Page 82 of 125 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1875

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, a lot of Superman fans had just as many complaints about his depiction on the show, too.
    I'm sure they did. Are you going to tell them there complaints are invalid as well?

Ha! I know you aren't new here, Frontier, but I would definitely ask a poster I wasn't familiar with "are you new here?" this question had they posted it. LOL
    Honest question, why do you bother with these conversations when you clearly don't like them?

"not everything is feats contest" or some variation is kind of a disingenuous argument when discussing an action focused story where the male characters tend to be awarded feats more than female ones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    With how much we all debate when and why Diana should use a sword or not, I find it funny one of the few instances where a sword would actually be necessary and come in handy...the bockety piece of crap shatters. Thanks for nothing.

You know, there actually should be stories/scenes built around the idea Diana relying on a sword and shield hinders her more than helps her. Like a fight sequence where the villain easily cuts the shield in half or breaks the sword, but the bracelets and Lasso withstand the attacks no problem.
    In fairness, we've seen the lasso break, be evaded or be rendered useless how many times now? It isn't like her standard equipment hasn't also been nerfed or weakened for convenience. If Diana were just using her lasso in that movie, it would either be ignored or broken like what Bizarro did to it in Trinity. The sword isn't the cause of Diana's issues, it's usage in certain moments is more a symptom.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-30-2022 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    With how much we all debate when and why Diana should use a sword or not, I find it funny one of the few instances where a sword would actually be necessary and come in handy...the bockety piece of crap shatters. Thanks for nothing.

You know, there actually should be stories/scenes built around the idea Diana relying on a sword and shield hinders her more than helps her. Like a fight sequence where the villain easily cuts the shield in half or breaks the sword, but the bracelets and Lasso withstand the attacks no problem.
    Personally think all her equipment should be Hephestus forged and indestructible, but that's just me. I like the sword and shield being reserved for the "some monsters just need to die" type scenarios. But yeah, everything about that fight was just bs after bs decisions, like how stupid could they make her in the moment.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm sure they did. Are you going to tell them there complaints are invalid as well?

Honest question, why do you bother with these conversations when you clearly don't like them?

"not everything is feats contest" or some variation is kind of a disingenuous argument when discussing an action focused story where the male characters tend to be awarded feats more than female ones do.

In fairness, we've seen the lasso break, be evaded or be rendered useless how many times now? It isn't like her standard equipment hasn't also been nerfed or weakened for convenience. If Diana were just using her lasso in that movie, it would either be ignored or broken like what Bizarro did to it in Trinity. The sword isn't the cause of Diana's issues, it's usage in certain moments is more a symptom.
    Quoted for truth

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Personally think all her equipment should be Hephestus forged and indestructible, but that's just me. I like the sword and shield being reserved for the "some monsters just need to die" type scenarios. But yeah, everything about that fight was just bs after bs decisions, like how stupid could they make her in the moment.
    In agreement with you here. As far as her lasso, it seems a very easily avoidable snare to most (plot device from author), or even when bound the person still finds a way to fight off the effects of the lasso and still fight while bound. I have a feeling that most writers think it is a 'I win situation' when bound so they nerf the effects by letting them fight while bound or just plainly fight off the effects of the lasso.

I am beginning to think there are just not that many good writers anymore because of the apparent nerfing they do to get around stuff like the lasso or indestructible objects like her sword (easily broken) or bracelets (also shown to break).

Maybe the writers need to polish up on definitions for words like indestructible.

I think the lasso and bracelets should be largely unbreakable. They have enchantments or similar qualities on them, so only some really high-level being would be able to break them. I think Waid and Ross popularized the sword, and Waid's The Kingdom featured the sword breaking, so I don't feel like the sword should be particularly unbreakable. The sword's most salient feature is that it can slice electrons off an atom (if that even makes sense; not a physicist here), so I think the movie should've shown it at least cut Doomsday.

