Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Injustice movie

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    How is that different...from any piece of media featuring Harley Quinn ?

Even in the DCAU she had an equal hand in mind raping Tim Drake and gets to live happily into to old age while Joker's the one whose presented as having "gone too far this time".
    She was thought dead at least and ended her days of crime. She wasn't just let go and protected at all costs.

Yes Harley becoming Batman and co’s Wacky Gal Pal is utterly insufferable. NRS trying to make you feel bad for Harley when Diana stabs her in I2 is so brain dead because everything is literally her fault. Don’t know why they didn’t just let Murderman kill her in this movie, they killed Flash so it’s not like they were afraid to deviate hard. Her death wouldn’t have changed anything anyway.

One last thing I want to bring up: Man is the VA bad here. Superman and WW in particular are really bad. Korra voicing WW sounds like a great idea but she wasn’t used well here at all. The Batman VA was solid generally as an exception but everyone seems to be trying to ape the DCAU voices and it leaves me wondering why they didn’t just use those guys like the games did. I guess to establish this is a different take? No skin off my back since it only drags the movie down further!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    "good" (new animated universe) superman STILL is consistly shown to be a superman who can't win, and if he does can't by himself ugh.

I'm glad I watched it, but I'm also glad I never have to watch it again
    Wait...wait...

spoilers:
    The Superman they grab to fight IJ Supes is Darren Criss'?
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Harley Quinn is a particularly tricky character that DC has, I think, unexpectedly found to be a goldmine. Unfortunately, they're stuck between Harley as a fun Deadpool-esque character and the actual reality of what it would mean to be the accomplice to all the many, many atrocities that The Joker is regularly committing.

The current Harley Quinn comics seem to be trying to grapple with that very idea. Hopefully, they manage to pull it off, because it's left Harley Quinn in a awkward position in terms of adaptations.
    With Harley, it's like her popularity overrides logic and they treat her as this manic, crazy, wildchild who can pal around with heroes and villains whenever the story needs it and everyone takes it in stride despite the fact that she's a violent, crazy, and often unrepentant person who, abuse aside, willingly worked with Joker and committed numerous crimes.

Even her cartoon is kind of guilty in this and they made her worse because she was bad even before Joker got to her (and she already knew he could manipulate her and still went along with him, which just makes her look dumber).
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She was thought dead at least and ended her days of crime. She wasn't just let go and protected at all costs.
    At least in the context of the comic at the time it was because the "good guys" didn't want to kill her or let Superman to execute her (even if you feel she deserved it) and then after the Arkham moment she just kind of got stuck with them and they needed all the help they could get. And this was after Green Arrow tried to take her back to Arkham so she could face justice.

It wasn't, like, 100% convincing of a reason but it at least made some semblance of sense in the context of the way the plot had developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yes Harley becoming Batman and co’s Wacky Gal Pal is utterly insufferable. NRS trying to make you feel bad for Harley when Diana stabs her in I2 is so brain dead because everything is literally her fault. Don’t know why they didn’t just let Murderman kill her in this movie, they killed Flash so it’s not like they were afraid to deviate hard. Her death wouldn’t have changed anything anyway.

One last thing I want to bring up: Man is the VA bad here. Superman and WW in particular are really bad. Korra voicing WW sounds like a great idea but she wasn’t used well here at all. The Batman VA was solid generally as an exception but everyone seems to be trying to ape the DCAU voices and it leaves me wondering why they didn’t just use those guys like the games did. I guess to establish this is a different take? No skin off my back since it only drags the movie down further!
    I assume it was like the Mortal Kombat animated movies that only grabbed, like, 1-2 people from the games to voice their characters again.

Yeah, she got live a life free of the consequences for her actions same as she does Injustice.

Different numbers, same result. Let's not act like this anything new, this is a foundational part of her character like being an alien is for Superman.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-09-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wait...wait...

spoilers:
    The Superman they grab to fight IJ Supes is Darren Criss'?
    end of spoilers
    Yeah the good Superman they grab is voiced by Criss lol (he’s animated in the same style as the rest of the movie though). So technically this is canon as part of the Multiverse they’re building?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah, she got live a life free of the consequences for her actions same as she does Injustice.

Different numbers, same result. Let's not act like this anything new, this is a foundational part of her character like being an alien is for Superman.
    We can't really say for sure since it's off-screen. The fact that she ended up an ordinary old lady having to deal with a mundane lifestyle could be seen as a cruel punishment when seen from the perspective of what she used to be.

I don't think Harley not having to face consequences is really that foundational to the character when a bunch of other versions do face justice. I mean, Gods and Monsters Harley got straight up fanged by vampire Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah the good Superman they grab is voiced by Criss lol (he’s animated in the same style as the rest of the movie though). So technically this is canon as part of the Multiverse they’re building?
    Holy crud. I can't believe they actually did that. People really thought they were going to bring in the new animated universe in this and they actually did it .

Feels like they're speedrunning Criss' Superman at this point when he's already fought Brainiac and now an evil version of himself. Although now I can kind of see the complaints that he can't seem to resolve anything without help.

We can't really say for sure since it's off-screen. The fact that she ended up an ordinary old lady having to deal with a mundane lifestyle could be seen as a cruel punishment when seen from the perspective of what she used to be.

I don't think Harley not having to face consequences is really that foundational to the character when a bunch of other versions do face justice. I mean, Gods and Monsters Harley got straight up fanged by vampire Batman.
    A villain forced to life a normal life and this being some cruel punishment is a writing trope I've never copped to, at least when it comes to ones drenched in blood like Harley is. It's just another variation of her "oh pity me" schtick writers love to drive to the ground.

