a moron.

So whether its him or not, I want a Lex in the Shea, Brown, or Rosenbaum mold of usually being more intimidating and charismatic. Just keep him as a mad scientist as well, and we're good.
    I feel like Lex is going to be the same age as the other protagonists, so I'm expecting him to be more like Will Friedle's Lex in DC Super Hero Girls or Zachary Quinto's in Man of Tomorrow.

CEO David Zaslav wants to "re-examine children’s programming" at WBD. Apparently, the new leaders aren’t sure children’s content is a good fit on HBO Max, as ratings haven’t been strong. Zaslav "isn’t sold on the current strategy," according to sources.
    From the recent WSJ article. Hopefully this won’t negatively impact MAWS. I think it should be sage given Superman was one of the characters name dropped by Zaslov at the upfront today, but you never know.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    From the recent WSJ article. Hopefully this won’t negatively impact MAWS. I think it should be sage given Superman was one of the characters name dropped by Zaslov at the upfront today, but you never know.
    That would really suck. We need more cartoons.

It's bad enough a lot of DC stuff skews more for adults as it is. Like, would you not want your streaming service to appeal to as many age groups as possible? Talking from a company that owns Sesame Street and Looney Tunes.

(Then again, looking at what they're letting Mindy Kaling do with Scooby-Doo...)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would really suck. We need more cartoons.

It's bad enough a lot of DC stuff skews more for adults as it is. Like, would you not want your streaming service to appeal to as many age groups as possible? Talking from a company that owns Sesame Street and Looney Tunes.

(Then again, looking at what they're letting Mindy Kaling do with Scooby-Doo...)
    Yeah that Velma spin off is wild lol. They’re Harley Quinning Scooby-Doo now? Alright I guess. I think the DC shows are the safest simply because DC is one of the brands Zaslov keeps emphasizing as a key focus, but he’s also a penny pincher. If they don’t perform to expectations they’ll get cancelled immediately.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah that Velma spin off is wild lol. They’re Harley Quinning Scooby-Doo now? Alright I guess. I think the DC shows are the safest simply because DC is one of the brands Zaslov keeps emphasizing as a key focus, but he’s also a penny pincher. If they don’t perform to expectations they’ll get cancelled immediately.
    Nothing I've seen of that show seems like it's really Scooby-Doo beyond the fact that Kaling probably needs something recognizable to help market a show about someone that looks like her.

What I think they need is more stuff that helps get younger audiences (kids especially) into their IP's and characters. That's always something DC has had over Marvel before the MCU became a crowd-pleaser.

Nothing I've seen of that show seems like it's really Scooby-Doo beyond the fact that Kaling probably needs something recognizable to help market a show about someone that looks like her.

What I think they need is more stuff that helps get younger audiences (kids especially) into their IP's and characters. That's always something DC has had over Marvel before the MCU became a crowd-pleaser.
    Yep DC used to be very good about keeping their characters on the small screen, it kept funneling people towards them despite Marvel’s greater popularity. Then they basically quit trying in the 2010s. Hopefully MAWS and TCC mark a turning point back towards pushing DC Animation, I’d hate to see WBD give up on that field yet again.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I was thinking about this the other day. DC/Marvel is in a weird spot in terms of who they market their content towards. Their TV/movies are being made for older audiences nowadays, but The Batman is still being sold in the toy section of Walmart. But, yeah. I think TV show for kids are being entirely left behind. TTG and DC Superhero Girls are the only two I can think at the moment. However, YouTube has filled their place. Plenty of families and ordinary folks on there are doing very good with their bad acting and store brought costumes.

Sucks, my nephews will actually sit down to watch Super Friends, for a while.

Least the kids have the Krypto movie coming up.

Michael Emerson is apparently voicing Brainiac:

Starts at 14:05.

Michael Emerson is apparently voicing Brainiac:

Starts at 14:05.
    Nice to start getting confirmation about Superman Rogues showing up! Man I hope we get a trailer at Fandome this year, I want to see the designs for everyone outside the main trio.

Mighty Member

That's some pretty good casting. I wonder if Brainiac here will be more humorous or if he'll be played more straight.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    That's some pretty good casting. I wonder if Brainiac here will be more humorous or if he'll be played more straight.
    Really hope they don’t make him a humorous character. He’s supposed to be one of Superman’s (and the DCU’s) most dangerous villains.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Really hope they don’t make him a humorous character. He’s supposed to be one of Superman’s (and the DCU’s) most dangerous villains.
    I would think Emerson would play pretty serious but maybe I'm underestimating his comedy chops.

I know this is supposed to be a romcom but I think people are expecting the Superhero stakes to be serious.

They said the Donner films were a big influence and those are mostly on the lighter side bar a few dark/serious moments. Plus the people involved made Voltron so I think that’s a good example of the tone they’ll be going for. It’s not going to be as a dark as the animated films could get, but I think there will be serious portions.

Personally I’d be happy to have it be of the same tone as Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

They said the Donner films were a big influence and those are mostly on the lighter side bar a few dark/serious moments. Plus the people involved made Voltron so I think that’s a good example of the tone they’ll be going for. It’s not going to be as a dark as the animated films could get, but I think there will be serious portions.

Personally I’d be happy to have it be of the same tone as Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
    I'm not expecting it to get that dark, although if I remember right the villains in Voltron were pretty serious compared to the antics of the main characters.

Hopefully no Gene Hackman-esque Lex .