Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What this cover needs is Groucho Marx's mustache. But IIRC the vaudeville version was put on with shoe polish.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Doesn't most every cover needs more Groucho?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He didn't make the cover, but Groucho appeared in Giant Size Master of Kung Fu.

You guys are aware Groucho is the sidekick of legendary Italian comic book hero Dylan Dog, right? He wasn't in the movie adaptation, though.
    Last edited by Kai "the spy"; 05-21-2021 at 05:15 AM.

Late to the party here. But I when I saw the topic I had to post my favorite Iron Man baddie

Attached Images Attached Images
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    You guys are aware Groucho is the sidekick of legendary Italian comic book hero Dylan Dog, right? He wasn't in the movie adaptation, though.
    I was not aware of that. I think I have only read one Dylan Dog. Thanks for the info.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I hate when this happens:

Astonishing Member

As long as we're discussing Groucho in comic books, let us not forget "Lord Julius" from Cerebus. According to Comic Vine, he appeared in 35 issues (during the "Church and State" phonebook).

Given the many examples here, one might almost think this contest is "unfortunate Asian stereotypes"…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Given the many examples here, one might almost think this contest is "unfortunate Asian stereotypes"…
    Although they are hardly the majority of the covers, they are indeed unfortunate…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

That contest would be too simple, given that probably half the comic book covers from WWII would fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Grease paint actually, but why quibble?
    Yet his "moustache" is one of the most iconic of all time, perhaps the most iconic but at least top five. Originally he wore a glued-on prop moustache, then he used the greasepaint one day when he was in a hurry. The rest is history.

He actually grew a real moustache for "You Bet Your Life"
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 05-21-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Germany's most successful comic book creator of all times must be Ralf König, whose stories about gay life and culture have been turned into several motion pictures, and feature many mustaches.

This one is not about the Jan 6 insurrection, but about the founding mythos of the city of Cologne.

Is this the first time we've had a Ralf König cover for the contest? His retelling of Lysistrate is a riot!
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Is this the first time we've had a Ralf König cover for the contest?
    No, it’s not the first time… if I’m not mistaken.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    No, it’s not the first time… if I’m not mistaken.
    Couldn't find any with search, but he might have gone unnamed. Great comics artist and storyteller with a singular style.

Couldn't find any with search, but he might have gone unnamed. Great comics artist and storyteller with a singular style.
    “Cover Contest Jan 27 - Feb 2: Scenes from an Ordinary, Normal Life”… I voted for it.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar