Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Unless you read the original Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander and Kim Yale...
    What is, is not always what was...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Exactly.

When adapting characters to other media, creatives should obviously pay tribute to what's come before, but not necessarily be beholden to it. If a viewer wants John Ostrander and Kim Yale's Amanda Waller, they should read the John Ostrander and Kim Yale run of Suicide Squad. Expecting that exact same version by anyone else is simply setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 08-31-2023 at 12:29 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Exactly.

When adapting characters to other media, creatives should obviously pay tribute to what's come before, but not necessarily be beholden to it. If a viewer wants John Ostrander and Kim Yale's Amanda Waller, they should read the John Ostrander and Kim Yale run of Suicide Squad. Expecting that exact same version by anyone else is simply setting yourself up for disappointment.
    One of the most frustrating opinions I remember dealing with during discussion of the 2017 Ducktales reboot were the outspoken minority of people who believed that certain elements of Carl Bark's original vision shouldn't be modified even in the case of a reboot that is clearly its own continuity. Like they would express anger at the fact that Huey, Dewey, and Louie had distinct personalities and traits because them being the shared triplet voice was some sacred element or some bullshit. Let a different continuity play around a bit.

Poor Jor-El. Clark finally visits him just to write him and his entire culture off as invaders.

Still keeping secrets even after promising not to? How very CW.

The irony that Lois finally reaches out to her dad so they can reconnect and he can meet Clark...for Thanksgiving...knowing this will be the moment when they all finally meet and find out the truth.

The trio are finally full-fledged reporters! With their own cubicles, even! Now Lois just needs to get a pullitzer and we're golden!

Figures they'd have to figure out something to do with Jimmy and Flamebird...and he sells it to the Planet and strikes it rich like the Matt Fraction Jimmy Olsen comics.

Cat Grant isn't a love interest for Clark here, but she still steals a kiss from his cheek!

I love how Martha just adores Lois. Considering Lois' mom is gone, Martha might fulfill a mother figure for her.

I see General Lane's less-than-sunny disposition extends beyond Kryptonians. Zero Day really did a big number on him. No wonder it's so hard for him and Lois to communicate.

Poor Jimmy stuck as the guy everyone opens up to about their problems...except Sam, who has no idea who he is.

They were really dumb enough to leave the device in the bag, huh? They should've just left it in Lois' apartment or something.

That girl in the picture with young Clark was totally Lana, right?

So Kryptonite effects Kryptonian tech too? How...convenient. I actually wonder what the explanation for Kryptonite is here becuase it doesn't just effect Clark biologically, it makes crystals sprout out of him and the Brainiac drones.

I didn't really need to see Clark need saving in the season finale of his own show (Super Breath and Freeze Breath would've been really useful) but I guess we got Clark stopping the ship and fighting with his dad for the first time, so there's that.

Still, poor Jor-El. Clark still doesn't know the truth, still doesn't understand him, and with the ship blowing up he might not learn the truth about his people or Krypton for a while. Unless that piece of the ship that was cut by the portal has another Jor-El AI. Also he has to rocket his son to safety for a second time.

So Sam gave up on hunting down Superman for his daughter, but probably still doesn't fully trust him, and still doesn't know he's her boyfriend. I'm betting there'll be more Sam Lane family intrigue with Task Force X in the middle in season 2.

Wow, that's...a very elaborate cranium on Brainiac. It's weird seeing him without any green or just full robot without any real human features.

"They will kneel" - I know they're trying to fool people into thinking that's Zod, but if you read the credits the "Kryptonian Warrior" was voiced by Kari Wahlgren. spoilers:
    That's AI Lara. Kari Wahlgren is voicing both of Superman's moms. Apparently she got beefier in 22 years.
    end of spoilers

Aw, the credits now have a picture of Clark and Lois looking longingly at each other and the whole family together with Clark in his suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Exactly.

I mean, there's been an annoying trend on just doubling down on Amanda Waller as this hardcore non-compromising, practically straight up evil military type which feels like it misses the point of the character and what she's supposed to be so they can just use her basically as a the standard government villain for DCU stories.

JLU was probably the closest to capturing Amanda Waller as she was intended to be portrayed.

Astonishing Member

Great show, good episode. Don't need to nitpick. Best Lois, Jimmy, Clark interaction for quite awhile. So Kryptonite works differently, it was effective. If it were a movie, it would have beaten the latest DCU flics hands down.

Unless you read the original Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander and Kim Yale...

Never read the the original Suicide Squad run. Watched the Justice League animated series , the DC animated movies, and the first Suicide Squad movie.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Thoughts on the #MyAdventuresWithSuperman #MAWS s1e10 "Hearts Of The Fathers". Spoilers follow ...

1. We've made it to the end of the first season of MAWS.

Going to talk about this episode and the Season as a whole here. Suffice to say, big fan of both. Will also speculate about Season 2 a bit here.

2. It's Thanksgiving at the Kent Farm ... and guess who's coming to dinner?

This might be record time for Lois meeting Martha and Jonathan with the Secret already known between the three of them. MAWS is making it clear that Clois is their OTP from the start. No room for any challengers here, which is both good and bad (more later).

3. Absolutely record time for Sam Lane to meet Martha and Jonathan and Clark (in his human guise).

Speaking of which: with that grilling Sam gave Clark about looking familiar, MAWS is making my point that no one who spends any significant time with this Kal in both his Clark and Superman personas is going to remain fooled by the paper-thin disguise for long.

4. I like my robots and mech armor to have visible faces or at least give facial expressions.

Just a personal preference, but I get the idea is to keep the Kryptonian robots (and armored beings) as inhuman-looking as possible, but after a while it becomes hard to remember who is who without a face.

