Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, Tarintino is a person so he's wrong sometimes. No shame in that.
    The man responsible for this quote is the villain of the movie. I don't expect someone like him to get Superman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I will never understand why anyone thinks that speech is supposed to reflect Tarantino's opinion. The person saying this is a self-admitted murdering bastard who stole a woman's baby after shooting her and all her friends at a wedding rehearsal.
    I think that Tarantino’s goal is sometimes overshadowed by comic fans knowing how Superman has been written at different times in his history - the description Bill gives is incompatible with early Golden Age and Post-Crisis-onward Superman, but is much more applicable to the heavily formulaic “Super-Dickery” era of the late Golden Age and Silver Age, where Clark became an almost redundant relic as they funneled all their creative injuries into his alien aspects (possibly out of desperation to break the monotony of Super-Dickery on Earth.)

I think the trick to TV shows about Superman is, usually, how important a well-written Lois is to the show, as creators will instinctively make Clark more “real” when interacting with her if she’s either a serious reporter or a serious love interest; the more she’s someone the story wants to poke fun at or the less tension between her and Clark matters, the more alien Clark gets.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I really like this show. The personal portrayals are just fun. Mxy looked like a DB Kai. The contrast of the usual hard bitten Lois and this one is a nice change. Race switch on Jimmy - so what. Say Nick Fury. I do think the Supergirl Jimmy/Guardian was idiotic from the plot and usage of the character. Not because of the race switch - the Guardian was stupid.
    At least this Jimmy actually acts like and feels like Jimmy which is more than the Supergirl version ever did even before they turned him into a Superhero.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, being Kal's friend and a young beginner was his reason to be in most stories. Perhaps being elastic or a giant turtle was a bit much but that was better than the 'Guardian'.

Evil Jimmy in the 'Nail' was fun also.

Yeah, Tarintino is a person so he's wrong sometimes. No shame in that.
    In all honesty the interpretation that Superman is the "Real" person and Clark is the disguise is a valid interpretation for the Pre-Crisis era of Superman which Tarantino would have grown up reading. It was only post-crisis that Clark started to become the dominate personality and why it's my favorite version of Superman. I like the Lois and Clark explanation "Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.".

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In all honesty the interpretation that Superman is the "Real" person and Clark is the disguise is a valid interpretation for the Pre-Crisis era of Superman which Tarantino would have grown up reading. It was only post-crisis that Clark started to become the dominate personality and why it's my favorite version of Superman. I like the Lois and Clark explanation "Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.".
    That was the case even pre-crisis, he was a kid raised on a midwestern farm by two kindly farmers who only found out he had powers in adolescence. One could argue that Clark was nothing but a mask in the 50's and 60's during the "super-dickery" age where the Clark persona only existed to seemingly help Superman prank and torment his friends, but aside from that era he was still portrayed as someone who was raised human and only learned of his alien heritage after the fact.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

That was the case even pre-crisis, he was a kid raised on a midwestern farm by two kindly farmers who only found out he had powers in adolescence. One could argue that Clark was nothing but a mask in the 50's and 60's during the "super-dickery" age where the Clark persona only existed to seemingly help Superman prank and torment his friends, but aside from that era he was still portrayed as someone who was raised human and only learned of his alien heritage after the fact.
    Even with the Christopher Reeve film version and Reeve is my favorite Superman on film it shows his raising in Kansas by the Kents and the Kents and Smallville definitely shaped who he was as a person. But once in Metropolis while the core of Clark was him, he also created a persona of a meek and nerdy guy who was clumsy and shy vs the real him like the version we saw with Lois in the Fortress in Superman II. Much like Bruce Wayne today with Bruce being portrayed publicly as an aloof playboy who drinks too much and sleeps in business meetings Clark was very much a disguise back then so no one would ever suspect he was Superman. Since Post Crisis Clark is portrayed occasionally with those aspects although he no longer plays them to the hilt like he uses to in previous books and media. Clark is usually portrayed now as the true persona there is no mask performance.

