Page 34 of 127 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

It's also a convenient excuse when she isn't written well.

"Why does Wonder Woman need her own show or animated movie? She was the leader in JSA. She's the leader in DC Superhero Girls."

"I don't like how she was portrayed here."

"Hey, whoa...it's a team. She's not the main character. She can't hog the spotlight herself."

It’s also an excuse for the lasso to not work or have her never use it.

Can’t have Diana being too useful and solving plots in 5 seconds.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 11-12-2021 at 03:57 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    It's also a convenient excuse when she isn't written well.

"Why does Wonder Woman need her own show or animated movie? She was the leader in JSA. She's the leader in DC Superhero Girls."

"I don't like how she was portrayed here."

"Hey, whoa...it's a team. She's not the main character. She can't hog the spotlight herself."
    Or how we get Haughty Warrior Woman because “everyone’s gotta fill a niche/role on a team”.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Coming up:

Revival of the old 90s X-Men cartoon
    New Spider-Man cartoon set in the MCU (this one sucks I must admit, God I’m sick of high school Spidey and of MCU Spidey)
    What-If S2
    Marvel Zombies
    I am Groot

And that’s probably only the beginning.
    I don't think this is really that much by comparison but I too am ready for a Wonder Woman animated series.

(All this talk about DC Super Hero Girls but does anyone other than me remember Marvel Rising?)

Marvel is reviving a 30 year old cartoon that aged like milk? Ok… (no disrespect on the animated X-Men cartoon but it’s very much a product of it’s time).

Also why do I feel like WB will bring back JL: Unlimited as a counter argument to X-Men. It already feels like they are testing the waters with by making it a comic.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Marvel is reviving a 30 year old cartoon that aged like milk? Ok… (no disrespect on the animated X-Men cartoon but it’s very much a product of it’s time).

Also why do I feel like WB will bring back JL: Unlimited as a counter argument to X-Men. It already feels like they are testing the waters with by making it a comic.
    I mean it's not like they've been above going back to the well on DCAU nostalgia besides comics. Look how much Conroy and Hamil have come back to voicing Bats and Joker.

The entire Injustice franchise is pretty much built on being an edgelord's version of the Justice Lord's two-parter.

Mighty Member

You know, I take Super Hero Girls as Wonder Woman's equivalent to Batman Brave and the Bold...but the problem there is that when Brave and the Bold got the OK to use Wonder Woman I feel they hit it out of the park in the 2 episodes we saw of her. She lost to Joker in Triumvirate of Terror due to a cheap trick? Superman didn't fare too well with Cheetah either and the fight between Batman and Luthor went just about as it would have went realistically. I get the with Superhero Girls they wanted to have counterparts with the recurring villains, but we only get two Wonder Woman rogues (and it's the Super Friends duo who always get SOME play), and Cheetah is used very sparingly at that. This is the PERFECT opportunity to use some of the Wonder baddies (even the sillier ones like Mouse Man or Dr. Domino)...I mean they've used Casey Krinsky yet it's too much for Zara? (Though at least we got to see Julia Kapatelis as someone Diana lives with)

Wait Diana was actually supposed to be Donna in Super Hero Girls anyway!
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 11-12-2021 at 06:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

It’s because they only trust the name to be the money maker and nothing else.

So team settings: Hell yeah! Bring her over! Maybe one or two villains while your at it and a light sprinkling of Amazons.

Solo setting: Ah…sorry, we don’t trust her world by itself to be interesting…
    sales.jpg

The bloodlines movie had WonderWoman everything, abilities, history, rouges
    and it performed the worst out of all the animated films

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know, I take Super Hero Girls as Wonder Woman's equivalent to Batman Brave and the Bold...but the problem there is that when Brave and the Bold got the OK to use Wonder Woman I feel they hit it out of the park in the 2 episodes we saw of her. She lost to Joker in Triumvirate of Terror due to a cheap trick? Superman didn't fare too well with Cheetah either and the fight between Batman and Luthor went just about as it would have went realistically. I get the with Superhero Girls they wanted to have counterparts with the recurring villains, but we only get two Wonder Woman rogues (and it's the Super Friends duo who always get SOME play), and Cheetah is used very sparingly at that. This is the PERFECT opportunity to use some of the Wonder baddies (even the sillier ones like Mouse Man or Dr. Domino)...I mean they've used Casey Krinsky yet it's too much for Zara? (Though at least we got to see Julia Kapatelis as someone Diana lives with)

Wait Diana was actually supposed to be Donna in Super Hero Girls anyway!
    Cheetah was too OP in DCSHG to be used in more episodes .

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    sales.jpg

Yeah, because that movies plot was a mess and was trying to do to much at once. Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 2 had the same problem, so this isn’t unique to Wonder Woman and those movies were also both franchises killers for that reason. And it was also trying to be a origin story on top of everything else (like we don’t know Wonder Woman origin).

And why would a movie, with a finite amount of time, be comparable to a tv show where we can fully explore these concepts without them being half baked. Her universe wasn’t the problem.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 11-12-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    sales.jpg

Because the writing and execution weren't that good.

In the meantime we have other solo projects that prove WW's potential. Like the first WW animated movie. One of the highest selling movies ever by DC. And WW 2017. Another big hit and the most acclaimed DCEU movie. So asking for more solo projects shouldn't be a problem. Superman hasn't had a hit movie in 4 decades and his comics sell around the 40k range nowadays, and they still give him more projects. Even vixen had a solo animated series and WW still doesn't have 1. There are no valid excuses at this point.

Look at the popularity of She-Ra, Ahsoka, and Korra. Diana could absolutely sustain an animated series if it was made with the same standards as TCC and MAWS. That Bloodlines was a flop is something I don’t dispute, there’s a couple reasons for that:

1. Since she’s never had an animated series the general public aren’t as knowledgeable about her stories as they are Batman and Superman. Having cartoons, live action shows, films, and in Batman’s case video games, helped make people fans of the wider mythos
    2. The latest round of animated DC movies has really struggled to sell. Even Batman doesn’t sell as well as he used to pre-Flashpoint. Part of that is budget, they used to have a decent budget for these and now they don’t
    3. Like others have said, the movie basically threw it all at the wall. It didn’t just try to adapt one popular WW story it tried to adapt a bunch. That it also didn’t use the name of a popular WW storyline to attract attention also hurt it

End of the day nobody thought WW would be only one of the DCEU Trinity to have a successful solo but she did. I wouldn’t bet against her being able to achieve success with an animated series were she given the same opportunity as the other two.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Look at the popularity of She-Ra, Ahsoka, and Korra. Diana could absolutely sustain an animated series if it was made with the same standards as TCC and MAWS. That Bloodlines was a flop is something I don’t dispute, there’s a couple reasons for that:

1. Since she’s never had an animated series the general public aren’t as knowledgeable about her stories as they are Batman and Superman. Having cartoons, live action shows, films, and in Batman’s case video games, helped make people fans of the wider mythos
    2. The latest round of animated DC movies has really struggled to sell. Even Batman doesn’t sell as well as he used to pre-Flashpoint. Part of that is budget, they used to have a decent budget for these and now they don’t
    3. Like others have said, the movie basically threw it all at the wall. It didn’t just try to adapt one popular WW story it tried to adapt a bunch. That it also didn’t use the name of a popular WW storyline to attract attention also hurt it

End of the day nobody thought WW would be only one of the DCEU Trinity to have a successful solo but she did. I wouldn’t bet against her being able to achieve success with an animated series were she given the same opportunity as the other two.
    Bloodlines was a combination of the Perez origin story, Venessa's Silver Swan origin story, an adaptation of Rucka's Wonder Woman vs Medusa story, while having Villainy Inc on top of everything else, all while trying to fit in an over-arching theme of "we all got tough mom's who's approvals are hard to come-by". It felt like someone knowing they were never going to get a chance at a Wonder Woman solo project again, so they tossed everything in and then some. And considering WB's track record I can't blame them, but honestly they should have just picked one or two of those things to focus on. (IMO it should have just focused on the Wonder Woman vs Medusa story from the comic but *shrug*)

Meanwhile, Bruce Timm gets a check to have Harley fart in the Batmobile and everyone says "oh, that was just a bad movie" not "Batman's universe can't work".
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 11-12-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Meanwhile, Bruce Timm gets a check to have Harley fart in the Batmobile and everyone says "oh, that was just a bad movie" not "Batman's universe can't work".
    One of the most aggravating things about being a DC fan is that when Batman flops people shrug their shoulders and say “hope they get it right next time” but when another franchise flops it’s not because the people making the movie/game/show f***** up, no it’s “the franchise is just too hard to adapt, it just doesn’t work”. Hearing that makes me rage.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Bloodlines was a combination of the Perez origin story, Venessa's Silver Swan origin story, an adaptation of Rucka's Wonder Woman vs Medusa story, while having Villainy Inc on top of everything else, all while trying to fit in an over-arching theme of "we all got tough mom's who's approvals are hard to come-by". It felt like someone knowing they were never going to get a chance at a Wonder Woman solo project again, so they tossed everything in and then some. And considering WB's track record I can't blame them, but honestly they should have just picked one or two of those things to focus on.

Ah, thanks. I finally forget about that movie only now those repressed memories are coming roaring back.

That and TKJ in the same year are probably what killed any goodwill I have left for Bruce Timm on animated projects. I mean when he screws up Batman...