Holy crud. I can't believe they actually did that. People really thought they were going to bring in the new animated universe in this and they actually did it .

Feels like they're speedrunning Criss' Superman at this point when he's already fought Brainiac and now an evil version of himself. Although now I can kind of see the complaints that he can't seem to resolve anything without help.
    He beat Lobo! He helped keep Lex in jail! For a rookie Superman he’s done ok, his Injustice counterpart is much older and more experienced given Murderman is married to his Lois so I wasn’t too bothered by it. Or maybe I’m just numb to Supes jobbing lol. I like that they’re rapidly establishing him as more experienced because I’m hoping we get another Criss Superman movie that features more of his villains. Still waiting for something like “Hush” or “The Long Halloween” where we get Supes fighting through his entire Rogues Gallery. I’d go with Ending Battle, that would actually be a good follow up to this Injustice movie given you could contrast the two.

A villain forced to life a normal life and this being some cruel punishment is a writing trope I've never copped to, at least when it comes to ones drenched in blood like Harley is. It's just another variation of her "oh pity me" schtick writers love to drive to the ground.
    I'm doing my best to avoid opening that ol' can of worms, but it seems if you want there to be ridiculous, internet outrage toward a character who does something heinous or the writers/creator behind the scene, there's only a small handful of despicable acts you can portray. Apparently, helping plot nuclear holocaust ain't one of them...

BANNED

Yeah but when you are watching the glorified abridged version it hits differently.
    I don’t know—-it’s always hit me hard.

It has always felt legit disgusting to me that Harley emerged as a hero of the Injustice comics “taking down Superman” when she was one of the two people responsible for harming Lois’s body, murdering her and then blowing up the city.

Harley literally caused Superman’s mental break in Injustice and the fact that it’s glossed over in the comics has always been absolutely disgusting. It can’t be worse bc I already think it’s horrendous.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I don’t know—-it’s always hit me hard.

It has always felt legit disgusting to me that Harley emerged as a hero of the Injustice comics “taking down Superman” when she was one of the two people responsible for harming Lois’s body, murdering her and then blowing up the city.

Harley literally caused Superman’s mental break in Injustice and the fact that it’s glossed over in the comics has always been absolutely disgusting. It can’t be worse bc I already think it’s horrendous.
    Harley's popular and kooky so she gets away with it. And the Joker abused her, so everyone must treat her as a victim who was corrupted and if we don't view her as a hero now (or just generally get annoyed by her) we're sexist or whatever.

(I 100% agree with your frustration).

TBF, I don't know if DCAU Harley has as much blood on her hands as Injustice or mainstream canon comic counterparts, so her quietly retiring at least and not bouncing around on the JL is an easier pill to swallow.

Still, her "Moral Event Horizon" in the the DCAU is still aiding the Joker in torturing a teenager to insanity, which is horrendous enough. So if Timm got his original wish and she fell to her death, it would have been more fitting.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-09-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

If that was indeed spoilers:
    Man of Tomorrow Superman, then, lol, they're really in a rush to build the universe, judging by the pregnant Lois.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    TBF, I don't know if DCAU Harley has as much blood on her hands as Injustice or mainstream canon comic counterparts, so her quietly retiring at least and not bouncing around on the JL is an easier pill to swallow.

Still, her "Moral Event Horizon" in the the DCAU is still aiding the Joker in torturing a teenager to insanity, which is horrendous enough. So if Timm got his original wish and she fell to her death, it would have been more fitting.
    I know Jim Shooter was unpopular among a lot of comic book fans, but you kind of wish whoever was in charge of overseeing all these Harley-related projects that Harley has done very little to repay her debt to society the way Shooter pointed out you can't just let Jean/Dark Phoenix off the hook after destroying a star system and killing billions. Harley's a few orders of magnitude behind DP in that sense, but someone with influence on the creative process should stop turning a blind eye to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    If that was indeed spoilers:
    Man of Tomorrow Superman, then, lol, they're really in a rush to build the universe, judging by the pregnant Lois.
    end of spoilers
    I think Vordan pointed out that spoilers:
    the pregnant Lois is not Man of Tomorrow Lois, but rather the Lois of a Superman of another universe who was already dead.

Do you mind if I call her "Uncle Lois Parker" due to the resemblance to finale of Spider-man: The Animated Series?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I know Jim Shooter was unpopular among a lot of comic book fans, but you kind of wish whoever was in charge of overseeing all these Harley-related projects that Harley has done very little to repay her debt to society the way Shooter pointed out you can't just let Jean/Dark Phoenix off the hook after destroying a star system and killing billions. Harley's a few orders of magnitude behind DP in that sense, but someone with influence on the creative process should stop turning a blind eye to this.

I think Vordan pointed out that spoilers:
    the pregnant Lois is not Man of Tomorrow Lois, but rather the Lois of a Superman of another universe who was already dead.

Do you mind if I call her "Uncle Lois Parker" due to the resemblance to finale of Spider-man: The Animated Series?
    end of spoilers
    Yeah it’s another Earth’s Lois not the Tomorrowverse one voiced by Daddario, it’s ok guys I already spoiled the entire ending

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    It really does emphasize the difference in writing quality when it comes to characters. Jean wipes out an entire planet, shows immense guilt and remorse for it and takes herself out at the end of the story to prevent it happening again. The X-Men need a night to think over whether or not they want to even help her, and she's family to them. Because what she did is just that bad.

Harley meanwhile doesn't mean anything personally to any of the JL members and shows little to no remorse for her crimes, yet here she is anyway. It's a bad look for everyone