I was thinking about how The Force Awakens tried to make it a point that when Rey fought Kylo, Kylo was already in a weakened state from absorbing a blast from Chewie's bowcaster. The movie made a big point about how powerful that weapon was, and Kylo took a direct hit from it and was shown bleeding. Still, I think this point gets lost to a lot of the audience, mostly because Kylo doesn't show the ill-effects of being wounded by the time of the final fight, but IMO it's a significant contributor to why he lost. I think it would've made the animated movie better if at least WW got to wound Doomsday and slowed him down just enough for Superman's kamikaze attack to work. There could've been a short exchange, like WW saying, "The monster's wounded. He's vulnerable, but if you hold back at all he'll kill you." But in general, these types of movies and TV shows are generally pretty bad at that kind of nuance when showing a string of heroes taking turns to defeat one villain.

At least the movie had fantastic meta in showing how Superman eventually killed Doomsday (broken neck, hahahahahaha).

We have Cassie making an appearance in Supersons

0683FAAE-81E7-4A74-BFDD-1DE5E84E3084.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think the lasso and bracelets should be largely unbreakable. They have enchantments or similar qualities on them, so only some really high-level being would be able to break them. I think Waid and Ross popularized the sword, and Waid's The Kingdom featured the sword breaking, so I don't feel like the sword should be particularly unbreakable. The sword's most salient feature is that it can slice electrons off an atom (if that even makes sense; not a physicist here), so I think the movie should've shown it at least cut Doomsday.

I was thinking about how The Force Awakens tried to make it a point that when Rey fought Kylo, Kylo was already in a weakened state from absorbing a blast from Chewie's bowcaster. The movie made a big point about how powerful that weapon was, and Kylo took a direct hit from it and was shown bleeding. Still, I think this point gets lost to a lot of the audience, mostly because Kylo doesn't show the ill-effects of being wounded by the time of the final fight, but IMO it's a significant contributor to why he lost. I think it would've made the animated movie better if at least WW got to wound Doomsday and slowed him down just enough for Superman's kamikaze attack to work. There could've been a short exchange, like WW saying, "The monster's wounded. He's vulnerable, but if you hold back at all he'll kill you." But in general, these types of movies and TV shows are generally pretty bad at that kind of nuance when showing a string of heroes taking turns to defeat one villain.
    Maybe Doomsday just isn't the best character to use that for since any experienced superpowered hero should be able to handle him.
    At least the movie had fantastic meta in showing how Superman eventually killed Doomsday (broken neck, hahahahahaha).
    I think you might be reading too much into that.

I think you might be reading too much into that.
    You may be right and it's just one big coincidence. Still, I got a good belly laugh out of it after all the hand wringing about Man of Steel and broken necks, so much so that I don't think it's a coincidence.

Doomsday's primary place in history is being the thing that killed Superman, but secondarily it's that Superman actually snatched a stalemate from the jaws of defeat. The cost of stopping Doomsday's rampage was Superman's death. I think it could be recontextualized that others made it possible for Superman to get the double KO.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 06-30-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

Does her hair look a bit off or is it just me?

CGI hair syndrome.

What do you mean by off?

What do you mean by off?
    It's like bumped up in the back... looks like this

Guess I mean its looks really out of style for Cassie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

Each of Cassie's eyes are lookign at different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    You may be right and it's just one big coincidence. Still, I got a good belly laugh out of it after all the hand wringing about Man of Steel and broken necks, so much so that I don't think it's a coincidence.

Doomsday's primary place in history is being the thing that killed Superman, but secondarily it's that Superman actually snatched a stalemate from the jaws of defeat. The cost of stopping Doomsday's rampage was Superman's death. I think it could be recontextualized that others made it possible for Superman to get the double KO.
    Why do we keep saying this? It's patently false with respect to the animated movie. Unless I am remembering the movie wrong, he goes into a state of hibernation to get his energy back. He was never dead, but Doomsday is.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Why do we keep saying this? It's patently false with respect to the animated movie. Unless I am remembering the movie wrong, he goes into a state of hibernation to get his energy back. He was never dead, but Doomsday is.
    That's fair. Superman's "death" is really a wonky concept and not truly synonymous with death as we know it. I'd have to rewatch Reign (which I'd rather not do) to remember exactly how Superman comes back from the dead, but the way you describe it is probably right.