Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Injustice movie

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Invincible already beating DC to the punch (and having a bigger budget as well) is probably going to make this seem downright tame by comparison. Omni-Man wrecked the Guardians and the gore was insane, meanwhile Murderman here is too incompetent to kill Batman.
    you got to remember that Injustice was a fighting game, its story is expected to be kind of wonky with characters coming up with contrived reasons to beat each other up in between 3-4 minute cutscenes. And thats fine as it comes with the territory. But expecting that story and all its beats and drama to translate to a movie format, I assume this is a prequel but still- is a bit of a leap. Not saying it can't work but its something to keep in mind.
    Stuff like Superman being powerful enough to completely take over the world but there are pills that even the playing field so Harley Quinn can beat up Aquaman in the next level. That kind of wonky stuff.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 07-21-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Why are they not using the voice cast of the video game? That's baffling to me. It makes no sense.
    Well, they only brought back one or two of the game VA's for the Mortal Kombat animated films.

I get “why” people like Injustice, it ticks a lot of boxes for casuals:
    -The main stars are Batman and Superman, DC’s two most popular characters
    -Lots of B and C-Listers die in that early GoT way that makes it feel “meaningful” (ultimately the franchise has run into the same problem GoT did where the characters left are their cash cows and they aren’t willing to kill those)
    -Lots of Jokerwank and Batwank
    -Harley Quinn is a major character
    -Superman murdering people at the time was “transgressive” because it hadn’t been played to death the way it is now
    -Taylor is the king of cheap fanservice, and Injustice is the perfect franchise for him: lots of cameos, lots of fanservice, and the threat of death hangs over everyone to provide stakes the way he struggles to do in his mainline books
    -Stuff like Alfred beating up Superman is hilarious

It’s a universe custom built for people who only care about Batman because ultimately only he matters. He’s the main protagonist and it’s his story with everyone else built around him. So I get why it’s popular just fine, I just think that Injustice was the first to really embody DC’s problem and led us to our current state where nothing sells except Batman: it’s a franchise built around confirming people’s belief that Batman is the only worthwhile character at DC, the Joker is the greatest supervillain ever, and nothing else really matters outside of those two. Nobody else is on Batman’s level, certainly not Superman who gets chumped by Joker, beat down by Alfred, and routinely embarrassed by Batman. And when that’s the most popular incarnation of the DCU, why would I ever care about the world outside Gotham?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So on top of a crappy story it's got crappy art. Good to know I can skip this altogether. And, yes, we all know why it's popular and certainly won't need us to succeed. It's just disappointing that for the longest time THIS was Superman to the general public. I hope things like S&L change that perception but Injustice did a lot of damage to Superman that one TV show on a network most people don't watch can't fix alone.
    Assassinate Putin!

I actually don't mind the animation style, heh. Still won't be checking it out but I don't necessarily think it looks ugly outside of the inherently bad costumes.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So on top of a crappy story it's got crappy art. Good to know I can skip this altogether. And, yes, we all know why it's popular and certainly won't need us to succeed. It's just disappointing that for the longest time THIS was Superman to the general public. I hope things like S&L change that perception but Injustice did a lot of damage to Superman that one TV show on a network most people don't watch can't fix alone.
    At least we'll still have other, better, Superman's existing and this will be just one movie.

Incredible Member

So is it a thing now to make Catwoman black or something, because she wasn't black in the comics or the video games of this.

So is it a thing now to make Catwoman black or something, because she wasn't black in the comics or the video games of this.
    Well, we don't know for sure that she is, even though her VA is, not that I would rule it out.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least we'll still have other, better, Superman's existing and this will be just one movie.
    I'm kind of hoping the whole Injustice franchise starts to die off after this. Like this is the peak and it declines now.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, we don't know for sure that she is, even though her VA is, not that I would rule it out.
    Pretty sure she will be. They tend not to cast VA's that are not the race of the person onscreen anymore, due to backlash.

I'm just wondering why is it her they've suddenly decided to race bend everywhere, as opposed to any of the other characters. Why not Harley? Why not Nightwing?
    Last edited by lilyrose; 07-21-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Pretty sure she will be. They tend not to cast VA's that are not the race of the person onscreen anymore, due to backlash.
    As of the new Space Jam, Rosario Dawson is still being cast as Wonder Woman's voice. So it's not a guarantee.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think there's potential for someone to craft a good yarn out of Injustice. I mean, Taylor did his best, but he was stuck with the truly abysmal video game costumes and a dodgy mixed bag of artists.

I'm curious if they can make this work, but the slap-dash scripts of Superman: Man of Tomorrow and JSA: WW2 don't exactly engender confidence that the current producers of the DC Animated Movies are necessarily the best guys when it comes to quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm curious if they can make this work, but the slap-dash scripts of Superman: Man of Tomorrow and JSA: WW2 don't exactly engender confidence that the current producers of the DC Animated Movies are necessarily the best guys when it comes to quality control.
    I thought I was the only one not sold on this new reboot universe? I actually thought Man of Tomorrow was pretty strong, but after WW2 and LH part 1 I'm right back where I was during the last nu52 inspired continuity - just waiting for the out of universe elseworld stuff and non-mainline projects where quality might still be found.

Wow! Le evil Superman! Such and original idea. Why has nobody thought of this before guys?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Invincible already beating DC to the punch (and having a bigger budget as well) is probably going to make this seem downright tame by comparison. Omni-Man wrecked the Guardians and the gore was insane, meanwhile Murderman here is too incompetent to kill Batman.
    I feel bad to say this, but when Homelander and Omni-Man get into fights, I end up rooting for those bastards. Since they're both very obvious stand-ins for Superman, the last thing I want to see in addition to their being evil is that they can't get stuff done. These ersatz Supermen already have egregious moral flaws, and they don't need to be saddled with another big one (incompetence).