Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

So is the Seer going to turn out to be someone we already know?

Is Gardener going to replace Woodrue in Poison Ivy's origin?

What's going to be different from Arkham Tower to Arkham Aslyum? Or Manor?

Oh joy. Bruce leaving Gotham. Again .

Fear State Checklist - 35 Issues

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is the Seer going to turn out to be someone we already know?

Is Gardener going to replace Woodrue in Poison Ivy's origin?

What's going to be different from Arkham Tower to Arkham Aslyum? Or Manor?

Oh joy. Bruce leaving Gotham. Again .
    I hope Seer isn’t Luke Fox.
    All the other heroes are accounted for (except Harper who’s undercover in prison).

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

the arkham city book doesn't really sound connected to fear state, I wonder why it's being considered a tie in?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    the arkham city book doesn't really sound connected to fear state, I wonder why it's being considered a tie in?
    Maybe it relates to Arkham Tower?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Fear State Checklist - 35 Issues

I bought all of the future state stuff having.to do with batman and his family/villains. That was over a hundred bucks. I'm not shelling out double for this. I'll buy batman and detective as I usually do but I'll read the rest online. It's too much money for a tynion created event.. Nope not gonna do it d.c.

Extraordinary Member

The Scarecrow Sends Gotham to Hell in Batman: Fear State
    Catwoman

“I've always been fascinated by geographical, cultural and class divides within cities. We label places and people as ‘good’ or ‘bad.’ Alleytown is a ‘bad’ place that is about to become very important to the events that play out in ‘Fear State.’ And that reflects very well on Catwoman, who defies all the labels that have been put on her over the years.”—Ram V
    Detective Comics

“To me, a huge part of working in this world is digging into different levels of fear. For this storyline, we're going deep and creepy. We're taking Batman and Nakano to a place that is falling apart and lined with rows of tiny sharp teeth.”—Mariko Tamaki
    Harley Quinn

“’Fear State’ offers Harley a chance to take a giant step forward and prove herself as a hero despite the many people believing she will fail. It's tough to be a hero when so much is stacked against you, but we get to see how Harley rises to the occasion in her own very Harley kind of way, rekindling some old relationships with familiar faces along the way..."—Stephanie Phillips
    I Am Batman

“Jace begins his adventures during the heart of ‘Fear State,’ which is going to be the comic event of the fall. And next year, we have one more surprise that’s going to change the Fox family—and maybe the DC Universe—forever.”—John Ridley
    Nightwing

“With the Magistrate on the streets and in the air, Gotham is on a knife's edge, and there are no shadows for Nightwing to operate in any longer. The Dynamic Duo will fight side-by-side again as Batman and Nightwing. And Nightwing and Oracle will team up with other members of the Bat-Family to wrestle control of Gotham back from the mysterious Anti-Oracle.”–Tom Taylor

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think this is a symbol for why Tynion's run has been so frustrating for me, there are moments in Alpha like the conversation between Saint and Crane, the way the bat-family was written and even Montoya's reaction to the black out are all incredibly solid character moments that really draw you in...so you know Tynion is a good writer...but there is also just sooo much padding as well. This issue was 33 pages and out of all that there were maybe 15 that told the actual story and that kind of bloat in just a single issue means that an even spanning every book in the line is going to include so much more filler.

And for what reason?

So it feels more epic?

I feel like a good editor should have stepped in and told Tynion that not everything needs to be some big end of the world type deal, especially when you've done that already. Sometimes a good story can be more than good enough if it's just three issues...heck I think my top ten best of Batman list might even be dominated by one shots.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I feel like a good editor should have stepped in and told Tynion that not everything needs to be some big end of the world type deal, especially when you've done that already.
    We have to remember that he was taught by Scott Snyder. To the extent that you're correct, that Tynion maybe focuses too much on high stakes (which to note, is kind of common for all writers on the main Batman book), I'm sure Scott Snyder's guidance has influenced Tynion having that approach. I mean this all as a point of context, Tynion's background. I think the larger more interesting question is whether "end of the world" type stakes are kind of expected overtly or not on the main Batman book.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-02-2021 at 07:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    We have to remember that he was taught by Scott Snyder. To the extent that you're correct, that Tynion maybe focuses too much on high stakes (which to note, is kind of common for all writers on the main Batman book), I'm sure Scott Snyder's guidance has influenced Tynion having that approach. I mean this all as a point of context, Tynion's background. I think the larger more interesting question is whether "end of the world" type stakes are kind of expected overtly or not on the main Batman book.
    Once in a while a big action set piece story is fun, but it stops being fun when every single story reads that way.

Once in a while a big action set piece story is fun, but it stops being fun when every single story reads that way.
    And we've gotten so many in succession.

It does get to the point where the city and all the characters are so twisted and destroyed by these mega-events that you almost wish they would just go ahead and do to Gotham City what they did to Coast City back in the day . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It does get to the point where the city and all the characters are so twisted and destroyed by these mega-events that you almost wish they would just go ahead and do to Gotham City what they did to Coast City back in the day . . .
    interesting....*scribbles down in notebook full of stories I'd make at DC*...interesting indeed
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

At the rate all these events are going...

Spectacular Member

Finally read the Alpha issue, and I was very disappointed.

I love the Scarecrow, and I am all for giving him a major storyline. But it all seems so cluttered and inorganic.

Tynion really hasn't done it for me.