Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Fear State Bat-family Event to Launch in August

This Fall, The Scarecrow is sending Gotham City straight to Hell, and it’s up to Batman and his allies to stop it!

Fear State is a horror themed Gotham City event that unifies plot threads started in DC’s fan-favorite publishing events, DC Future State and Infinite Frontier. Fear State not only continues The Scarecrow’s vision of a fear-controlled Gotham, but also Mayor Christopher Nakano’s mission to protect the city with his ground-breaking deal with The Magistrate.

This can’t miss event is also the launching point for several new series and plotlines across all Batman-family titles, setting a new status quo for 2022! The action begins this August with the following titles:

I Am Batman #0 – The age of a new Dark Knight begins! On August 10, picking up immediately from the events of The Next Batman: Second Son, Jace Fox begins the march toward his destiny when he fights to protect Alleytown against the oppressive forces of the Magistrate, using Batman armor and tech he’s found in Bruce Wayne’s old base of operations, the Hibernaculum!

Written by John Ridley
    Art and Main Cover by Travel Foreman
    Card Stock Variant cover by Dave Wilkins
    Card Stock Variant cover by Derrick Chew
    Card Stock 1:25 Variant cover by Riccardo Federici
    40 Pages; $4.99 ($5.99 card stock variant cover)
    On Sale Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Catwoman #34 – Then on August 17, Alleytown continues to be the hotspot in Gotham City, with Selina Kyle’s quest to keep her home safe beset on all sides, not only by law enforcement gone bad, but a potential invasion by the city’s villains as well. And if those problems aren’t enough, Batman makes the scene, breaking his and Selina’s vow to give each other another one-year break.

Harley Quinn #6 – What would any crisis that threatens all of Gotham City be without Harley Quinn? Boring, that’s what! The mistress of mischief and mayhem teams up with Catwoman to kick the Magistrate out of Alleytown for good!

Batman: Fear State Alpha #1 –   The event over a year in the making begins...Fear State settles upon Gotham City, and no one is safe! Overwhelmed by the dual threat of the Scarecrow and Peacekeeper-01, Batman and his allies have been one step behind since the events of Infinite Frontier #0...and with the arrival of a mysterious anti-Oracle and the return of Poison Ivy...Batman might have more than he can handle! 

Written by James Tynion IV
    Art by Riccardo Federici
    Main cover by Ben Oliver
    Variant cover by Dylan Teague
    1:25 ratio variant cover by Jorge Jimenez
    1:50 ratio variant cover by Francesco Mattina
    40 Pages; $4.99 ($5.99 card stock variant cover)
    On Sale Tuesday, August 31, 2021

And don’t worry, Batman gets his taste of Fear State first hand beginning in September with issue #112 through issue #117, and here’s a sneak peek at variant covers for all six issues by artist Jorge Molina, which connect to from a linked image of the allies and enemies that the Dark Knight will encounter throughout this must-read event!
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...recrow-and-the

New event Tynion's been building to spread throughout the fall

Im extremely excited!

I have been loving the new Gotham that has been being built up recently.

Looking forward to seeing Jace suit up and Scarecrows plans coming to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Im extremely excited!

Same!

Why is Jorge Jimenez not officially name dropped for Batman title? I really need to see him as a mainstay with Tynion. To me he is the new Jim Lee.

Loving the connected covers and Poison Ivy's design.

Nice, looks like Nightwing isn't getting dragged into the event.

I’m down for a lot of this personally, I’ve been a big fan of second son as the origins for Jace to become Batman so to get a sequel with honestly such a perfect name of “I AM BATMAN” is pretty cool.

As for fear state, I actually kind of like it as a play on Future State and it honestly feels nice to have a big Batman crossover not focus on the Joker or Bane. About time we gave the Scarecrow something more to do, plus if it’s all based on what Tynion has been building that to me is a lot more interesting then what we got in Joker War.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Batman: Fear State Alpha #1 Cover by Ben Oliver

Batman: Fear State Alpha #1 Variant by Dylan Teague

Batman: Fear State Alpha #1 Variant by Jorge Jimenez

Extraordinary Member

Batman: Fear State Alpha #1 Variant by Francesco Mattina

Batman 112-117 Variants by Jorge Molina

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Travel Foreman

Extraordinary Member

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Dave Wilkins

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Derrick Chew

I Am Batman #0 Cover by Riccardo Federici

Extraordinary Member

Catwoman #34 Cover by Matteo Scalera

Harley Quinn #6 Cover by Riley Rossmo

Harley Quinn #6 Variant by Derrick Chew

No Robin or Nightwing in this event. That's great!!
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    No Robin or Nightwing in this event. That's great!!
    On the other hand, maybe encountering Dick could help start jogging Lian's lost memories. But maybe it's too early for them to start on that plot thread.

Hopefully the Catwoman/Harley thing is just a loose connection and not a "part one/part two" thing. Not really down for buying Harley.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Nice, looks like Nightwing isn't getting dragged into the event.
    Thank goodness i dont want his story paused until the arc is over

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It’s only month 1. Let’s see what November looks like first before we start celebrating.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Im extremely excited!

Same. I really like that Tynion, IMO, has been able to create the illusion of change which can be hard in comics, and change up the status quo for now. It reminds me a bit of the Batman Reborn era, with Jace stepping up to be Batman instead of Dick, new villains like Punchline/Gardner/Miracle Molly/Simon Saint in comparison to Professor Pyg/Flamingo/Mr. Toad/Simon Hurt, a strong line of books focused on Batman supporting characters that reference and play off one another.

I know that it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I like that the Simon Saint/Magistrate/Scarecrow/Ivy plotlines have all been simmering, and now we'll start to see them come to a boil. I also appreciate how aligned the books are, able to be read on their own, while also being relatively connected and clearly set in the same world. I feel that's one thing as I've been going back to look at books from the past few years, they all seem completely standalone and unless it's something huge, IE Ric Grayson, the books all do their own thing and there's the impression the writers aren't communicating or working together.