Page 38 of 126 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I don't remember x-men cartoon being bad. Arcs such as Phoenix have aged well in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah, Rucka's first run she defiantly had wisps of a southern accent. Not sure if that carried into Rebirth since we don't know her backstory, one can assume it's the same though.
    I still read her with it but I'm not sure if it was quite as on the page as in his first run.

I wonder you think we will ever get another animated movie?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Maybe they’ll do one to introduce the Earth 1 version of WW in the Tomorrowverse. Really sick of origin stories for Diana though, would rather get a “Year 2” story The Long Halloween style.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    We might get one once her next live action movie comes out. So 2024-25? But since Bloodlines sold poorly they might can all animated WW projects for the foreseeable future.

So we can conclude that there hasn't been a definitive WW adaptation?

What was wrong with Diana in the 2009 movie? She's pretty much what you should expect of a Wonder Woman take that is considered good.

It's not Diana herself. It's about how Steve was depicted as a skeevy dude and the movies whole approach to sexism is basically a giant 'not all men' sign.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    So we can conclude that there hasn't been a definitive WW adaptation?
    I mean, it's impossible for there to be a definitive take on Wonder Woman, just like there isn't one for Superman.

Wonder Woman has been written in so many different ways over the years. George Perez is the most celebrated version of Wonder Woman, but his characterization of her is very different from Marston or William Messner-Loebs, or Gail Simone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean, it's impossible for there to be a definitive take on Wonder Woman, just like there isn't one for Superman.

Wonder Woman has been written in so many different ways over the years. George Perez is the most celebrated version of Wonder Woman, but his characterization of her is very different from Marston or William Messner-Loebs, or Gail Simone.
    My perception has always been that Marston is the one that gets the most praise, with Perez a very close second.
    However, my personal favorite will always be Gail Simone's WW.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's not Diana herself. It's about how Steve was depicted as a skeevy dude and the movies whole approach to sexism is basically a giant 'not all men' sign.
    I know and agree with that criticism. I've seen two comments saying they thought Bloodlines Diana was better and was trying to figure out how.

[Redacted]
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    My perception has always been that Marston is the one that gets the most praise, with Perez a very close second.
    However, my personal favorite will always be Gail Simone's WW.
    Seems to depend on where you go but I’d say Perez has the advantage for the most part since later writers like Rucka, Jimenez, and Simone have all said how much their runs are influenced by him.

And while she doesn’t get much, when WW does get adaptions Perez’s a big part you can see where they’re pulling from if they even look at WW material.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I know and agree with that criticism. I've seen two comments saying they thought Bloodlines Diana was better and was trying to figure out how.
    Because Bloodlines didn’t have a symbol of female empowerment say, “-if you can’t even beat a girl.”

Which yah yah, I know is a silly joke, but she’s fighting the God of War to stop World War 3 and that’s the best they can come up with?

I don’t really have an issue with Diana herself in the film, it was just the plot using a sleazy version of Steve to wedge her into this position of focusing solely on gender norms and not on anything else she stands for (like world peace).
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 11-14-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Seems to depend on where you go but I’d say Perez has the advantage for the most part since later writers like Rucka, Jimenez, and Simone have all said how much their runs are influenced by him.

And while she doesn’t get much, when WW does get adaptions Perez’s a big part you can see where they’re pulling from if they even look at WW material.
    That is true, though...but it's not a surprise to me. Perez is a more "traditional" superhero story writer with a more modern sensibility, while Marston's WW was the whimsical/odd/magical/kinda "weird" type of stories that might come off as "inaccessible" to audiences weaned on a million middle-of-the-road MCU CBMs.
    In any case, I love both writers' WW, but I will always be more in love with the type of story Marston wrote.