Page 112 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1903
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Yeah, I get being meh about it because the franchise hasn’t proven its salt (that’s the boat I’m in) but I think the western thing is fun. Don’t get why people are so quick to jump on it.

Reminds me of Trinity/the upcoming run, everyone immediately assuming it’ll all suck before the first issue’s even out.
    The constant complaining and negativity is an entire drag. But honestly, Wonder Woman fans/readers have sort of been conditioned to expect the worst when it comes to the publication and representation of Wonder Woman in mass media. Mostly because it's rather palpable how the executives at DC/WB minimize Wonder Woman's cultural importance at best and regard her in downright misogynistic/sexist/dismissive ways at worst. When we do get the occasional presentation that we can root for, we still approach it hesitantly because we feel like there's always another shoe that's going to soon drop. I'm thinking, for example, of the Wonder Woman film, which was mostly good, followed by WW84, which was mostly awful.

To be honest, in terms of film/TV, there hasn't been anything that's surpassed this as far as I'm concerned:

That's the bar for film and TV for me. And the bar, for me, for literature is Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons, which won't even depict Wonder Woman. But I can extrapolate because of how seriously the series approaches the mythos and the strong progressively feminist perspective that grounds it.

Last edited by HotBoy; 06-07-2023 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I gotta say the intense negativity kinda gives me the impressive that even if WW were to get a show, it would still get hate because the expectations have reached a totally unrealistic point

Like I'm not even that interested in Warworld but I find the derision for Diana just because she's in a Western kinda excessive
    This forum is rarely/never happy. Not just Wondy fans are guilty of that, but the problem is that Diana has a bunch of irreconcilable takes on who she is. If Diana were to get an animated show you would see plenty of complaints here about how such a show adapts Diana or her cast. But then such a show should not be aimed at pleasing people here in the first place, the goal is recruiting a new generation of WW fans.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Good lord, this looks so boring. Hey, Diana in a western like that one crappy Justice League episode. 'Cause remember Justice Riders??? Remember that?????
    I'm still betting she gets her s**t wrecked by Mongul before it's over.

Asinine waste of time.

Gotta say, if they ever do give Wonder Woman her own animated series, the bar is pretty damn low.
    I mean, "Superheroes in Western's" are a classic concept. And Diana is good with a lasso...

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I gotta say the intense negativity kinda gives me the impressive that even if WW were to get a show, it would still get hate because the expectations have reached a totally unrealistic point

Like I'm not even that interested in Warworld but I find the derision for Diana just because she's in a Western kinda excessive
    Certainly something to be said for immediate negativity but all comes down to one's own experiences. I have my reservations on King's upcoming run/Trinity but as someone who largely hasn't read King's works, I find the hatedom built around him to be largely silly but maybe my opinion would be different I was a fan of Batman, Nightwing, or Wally West.

In regards to the film, I can only really base my expectations/excitement off what I've experienced before with DC Animation for WW which usually varies between indifferent like most JL films, actively bad (DCAU), and then sometimes good (BTBAB). This particular team also isn't batting a thousand, for me at least, between the JSA film and how Hal Jordan was treated in the GL film.

That said, I don't particularly think WW fandom hates everything new/coming up. There's obviously Historia but for media most reactions to the video game announcement were positive (pending how it actually turns out), and some grumbling aside the first WW film is still overall liked.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

We just had a 48hr fight over Trinity being a brunette lol.

Lets at least focus the criticism on what we saw thus far on the trailer which....was any of it that bad? Apart from her design

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Lets at least focus the criticism on what we saw thus far on the trailer which....was any of it that bad? Apart from her design
    There's a trailer?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    There's a trailer?
    For JL:war world? Yes

Fantastic Member

For JL:war world? Yes
    I was looking for it on YouTube and couldn't find it. Found it on Twitter, though.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1666155092335001612

The animation with Diana using the lasso looks pretty good. Hopefully it hasn't been de-powered like it was in JSA WWII.

The "bad" part was that the WW parts seemed generally less interesting than the Superman and Batman parts, so it's only bad in a relative sense. On their own, the scenes are fine IMO.

BTW, was there a scene in a prior Tomorrowverse film that builds up to WW's involvement in this movie? I'm not sure if I'm totally caught up, but the only thing I recall is the post-credits for the Legion movie that fills us in on Superman and Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The "bad" part was that the WW parts seemed generally less interesting than the Superman and Batman parts, so it's only bad in a relative sense. On their own, the scenes are fine IMO.

BTW, was there a scene in a prior Tomorrowverse film that builds up to WW's involvement in this movie? I'm not sure if I'm totally caught up, but the only thing I recall is the post-credits for the Legion movie that fills us in on Superman and Batman.
    She was mentioned as being on a mission with Superman in GL: Beware My Power.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The "bad" part was that the WW parts seemed generally less interesting than the Superman and Batman parts, so it's only bad in a relative sense.
    Bingo.

