Page 115 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1904

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I never saw this film. And I suppose it was okay to show her as that powerful since Superman was an evil Nazi. But in the main continuity of these films, I've never seen Diana portrayed as that powerful.
    He's a Soviet, not a Nazi. And he's not really evil in it - he's just seriously misguided. But interestingly Red Son is also the only iteration outside of comics where Diana openly states that she's queer. Overall it's probably my favorite animated adaptation of her, which is surprising considering how poorly she was handled in the source material.

Though if we're talking about representation of Diana's power outside of comics, you have to give a shout to that iconic JLU cage fight. It's the DCAU where everything is scaled to "Batman can always save the day" levels (and I really don't mind DCAU power scaling as long as everyone is equally nerfed), but hard to argue that she's portrayed as anything other than outrageously powerful.

Yeah, Red Son and TBATB Wondy's appearances are probably the best uses of Wonder Woman in animation.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Amusingly there is the Mastermen universe which features evil Nazi versions of the League

The Wonder Woman analogue is Brunhilde

Which begs a lot of questions for this universe such as its state of the Amazon's and how exactly a Greek themed character is instead Norse themed hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Which begs a lot of questions for this universe such as its state of the Amazon's and how exactly a Greek themed character is instead Norse themed hers.
    Easy, in the parallel universe, Greece is in the Scandinavia and the Nordic people lived on the Mediterranean coast.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I have a ridiculous, tinfoil hat conspiracy theory on why she's specifically queer in Red Son, but I don't want anyone to come at me.

There is a valid argument against the cage fight. Basically, some of the people she's fighting (especially Canary and Huntress) never stood a chance against her, so if you are totally unimpressed by stuff like the 2017 movie then the cage fight isn't going to do a lot more for you. But, there is one particular scene that I do like. Hawkgirl's mace was so OP in that show that it's totally hilarious when Wonder Woman catches the mace swing by the spiky end.

Hmmm, seems like animated WW's two best feats might be catching attacks with her bare hands.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 06-09-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I never saw this film. And I suppose it was okay to show her as that powerful since Superman was an evil Nazi. But in the main continuity of these films, I've never seen Diana portrayed as that powerful.
    But she should be portrayed as that powerful. I've always liked the idea of Diana being the "weapon" you call in should Superman ever go rogue/evil/etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    But she should be portrayed as that powerful. I've always liked the idea of Diana being the "weapon" you call in should Superman ever go rogue/evil/etc...
    Same. she shouldn't be the only one since Martian Manhunter exists, but she's number 1.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    To clarify the context of the conversation: my point was that Diana should be portrayed as that powerful.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

He's a Soviet, not a Nazi. And he's not really evil in it - he's just seriously misguided. But interestingly Red Son is also the only iteration outside of comics where Diana openly states that she's queer. Overall it's probably my favorite animated adaptation of her, which is surprising considering how poorly she was handled in the source material.

Though if we're talking about representation of Diana's power outside of comics, you have to give a shout to that iconic JLU cage fight. It's the DCAU where everything is scaled to "Batman can always save the day" levels (and I really don't mind DCAU power scaling as long as everyone is equally nerfed), but hard to argue that she's portrayed as anything other than outrageously powerful.

That episode of JL cartoon had the same issue as DCEU version of WW. She looks powerful while fighting people far below her strength class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Amusingly there is the Mastermen universe which features evil Nazi versions of the League

The Wonder Woman analogue is Brunhilde

Wow, this is really giving me vibes of Marvel Comics Brunhilde the Valkyrie!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I have a ridiculous, tinfoil hat conspiracy theory on why she's specifically queer in Red Son, but I don't want anyone to come at me.
    Curious to know what you think but I think it's pretty obvious...someone involved in production clearly didn't like how Diana was portrayed in the GN, which is why they changed her entire arc to give her more agency. That includes making her a lesbian so her motivations aren't driven by her feelings for Superman, but IMO the biggest tell was the decision to restore her powers at the end (which didn't happen in the GN).

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    There is a valid argument against the cage fight. Basically, some of the people she's fighting (especially Canary and Huntress) never stood a chance against her, so if you are totally unimpressed by stuff like the 2017 movie then the cage fight isn't going to do a lot more for you. But, there is one particular scene that I do like. Hawkgirl's mace was so OP in that show that it's totally hilarious when Wonder Woman catches the mace swing by the spiky end.