5. So the presence of that little sliver of Kryptonite triggered the (what I presume is the future Fortress of Solitude) alien ship into activating its hailing beacon to the much bigger Kryptonian flagship ... which brings up a lot of questions, mainly: what kind of Kryptonians are these?

6. Major props to MAWS' creators for actually developing a real Kryptonese language and not having the Jor-El A.I. already knowing how to speak English.

According to a recent interview that supermanhomepage.com did with MAWS showrunner Josephine Campbell, their Kryptonese is mainly Esperanto mixed with a bunch of other languages like Spanish and Korean and others.

I hope this gets adopted across all Super media and we one day get fans at conventions speaking Kryptonese as well as they do Klingon or Dothraki.

7. About that ending: I watched with CC on, and it confirmed the first being was a rather servile-sounding Brainiac speaking to its master Zod.

I don't know how I feel about that, if true. I'm really tired of Zod in general, and I really want Brainiac to get an awesome showcase as a top-tier supervillain on this show. Also, not crazy about these designs (especially the lack of faces on both of them ... but that can change in the future).

8. Jimmy Olsen, millionaire.

I'll say it right now: MAWS Jimmy is already the 🐐 onscreen Jimmy Olsen, and has a real great shot to be the best version of the character in ANY medium, including print.

He knew the secret before he was told the secret. He is the most genuine edition of Superman's Pal I've ever seen. Glad he's getting paid for his Flamebird app.

9. I hope Jor-El speaking English at the end of the episode as he saves his son's life means that Clark will learn the full truth about his origin very soon, or at least lose the notion that his father wanted him to be a weapon.

10. First Hopes for Season 2: more confidence for Clark, more success for Lois, more focus on Jimmy, more of the Super Rogues (top of the list: MAWS versions of Lady Blaze, Maxima, Metallo, Bizarro, Mongul, Manchester Black, Nuclear Man), more of the SuperFam (top of the list: John Henry Irons, Lana Lang, Krypto).

Bonus: I'm afraid Alex is still going to turn into MAWS Lex Luthor sometime next season. But now I have faith this show will do it in a compelling fashion.

Bottom Line: I love this show. It's a fountain of youth for an 85-year-old character and makes him more relevant to lots of people who otherwise weren't fans before. Lots of setup this season now gotten out of the way, I really look forward to what they can do with season 2.

Grade of Enjoyment (episode 10): 8.5 / 10

Grade of Enjoyment (season): 8.5 / 10

Extraordinary Member

I mean, there's been an annoying trend on just doubling down on Amanda Waller as this hardcore non-compromising, practically straight up evil military type which feels like it misses the point of the character and what she's supposed to be so they can just use her basically as a the standard government villain for DCU stories.

JLU was probably the closest to capturing Amanda Waller as she was intended to be portrayed.
    Fair enough. But at the same time, this isn't the JLU. If you want the JLU's version of Amanda Waller, watch JLU. This is My Adventures with Superman.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Fair enough. But at the same time, this isn't the JLU. If you want the JLU's version of Amanda Waller, watch JLU. This is My Adventures with Superman.
    I get that. I just feel like as a character there's more to Waller than what they usually reduce her to in adaptions.

Extraordinary Member

I get that. I just feel like as a character there's more to Waller than what they usually reduce her to in adaptions.
    I mean, not every adaptation is going to be everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I hated Arrow's version, but loved Smallville's (probably in no small part due to Pam Grier playing her as I could see most any of her '70s roles being a backstory for Waller). In the same vein, I hated Smallville's yet absolutely LOVED My Adventures with Superman's version (it's literally the only version that makes sense to me now and I'm wondering why he hasn't always been portrayed like this). You just can't expect to be pleased with everything that comes out.

I mean, not every adaptation is going to be everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I hated Arrow's version, but loved Smallville's (probably in no small part due to Pam Grier playing her as I could see most any of her '70s roles being a backstory for Waller). In the same vein, I hated Smallville's yet absolutely LOVED My Adventures with Superman's version (it's literally the only version that makes sense to me now and I'm wondering why he hasn't always been portrayed like this). You just can't expect to be pleased with everything that comes out.
    It just feels kind of repetitive in the past few media adaptions and continuing a negative impression of Waller as a character.

Extraordinary Member

It just feels kind of repetitive in the past few media adaptions and continuing a negative impression of Waller as a character.
    I mean, you either accept these interpretations or you don't. Their version of Deathstroke was vastly different than any I had seen in the past, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the series overall.

Mxy pretty much spelled out that this is just one in a vast multiverse of interpretations of these characters.

I mean, you either accept these interpretations or you don't. Their version of Deathstroke was vastly different than any I had seen in the past, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the series overall.

Mxy pretty much spelled out that this is just one in a vast multiverse of interpretations of these characters.
    I don't think they really justified using Deathstroke in this show, but a lot of villains and their revamps were pretty underwhelming outside, as you mentioned, Mxy and also Parasite.

Incredible Member

Waller was pretty much the same in JLU as any other show.

The only time she was somewhat different was the Batman Beyond/Batman genetic episode in the far future when she was old. No reason to be hardcore when that part of your life is well behind you.

I do think Viola Davis makes the live-action character more unlikable than any other version I've seen though.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Waller was pretty much the same in JLU as any other show.

The only time she was somewhat different was the Batman Beyond/Batman genetic episode in the far future when she was old. No reason to be hardcore when that part of your life is well behind you.

I do think Viola Davis makes the live-action character more unlikable than any other version I've seen though.
    I feel like in JLU you could see where she was coming from and she still had a bit of a soft side, and she came through in the end, which you don't really get anymore.