Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Sypha Belnades vs. Avatar Korra

Having seen the final season of Castlevania I too wish to use Sypha in a rumble and this is the one I came up with.

So the speaker magician takes on the avatar in an elemental throwdown with Republic City as their battle ground.

Two fights.

1. Korra is allowed to use the Avatar state
    2. Korra isn't allowed to use the Avatar state

Who wins?
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 05-19-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I'm having a hard time remembering Korra's feats. How was her earthbending? I feel like that could make or break the fight for her here. It's gonna be a wonky fight anyway, since they're both using different power sources that have both demonstrated an ability to gank control of elemental stuff other people are doing. I'm not sure Sypha has a great answer to the kind of earthbending we saw on a regular basis in AtLA, but otherwise, I feel like she's the better, more coordinated fighter.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

I agree that Earth and Air element attacks might be something of an advantage for Korra, but to an extent...yeah I need a refresher.

The use of fire might cancel out for one another, I'm not sure. In terms of using water, I don't think Sypha needs to source her ice from anywhere. She's also used rapid AOE freezing such as when she killed Cho.

If the fight goes to close quarters, it might be the age-appropriate ratings skewing things, but I think Sypha might have the advantage as of S4. She's never been slow, able to hold off armed vampires with ice projectiles and such, but she's gotten really proficiently stabby lately and more overtly lethal.

Is Korra allowed the use of the Avatar State?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

well her earth bending is at a level that she can metal bend, akin to the skill it takes to bend lightning for fire benders.

I'm more interested in how she is at doing walls and earth armour and tossing boulders around, since anything metal is just asking Sypha to electrocute her. My main memory of Korra's earthbending is throwing those little disks in the early series, but I'm sure she's done more.

If she's got a lot of AtLA-level feats with earthbending, I might be inclined to bet on her, just because I think it flat out negates most of Sypha's best stuff if used effectively. As far as the freezing on Cho goes... I think she was mist at the time? I mean, it's still pretty good, but it seems like Cho was probably specifically vulnerable to that attack at that moment.

Extraordinary Member

Here's a showcase of Korra's earthbending.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Is Korra allowed the use of the Avatar State?
    Let's do one where she's allowed to use and one where she isn't allowed to use it.

Thank you. Yeah, I think with the level of earthbending she has, she probably has the advantage. She's at least equal to Sypha in most areas (probably better than I'm remembering), and being able to do super fast earth walls and sudden punt-vehicles-into-the-sky pillars gives her a set of offense and defense Sypha isn't real well equipped to overcome.

ya know, it kinda feels out of place that i never wachted avatar of legend of korra....it looks good.

I'm not sure Sypha has a defense for having giant boulders hurled towards her, aside from jetting away using her fire blasts, which puts her on the defensive for most of the fight... does korra make boulders out of thin air? or can she only manipulate it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    ya know, it kinda feels out of place that i never wachted avatar of legend of korra....it looks good.

I'm not sure Sypha has a defense for having giant boulders hurled towards her, aside from jetting away using her fire blasts, which puts her on the defensive for most of the fight... does korra make boulders out of thin air? or can she only manipulate it?
    The story in Legend of Korra is somewhat uneven due to a less than perfect production schedule and things going on behind the scenes, also they hadn't prepped for it nearly as long as they did for The Last Air-Bender. But it is generally a fun and engaging show, and it looks fantastic.

Korra needs access to water, earth and air that she can manipulate. She can only create fire out of basically nothing.

While we're on flight, I'd say that Sypha at least seems to be more adept at flying around than Korra, who can only really do prolonged flight when in the Avatar state.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post

No Avatar benders have to get their element from their surroundings, so she'd have to rip up the ground. An exact location of the map would be helpful here. I think if Korra can dig in she can take the fight with Earth Bending.

Edit: Whoops, didn't notice that we're in Republic City. That should work just as well as Khazan though. Lots of easily accessible stone and earth.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Edit: Whoops, didn't notice that we're in Republic City. That should work just as well as Khazan though. Lots of easily accessible stone and earth.
    Metal bending cop lady is going to give her ALL Kinds of grief if Korra tears up all those streets again.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Spectacular Member

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but Korra has a lot of experience in both deflecting attacks and fighting someone that can deflect her attacks. I don't recall Sypha ever fighting anyone that could control the elements. So, I think that's an advantage for Korra.

Sypha's ability to pull water out of seemingly thin air could potentially be a liability in this fight. Korra has fought loads of waterbenders, and it focuses on redirecting attacks.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

For my money, Sypha takes base Korra. Korra appears to have more blunt power to her but Sypha is incredibly versatile, good at strategy and adapting on the fly and is used to fighting opponents who notionally outpower her.

She's not touch Avatar State Korra though. Power disparity is waaay to large.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    If she's got a lot of AtLA-level feats with earthbending, I might be inclined to bet on her, just because I think it flat out negates most of Sypha's best stuff if used effectively. As far as the freezing on Cho goes... I think she was mist at the time? I mean, it's still pretty good, but it seems like Cho was probably specifically vulnerable to that attack at that moment.
    Korra falls far short of the earth bending of Toph or Bumi, but is better than all the other last airbender earth benders.