Hmmm, seems like animated WW's two best feats might be catching attacks with her bare hands.
    Again, I'm looking at it in the context of the DCAU, where every powered character was scaled way down. Superman got hurt by normal human weapons all the time, Flash had moments where he struggled to keep up with cars, and Martian Manhunter famously got his ass whooped at the beginning of every fight. Plus in the cage match Canary and Huntress immediately run away because they know they're useless in the fight.

Idk, she had a few lousy showings and it's weird that her lasso didn't get its truth powers until like 2 seasons in, but overall I think JL/JLU did a pretty good job with WW's power set. Too bad I can't say the same about her characterization and lore...

Fantastic Member

I remember that episode of JL. And I was like: It’s wild how they have Diana fighting all these women who aren’t anywhere near her level of strength (Vixen comes closest and she’s not close at all). I would have really been impressed if they had her battle Supergirl too.

And there was also that episode where she fought Superman to a stand still (he stopped fighting as hard once he discovered the monster he was fighting was really Diana).

They never shy away from displaying Diana’s prowess in battle. But in terms of feats of physical strength, she never really lifts anything bigger than a tank with ease. She seems to struggle with anything bigger than that. Which is annoying to me because her strength is supposed to rival Superman’s.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 06-09-2023 at 05:59 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    That episode of JL cartoon had the same issue as DCEU version of WW. She looks powerful while fighting people far below her strength class.
    Very true. I don't get why so many people seem to be having trouble understanding this. It's like pitting a guy against some kids and claiming that he looks "outrageously powerful" because he can throw kids around.

BUT...

I apologize, I know I'll get hated for this, but I actually think the trailer looks pretty good.

Her regular costume looks amazing (so glad they ditched the stupid "armour" look), her Western attire looks great too, no sword and shield, actually using her lasso and best of all:

"She's an angel. Come to save us."

Someone actually remembers that WW is meant to be defined by her compassion and her emphasis should always be on protecting/saving people, not just punching things.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep
    Too bad I can't say the same about her characterization and lore...
    No argument there.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 06-09-2023 at 06:01 PM.

I remember that episode of JL. And I was like: It’s wild how they have Diana fighting all these women who aren’t anywhere near her level of strength (Vixen comes closest and she’s not close at all). I would have really been impressed if they had her battle Supergirl too.

And there was also that episode where she fought Superman to a stand still (he stopped fighting as hard once he discovered the monster he was fighting was really Diana).

They never shy away from displaying Diana’s prowess in battle. But in terms of feats of physical strength, she never really lifts anything bigger than a tank with ease. She seems to struggle with anything bigger than that. Which is annoying to me because her strength is supposed to rival Superman’s.
    Yeah, Guy_McNights pointed out how a lot of the BTS folks of JL/JLU liked to brag whenever there was fight on the show WW was hitting the hardest but noted how that’s really all there is to say on DCAU Diana because, other than making her simp for Bruce (Timm) Wayne, they really didn’t do anything of substance with her or her lore that WW particularly good.

And you can see that legacy carry on to this day in DC Animated stuff. It’s why I joked I expected there to be the “Obligatory Cool Wonder Woman Fight Scene” would be Diana’s only meaningful contribution in War World because that’s pretty much all they do with her in these films; Crisis on Two Earths, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, JL War, Death of Superman, etc

Again, I'm looking at it in the context of the DCAU, where every powered character was scaled way down. Superman got hurt by normal human weapons all the time, Flash had moments where he struggled to keep up with cars, and Martian Manhunter famously got his ass whooped at the beginning of every fight. Plus in the cage match Canary and Huntress immediately run away because they know they're useless in the fight.

Idk, she had a few lousy showings and it's weird that her lasso didn't get its truth powers until like 2 seasons in, but overall I think JL/JLU did a pretty good job with WW's power set. Too bad I can't say the same about her characterization and lore...
    I'm enjoying this conversation, so please excuse me for playing a little devil's advocate. Season 1 is just a mess when it comes to power portrayals for many or even all characters, particularly Superman and Flash. However, if you tracked their power level through the seasons, you can see an upward trajectory. There are a few points within the series in which they explain how restrained Superman and Flash are with their displays of power. But for WW, her power level pretty much plateaued other than unlocking the power of the lasso. What you saw was the extent of her abilities.