But if someone grew reading Pre-Crisis and watching the George Reeves show and Christopher Reeve films, I could see someone walking away with the interpretation that Clark is a mask and Superman is the true persona. It doesn't mean Clark views himself as Kryptonian vs human just that when Superman back then he just didn't have to put on a show and could be himself.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 08-14-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Arguably, the more intriguing twist this show has on the "identity Debate" is that the "real" personality is a genuine, dorky dweeb, and that even at his most assertive and "masked," this Superman is still charmingly awkward and nerdy.

The conventional portrayal, while never really having him be a jerk (outside of both the covers and "fridge logic" analysis of the Super-Dickery formula), tended more towards the "real" personality being a traditionally "masculine" one; Golden Age Clark, Silver Age superman, and Prost-Crisis Clark were compassionate but usually "macho."

The MAWS version isn't the first to have more dork traits (DCAU Superman could pull them out at times, and the Superman and Lois version is pretty well rounded in that area), but he is the first to have them emphasized just not as a character trait, but as the seeming main attractive feature to this Lois.

MWAS Lois is clearly thinking "He's a sensitive nerd in a himbo's body; beat still my heart!"
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Arguably, the more intriguing twist this show has on the "identity Debate" is that the "real" personality is a genuine, dorky dweeb, and that even at his most assertive and "masked," this Superman is still charmingly awkward and nerdy.

The conventional portrayal, while never really having him be a jerk (outside of both the covers and "fridge logic" analysis of the Super-Dickery formula), tended more towards the "real" personality being a traditionally "masculine" one; Golden Age Clark, Silver Age superman, and Prost-Crisis Clark were compassionate but usually "macho."

The MAWS version isn't the first to have more dork traits (DCAU Superman could pull them out at times, and the Superman and Lois version is pretty well rounded in that area), but he is the first to have them emphasized just not as a character trait, but as the seeming main attractive feature to this Lois.

MWAS Lois is clearly thinking "He's a sensitive nerd in a himbo's body; beat still my heart!"
    I dunno about "macho" but this Clark is decidedly pretty much just Clark Kent 100%.

He was raised by the Kents, barely trained with or mastered his powers, has no knowledge about his background, and didn't even set out to be a Superhero until it happened by chance, so he didn't really construct the identity like a lot of other Clarks did and is kind of making it up as he goes along.

I think the one thing both he and the shows' version of Lois have in common is having more insecurities and, despite being in their 20's, still figuring out the whole "adult" thing.

I really dig this show. Although I'm not big on their Mxyzptlk. Nothing about tricking him into saying his name backwards? At least he advanced the larger plot.

The Clark/Lois/Jimmy trio is great, and it's an interesting twist that Cat, Steve, and Ron are the star reporters. And even Vicki Vale is far above Lois. I'd like to see them interact more with Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    8) I only know Monsieur Mallah and The Brain from the underrated #TeenTitansGo cartoon.

They still have wonderful comedic value as a duo, and here the LGBTQ vibes are more front and center since Mallah can talk and there's no glossing over their relationship here. Hope to see them again down the road.
    You should check out their appearances on Doom Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think the trick to TV shows about Superman is, usually, how important a well-written Lois is to the show, as creators will instinctively make Clark more “real” when interacting with her if she’s either a serious reporter or a serious love interest; the more she’s someone the story wants to poke fun at or the less tension between her and Clark matters, the more alien Clark gets.
    It's interesting to note that every post-Noel Neill live action TV Lois eventually finds out Superman is Clark and that this is the first animated series to have Lois know (although she does know in a few of the DTVs). Lois can always have a bigger role if she knows that Superman is Clark. There's a lot of potential for the Lois in this show.

Thoughts on the #MyAdventuresWithSuperman #MAWS s1e09 "Zero Day - Part 2". Spoilers follow ....

1. You Will Believe A Man Can ... Cry.

I've seen Clark cry before.

Usually over Pa Kent's death, or Ma Kent's death, or Lois Lane's death, or Kara Zor-El's death, or somebody else's death (that all usually gets reversed at some point in the future). The point is, I've seen Clark cry out of grief.

