Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I dunno, I'd say has to. It's not like Wally was the only Flash. Being Batman is still basically like... being part of the namesake of the Batman Family.
    Wally was the main Flash though. I would get it better if Bruce was gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    But he’s not part of that Batfamily. That’s kind of the point of him being the new Batman. Starting new. They should probably have him start his own Batfamily, rather then adopt or hang around Bruce’s. Meeting the other Bat family characters would just be about trying to get him validation like we saw with FS Nightwing. If they really want validation though they would be better served having him make his Batman his own. Being around Bruce’s family serves against that.
    Seems like his Batfamily is comprised of Fox family drama.
    He's the new Batman. That Batfamily isn't his Batfamily. Having him just step into Bruce's shoes, and hang around all the same people Bruce did, isn't being new. The reason Future State: Nightwing was entirely focused around the Next Batman's dynamic with Grayson was just a shameless attempt to further validate him. That was the entire purpose of the dynamic. To show to readers Dick giving the new guy the ok. But that kind of hand holding is belittling. The point of the next Batman is to start new, so start new. Beyond Black Batman the character sell with Jace as the new Batman is that he's an unknown outsider. A fresh start on someone new and from the outside taking up the mantle. Thats the idea they need to embrace. Not try to pander by thinking fans need to see familiar characters accept him. They might as well just have made Luke the new Batman then.
    He's not even stepping into Bruce's shoes because Bruce hasn't left them. He's just using the Batman identity independently for his own purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wally was the main Flash though. I would get it better if Bruce was gone.
    I think Jace will be the main Batman for a little while. Bruce will definitely still have a few titles, but considering Joshua Williamson's comments on Jace being in Batman, Detective Comics, and Urban Legends to some degree it seems there will be a significant push for a period of time.

I think Jace will be the main Batman for a little while. Bruce will definitely still have a few titles, but considering Joshua Williamson's comments on Jace being in Batman, Detective Comics, and Urban Legends to some degree it seems there will be a significant push for a period of time.
    I mean, if this is phasing out Bruce for a while then that makes sense. I'd hate it, but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, if this is phasing out Bruce for a while then that makes sense. I'd hate it, but it makes sense.
    I don't see them phasing out Bruce, he just won't be the main Batman. Like how Clark is keeping Action Comics and is still Superman.

I don't see them phasing out Bruce, he just won't be the main Batman. Like how Clark is keeping Action Comics and is still Superman.
    Well, then they're both the mains .

I'm not missing any point, I just find your point entirely wrong. Him being his own Batman isn't predicated on ignoring an entire part of the Batman mythos.
    They do have to ignore parts though, some stuff they can’t, but they can’t just take the Batman’s mythos and cut an paste onto the new guy and the expect anyone to see anything new there. The point is to start new. They need to establish new parts of his Batman mythos for the new Batman. Otherwise what’s the point then. There are things he doesn’t need to inherit to actually sell the idea of this is new and so he can remake the mythos into his own.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-23-2021 at 10:20 PM.

They do have to ignore parts though, some stuff they can’t, but they can’t just take the Batman’s mythos and cut an paste onto the new guy and the expect anyone to see anything new there. The point is to start new. They need to establish new parts of his Batman mythos for the new Batman. Otherwise what’s the point then. There are things he doesn’t need to inherit to actually sell the idea of this is new and so he can remake the mythos into his own.
    Man, if you really think Jace isn't meeting other members of the Bat-Family I bet you're gonna be disappointed.

Incredible Member

It's possible that Jace will appear in the backup stories of Batman and Detective Comics.
    As for whether he'll become the main Batman- It just doesn't make much sense pushing him to replace Bruce when Bruce sells so well and Jace currently doesn't. Superman doesn't sell well, so it make sense that DC wants to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    It's possible that Jace will appear in the backup stories of Batman and Detective Comics.
    As for whether he'll become the main Batman- It just doesn't make much sense pushing him to replace Bruce when Bruce sells so well and Jace currently doesn't. Superman doesn't sell well, so it make sense that DC wants to replace him.
    The Next Batman was the best seller of Future State, which Joshua Williamson has stated sold very well for DC. So I don't agree with that.

No one is replacing anyone. Clark and Bruce are sticking around, they're just not the only Batman and Superman anymore.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 05-24-2021 at 12:25 AM.

Incredible Member

Well, currently Jace isn't selling so well. His debute issue seems to have sold considerably less than Robin's, for example.
    Maybe that the reason they are planning to push his next series so hard.

Also, future state was an event, and it's unclear how well it would have sold long-term. Teen titans sold well on the event, and it's declining in sales ever since. It also seems that Future state Gotham didn't even reach the 10 best selling comics of the week.

I feel like this is the entirely wrong approach. All this is happening because DC wants a Black Batman they can sell, but I don't think anyone really cares about Jace. I mean they had to start calling him Jace over Tim because they didn't want to confuse people with Tim Drake, haha. I think they really should have just used Duke if they wanted a black Batman. I don't really care about Duke, but I at least care more about Duke than I do Jace and they could have continued to invest in Duke's character more by maybe having him be Batman in the future or something. Build him up more.

But I guess if they also wanted him to be Batman in the present then Duke might be a bit young for that. I suppose they mostly wanted to use Jace because he was a complete blank slate, but I don't know if that is really the kind of character you want to try and sell as Batman. But again, I'm not really interested in any of this event stuff so I'm the wrong audience for it.

Amazing Member

Wait? Excuse me but have i missed something?

Isnt Jace just in the Future State timeline and I am Batman continues from there?
    Where was the talk about him "replacing" Bruce in any kind of way?

His whole story is running in a different timeline.
    Did i miss some key information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post

Isnt Jace just in the Future State timeline and I am Batman continues from there?

He isn't replacing bruce. They are hoping that he will be able to stand side by side with bruce as a modern day Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Well, currently Jace isn't selling so well. His debute issue seems to have sold considerably less than Robin's, for example.
    Maybe that the reason they are planning to push his next series so hard.

Also, future state was an event, and it's unclear how well it would have sold long-term. Teen titans sold well on the event, and it's declining in sales ever since. It also seems that Future state Gotham didn't even reach the 10 best selling comics of the week.
    1. How do you know?
    2. Damian Wayne has an established fanbase and several animated movies.
    3. It's a Digital-First regardless.
    4. If Joshua Williamson says it sold well, it's not unclear, it sold well.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post

Sounds like you haven't seen the next batman second son series? It explains Jace's back story and is in continuity: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...by-john-ridley