Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Fantastic Four: True Story (spoiler accepted)

I couldn't very well demand (I would have said politely request) a thread on this without being willing to do it myself so here goes.

We all know the Fantastic Four and the main characters. Many of us are aware of Mark Russell's work with numerous relevant and socially aware stories, mostly for the Distinguished Competition. Mix well and read for six issues.

I liked it, but the quick pace of a few pages here and there reminded me more of a clip show rather than an actual story. But how could a single 30 page story truly cover an entire decade? The main FF seem very well covered in terms of personality. But the main difference is in how Ben gets involved. Instead of he and Reed being old college roomies, Johnny knows Ben somehow and knows he's drinking heavily. Granted, it fits into Ben's character, but somehow using him to make a fourth attempt into space after three massive failures seems off for an official US project.

Very few actual stories are referenced but the biggest difference between this and actual Marvel events is that here Reed and Sue met the Beatles as well. I suspect that from this point on, I suspect contact with actual published stories will become more and more Easter Eggy as characters age. Franklin's hitting double digits next issue.

The last panel was incredibly fitting, though. Nice way to finish the sixties.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

While I didn’t care for the way Ben was introduced, I liked the rest. I’m shocked they resisted introducing Doom in the first ten years.

I believe the title should be Fantastic Four: Life Story.

I really liked the issue, it's like comfort food in comic form. It's fun seeing 60s references and the team's interaction with the decade. I usually don't enjoy when they make Sue a scientist too, but I didn't mind it here. She feels like her own person with her own goals and aspirations. That she has a life outside of the Fantastic Four. I particularly enjoyed this moment:

I think Johnny is the one neglected the most this issue, but Russell said that each decade would focus on a member of the team with the 60s being about Reed and Johnny will get the 80s. So Johnny will get his time.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I liked that panel with Susan too!

Since you got this started Captain, I might as well add some of what I wrote up:

When I first read that this mini series would recount the origin of the Fantastic Four, I said to myself "What, again?" I also posted the same sentiment here. I take that all back. This was a great beginning and I am anxious to see where this ends up. Will Reed, Ben, Sue and Johnny become ageless and live to see 2021? Or will a new team take over at some point? But that's getting too far ahead and we have 5 more issues to go yet.

Much like early Marvel, this mixes the Marvel Universe with real world events. We see Reed at the White House meeting with JFK and a fictional scientist named Dr. Ricardo Jones. This scientist AFAIK has never appeared in the MU, or has he? With his bald head and jealousy of Reed he reminds of the scientist in the famed one shot Fantastic Four #51 "This Man, This Monster". He even takes the Thing's place on another mission of Reed's and ends up sacrificing himself to save Reed.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    While I didn’t care for the way Ben was introduced, I liked the rest. I’m shocked they resisted introducing Doom in the first ten years.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. He's a complete no show so far. Maybe Russell wanted to make sure the focus stays on the 4 lead characters? I think sometimes Doom is such a grandiose character that writers, perhaps unwittingly, make him an dominant presence in the story.

We did get Mole Man and the scientist from FF #51. But no Skrulls either and they make they appearance in the MU early on too.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I liked that panel with Susan too!

Since you got this started Captain, I might as well add some of what I wrote up:

When I first read that this mini series would recount the origin of the Fantastic Four, I said to myself "What, again?" I also posted the same sentiment here. I take that all back. This was a great beginning and I am anxious to see where this ends up. Will Reed, Ben, Sue and Johnny become ageless and live to see 2021? Or will a new team take over at some point? But that's getting too far ahead and we have 5 more issues to go yet.

Much like early Marvel, this mixes the Marvel Universe with real world events. We see Reed at the White House meeting with JFK and a fictional scientist named Dr. Ricardo Jones. This scientist AFAIK has never appeared in the MU, or has he? With his bald head and jealousy of Reed he reminds of the scientist in the famed one shot Fantastic Four #51 "This Man, This Monster". He even takes the Thing's place on another mission of Reed's and ends up sacrificing himself to save Reed.
    That’s exactly who it was https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ricar...es_(Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    Thanks.... I thought we never knew his name. I guess I am going to have to read FF #51 again.

Update: I did read FF #51 again. His fan wiki is where they mention his name but he also appeared in a couple of panels in #50. But Stan never gives the character a name. It must have come later. Sometimes those Marvel Handbooks use to give previously unnamed characters a name.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2021 at 05:31 PM.

BANNED

I am not a fan of Reed and Ben not being friends since college, but spotlighting 'This Man this Monster' as a monumental issue (the kind of treatment it doesn't get much of these days) is to the good.

I am not convinced by the blending of the FF with '60s politics and culture, it feels awkward and clumsy.

It's not as strong as Zdarsky-Bagley's Spider-Man Life Story even in Issue#1.

Fantastic Member

I thought it was utterly charming. Not at all what I expected, but nice all the same. I can't wait to hear the narration from other characters -- Sue, especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I am not a fan of Reed and Ben not being friends since college, but spotlighting 'This Man this Monster' as a monumental issue (the kind of treatment it doesn't get much of these days) is to the good.

I am not convinced by the blending of the FF with '60s politics and culture, it feels awkward and clumsy.

To be fair, the FF were big name celebrities. Before the flight Sue and Reed were scientists with jobs and didn't face a lot of the problems Sue was protesting. After the flight, Ben and Johnny basically joined up with Reed and Sue in the 1% crowd. Would they have made a statement had Johnny been on the way to Viet Nam? There's a lot there that wasn't covered that could have been interest, if polarizing. I'd be interested in what didn't make it into the final script.

I guess I am going to have to read FF #51 again.
    Umm, yeah, you are. It's a true classic.

I did go back and read that and the character's name is never given there. So it must have come later somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

I'm going to have to try that one out on Marvel Unlimited.

As for the blending of 60s culture, don't forget Stan and Jack had an issue in the Torch's half of Strange Tales #130 where Ben and Johnny are taking their girlfriends to a Beatles concert. The Beatles get referenced in this story too
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2021 at 05:40 PM.

I have to get this, and will, but wow.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    To be fair, the FF were big name celebrities. Before the flight Sue and Reed were scientists with jobs and didn't face a lot of the problems Sue was protesting. After the flight, Ben and Johnny basically joined up with Reed and Sue in the 1% crowd. Would they have made a statement had Johnny been on the way to Viet Nam? There's a lot there that wasn't covered that could have been interest, if polarizing. I'd be interested in what didn't make it into the final script.
    In the actual '60s Marvel was neutral to indifferent to Vietnam (mostly because that was Lee's attitude at least officially, privately he did lean to supporting the Vietnam War it seems like). The Fantastic Four coming out against the war would have shunned them from public much in the way it did with MLK who spoke against the war when it was inconvenient and unpopular to do so.

As for the blending of 60s culture, don't forget Stan and Jack had an issue in the Torch's half of Strange Tales #130 where Ben and Johnny are taking their girlfriends to a Beatles concert. The Beatles get referenced in this story too
    Yeah but that was done superficially and in passing. It's much more foregrounded here.

Reading interviews with the author, I think he's totally misread the original '60s comics by assuming that Reed is supposed to be the most interesting and relatable character of the Four. He isn't.

Amazing Member

I miss Ben and Reed being best friends. It makes Ben seem less a member of the family, and more like just a guy they asked to pilot the ship who decided to stick around because they asked him to. I wonder why the writer decided to make this change. I also noticed that there was no mention of Alicia. Maybe she'll show up in later issues.

I did enjoy the story very much, and I'm looking forward to the 70's.