I've never seen him cry out of despair before.

And yet here is Clark: captured, shackled, tortured, powerless under those red sun radiation lights, being shown Zero Day footage from 22 years ago, and being told his true purpose is to be a weapon of mass destruction ... which "confirms" Clark's deepest fear about himself.

At this lowest point of his life so far, Clark weeps at the proof of his "truth". The whole scene is actually kinda moving.

I think the MAWS Clark Kent is the most emotionally vulnerable Superman ever shown so far.

2. That Zero Day flashback confused me.

Were Kryptonians (presumably under Zod?) attempting to invade Earth .... at about the same time that baby Kal-El was rocketed to Earth?

I recognize the Brainiac insignia on one of the robots, so maybe that caped figure was Brainiac? Or maybe both are involved?

What suddenly stopped their invasion?

3. Ivo as the Parasite isn't the most compelling take on the character, but it's definitely the most striking.

I did like that the more power he drew on, the bigger and more kaiju-like his exosuit became.

I liked how Lois and Jimmy rallied enough of the city via social media into shutting off all their power to weaken the Parasite.

And then Clark gains a new power (X-Ray vision) and tears Ivo right out of the Parasite armor's "heart". That right there was badass!

4. Clois forever.

No more will-they / won't they vibes from here on in. Cuz that was some very dangerously PDA, y'all. Lois will be real lucky not to get tagged as "Superman's Girlfriend" after this. Remember you have a secret identity, Clark!

5. Sam Lane starts on the journey from outright villain to something more sympathetic here.

He clearly was touched on some level by Clark's despairing reaction to the Zero Day footage and began to consider that he was wrong (something villains never do).

Something tells me he and Lois are going to meet in the big season finale next week. And it's not going to be an easy conversation.

Bonus: I really don't like it when Clark learns of his Kryptonian origin from anyone other than his bio-parents Jor-El or Lara Lor-Van (or rather their posthumous A.I. counterparts). Keeps him too confused for too long.

Bottom line: I enjoyed this episode. Good writing, noticeable character development, plot was moved forward, everyone got to shine a bit.

Grade (of enjoyment): 8/10

This show continues to impress me. I'm wondering if there's some weird traveling-from-another-Earth shenanigans going with Superman's origin and the other Kryptonians on Zero Day.

1. You Will Believe A Man Can ... Cry.

I've seen Clark cry before.

Usually over Pa Kent's death, or Ma Kent's death, or Lois Lane's death, or Kara Zor-El's death, or somebody else's death (that all usually gets reversed at some point in the future). The point is, I've seen Clark cry out of grief.

I've never seen him cry out of despair before.

And yet here is Clark: captured, shackled, tortured, powerless under those red sun radiation lights, being shown Zero Day footage from 22 years ago, and being told his true purpose is to be a weapon of mass destruction ... which "confirms" Clark's deepest fear about himself.

At this lowest point of his life so far, Clark weeps at the proof of his "truth". The whole scene is actually kinda moving.

I think the MAWS Clark Kent is the most emotionally vulnerable Superman ever shown so far.
    He kind of reminds me of Barry Allen from the Flash show. Emotional vulnerability seems to be all the rage, and I think it works for this version of Superman.

4. Clois forever.

No more will-they / won't they vibes from here on in. Cuz that was some very dangerously PDA, y'all. Lois will be real lucky not to get tagged as "Superman's Girlfriend" after this. Remember you have a secret identity, Clark!
    They certainly moved things quickly! I like it. Poor Jimmy may end up feeling like a third wheel, though.

It's funny seeing Clark have an Iron Giant existential crisis here, considering Superman comics inspired the Iron Giant to be a hero rather than a weapon.

My impression of Amanda Waller on the show is well she's Amanda Waller. She's in line of what I expect from her character.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    My impression of Amanda Waller on the show is well she's Amanda Waller. She's in line of what I expect from her character.
    Unless you read the original Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander and Kim Yale...