It just seems endemic to Warner/DC's usual approach where other characters like Superman and Batman will get the fun, innovative, challenging ideas while, when it comes to Wonder Woman, creators turn their brains off and run with the first, easiest, and cheapest idea because they can't be arsed.

I mean...the general premise of this movie appears to be each of the trinity is thrown into some genre throwback for Mongul's entertainment (X-Men's Mojo for all intents). Okay, Clark gets this sci-fi/horror War of the Worlds thing where he fights white martians. Batman is thrown into a fantasy Conan the Barbarian world to fight monsters.
    And Diana...gets thrown in the old west where she must contend with cowboys with their six-shooters.

Really? That's the best they could come up with for her?

And it's hard not to see a red flag in regard to how her powers will be portrayed. Again...Clark has to face powerful aliens. Bruce, with no powers, is stuck in a hostile world of monsters.
    Diana? Based on the trailer, her greatest challenge will be a stationary gattling-gun. Truly a test for the mighty Amazon.

As ever, it's difficult to get excited when we have what appears to be yet another example of Wonder Woman getting shoe-horned into a story that she doesn't need to be a part of, and the creator's don't give a rat's ass about her, but is included anyway because "trinity." And if her portrayal in the Justice Society movie is anything to go by...no, I don't trust this current production crew with her.

Fine, call me negative, but I'm not going to pretend to be enthused for what will be--at best, if we're lucky--the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Bingo.

It just seems endemic to Warner/DC's usual approach where other characters like Superman and Batman will get the fun, innovative, challenging ideas while, when it comes to Wonder Woman, creators turn their brains off and run with the first, easiest, and cheapest idea because they can't be arsed.

I mean...the general premise of this movie appears to be each of the trinity is thrown into some genre throwback for Mongul's entertainment (X-Men's Mojo for all intents). Okay, Clark gets this sci-fi/horror War of the Worlds thing where he fights white martians. Batman is thrown into a fantasy Conan the Barbarian world to fight monsters.
    And Diana...gets thrown in the old west where she must contend with cowboys with their six-shooters.

Really? That's the best they could come up with for her?

And it's hard not to see a red flag in regard to how her powers will be portrayed. Again...Clark has to face powerful aliens. Bruce, with no powers, is stuck in a hostile world of monsters.
    Diana? Based on the trailer, her greatest challenge will be a stationary gattling-gun. Truly a test for the mighty Amazon.

As ever, it's difficult to get excited when we have what appears to be yet another example of Wonder Woman getting shoe-horned into a story that she doesn't need to be a part of, and the creator's don't give a rat's ass about her, but is included anyway because "trinity." And if her portrayal in the Justice Society movie is anything to go by...no, I don't trust this current production crew with her.

Fine, call me negative, but I'm not going to pretend to be enthused for what will be--at best, if we're lucky--the bare minimum.
    Personally to me a lone Amazon entering into a Old West town and liberating it from a bunch of baddies with her power, resilience, skills, and integrity sounds like a good fit for Wonder Woman and the animation in the scenes we've got looked pretty good.

I feel like you could've switched around all the Trinity in each others' stories and it would've fit but we don't get Western Diana that much. Special Agent Diana Prince we've seen before, sword and fantasy seems typical. I guess I can see the complaint that she's not fighting anything that's Superhero level threat but we haven't seen all that her segment entails and the stuff we do see her doing looks cool to me.

As far as whether she's being shoe-horned in...I mean, you can dislike the Trinity as a concept, but if that's what the movie is about then it's to be expected Diana would be in it. And it seems like the segment is portraying her as a powerful, inspirational, and capable figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally to me a lone Amazon entering into a Old West town and liberating it from a bunch of baddies with her power, resilience, skills, and integrity sounds like a good fit for Wonder Woman and the animation in the scenes we've got looked pretty good.
    Yeah, while I stand by saying the trailer is comparatively uninteresting for WW, we simply have no idea who her enemy and challenge would be. It's possible that the unknown villain will be pretty out of this world.

I also wonder if it's going to pull any inspiration from Justice Riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like you could've switched around all the Trinity in each others' stories and it would've fit but we don't get Western Diana that much. Special Agent Diana Prince we've seen before, sword and fantasy seems typical.
    Who said I think she should swap with one of the other guys? By all means, keep Clark in War of the Worlds and keep Bruce in Conan.

There are dozens of other, more interesting things they could've done with Diana. Put her in Terminator where has to fight an army of robots. Throw her in a slasher movie where she has to face an invincible Jason Voorhees type. Use Solomon Grundy for that. Have her in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max world where she's dealing with legions of mutant bikers. Put her in a thinly-veiled Mortal Kombat where she has to compete in a demonic martial arts tournament.

Instead we get this boring, half-assed Justice Riders throwback because...lasso, I guess. That probably was the extent of the creators' thought process.