Page 39 of 128 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    So we can conclude that there hasn't been a definitive WW adaptation?
    We can, but Superman has had many more adaptations than her and there is no single one that his fanbase agrees is definitive. So Wonder Woman ever get one either, we just need more adaptations in general.

Even BTAS isn't considered definitive by the Batman fanbase across the entire board, even though it of course comes really damn close and is probably the closest example.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Because Bloodlines didn’t have a symbol of female empowerment say, “-if you can’t even beat a girl.”

Which yah yah, I know is a silly joke, but she’s fighting the God of War to stop World War 3 and that’s the best they can come up with?

I don’t really have an issue with Diana herself in the film, it was just the plot using a sleazy version of Steve to wedge her into this position of focusing solely on gender norms and not on anything else she stands for (like world peace).
    Worse yet, it positions her as being too uptight if not outright wrong about her stance on gender and she needs to "relax" and listen to the dude who tried to get her drunk.

Fam, this movie is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    That is true, though...but it's not a surprise to me. Perez is a more "traditional" superhero story writer with a more modern sensibility, while Marston's WW was the whimsical/odd/magical/kinda "weird" type of stories that might come off as "inaccessible" to audiences weaned on a million middle-of-the-road MCU CBMs.
    In any case, I love both writers' WW, but I will always be more in love with the type of story Marston wrote.
    My ideal Wonder Woman mythos is a combo of Marston and Perez/Rucka. I think Jimenez is the only post-Crisis writer who was able to get close to doing that because of his clear affection for both eras.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    My ideal Wonder Woman mythos is a combo of Marston and Perez/Rucka. I think Jimenez is the only post-Crisis writer who was able to get close to doing that because of his clear affection for both eras.
    Steve Orlando also did a lot of worldbuilding in that area.

That is true, though...but it's not a surprise to me. Perez is a more "traditional" superhero story writer with a more modern sensibility, while Marston's WW was the whimsical/odd/magical/kinda "weird" type of stories that might come off as "inaccessible" to audiences weaned on a million middle-of-the-road MCU CBMs.
    In any case, I love both writers' WW, but I will always be more in love with the type of story Marston wrote.
    That's fair. I've always preferred Perez but I have gained more of a respect Marston's (better aged) stuff the more I learned about him.

Worse yet, it positions her as being too uptight if not outright wrong about her stance on gender and she needs to "relax" and listen to the dude who tried to get her drunk.

Fam, this movie is bad.
    “Look ladies, if a guy tries to get you drunk, maybe just stick with him anyway. Because maybe “deep down” he’s not so bad after all.” *gags*

Was there a reason she didn’t just leave him after that? I can’t remember.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Fam, this movie is bad.
    “Look ladies, if a guy tries to get you drunk, maybe just stick with him anyway. Because maybe “deep down” he’s not so bad after all.” *gags*

Was there a reason she didn’t just leave him after that? I can’t remember.
    Yeah, when I did a re-watch of the DCAU JL cartoon this something that would occasionally get brought up with DCAU Wondy also so I'm not surprised that was the '09 movie's takeaway also.

Because Bloodlines didn’t have a symbol of female empowerment say, “-if you can’t even beat a girl.”

Which yah yah, I know is a silly joke, but she’s fighting the God of War to stop World War 3 and that’s the best they can come up with?

I don’t really have an issue with Diana herself in the film, it was just the plot using a sleazy version of Steve to wedge her into this position of focusing solely on gender norms and not on anything else she stands for (like world peace).
    Blegh, I forgot about that line.

There's also the 3 minute scene of Steve talking about puckered buttholes.

That film has easily the worst depiction of Steve Trevor (and Etta, and Ares) ever.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Blegh, I forgot about that line.

There's also the 3 minute scene of Steve talking about puckered buttholes.

That film has easily the worst depiction of Steve Trevor (and Etta, and Ares) ever.
    Unfortunately, it's brief cameo of Cheetah at the end is somehow still better than her appearance in Bloodlines.

Incredible Member

Yeah the Skinny Mean Girl Floozy Etta cameo was just so....whhhyyy?

I didn't hate Nathan's Steve in that film but I've come to dislike Fillion so....yeah.

Honestly the only things in that movie that I still like are Hippolyta and Keri's vocals as Diana....which were good. Artemis was good too. And the structure of it was good.

Ares, Etta, Hippy's son (?), Deimos and Hades were all...choices...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Yeah the Skinny Mean Girl Floozy Etta cameo was just so....whhhyyy?

I didn't hate Nathan's Steve in that film but I've come to dislike Fillion so....yeah.

Honestly the only things in that movie that I still like are Hippolyta and Keri's vocals as Diana....which were good. Artemis was good too. And the structure of it was good.

Ares, Etta, Hippy's son (?), Deimos and Hades were all...choices...
    Mean Girl Etta is so strange since Steve did actually have a (somewhat) mean girl blonde secretary in the 40's, Lila Brown. She was sort of adapted into the 70's TV series as "Marcia" (though this version was an actual Nazi). So if Lila and Marcia are both eligible, why on EARTH would you fill that role with Etta Candy?

I actually don't mind Deimos's role in the film. It was strange seeing a manipulative and calculating villain from the comics become just a brute, but the battle was a highlight of the film at the very least.

The Hippolyta/Ares stuff was atrocious. Why would you include rape in a story like this? I really despised that aspect.

My perception has always been that Marston is the one that gets the most praise, with Perez a very close second.
    However, my personal favorite will always be Gail Simone's WW.
    Maybe on this subforum (but even then I’d disagree, I see Rucka and Jimenez get way more love) but to the general public Marston doesn’t even exist. Most people have never read WW’s Golden Age stuff.
    We can, but Superman has had many more adaptations than her and there is no single one that his fanbase agrees is definitive. So Wonder Woman ever get one either, we just need more adaptations in general.
    Our problem is that we do have a definitive Superman take, it’s just not one all of us think is perfect anymore: Chris Reeve’s take on Superman. Like it or not that’s Superman as far as the general public is concerned. I’m still fond of it, I just don’t think it’s perfect and it obviously can’t cover how Superman has evolved since the 70s. Much as *I* may have many complaints about him, DCAU Superman is the closest thing Superman has to a popular all encompassing take on Superman since Reeve. It’s why I’m excited for MAWS since hopefully that and S&L can change perception of the character (and also continue to move him away from where the DCEU wanted to take him).

WW has Gadot at least but before that movie, the definitive WW was DCAU WW. It’s why Snyder just tried to recreate her for his films.
    Even BTAS isn't considered definitive by the Batman fanbase across the entire board, even though it of course comes really damn close and is probably the closest example.
    Arkham games, those are the gold standard now. Dunno how old everyone is but as a Gen Z guy, video games are either on par or just beneath movies in terms of how they shape perception for the younger generation. Ever wonder why Harley Quinn exploded in popularity in the 2010s? Arkham games are why. If Diana got a video game that was good it would do more for her than a 100 issue run as sad as that is (which is why I’m frustrated they haven’t tried to do anything outside of Batman on the video games side).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Well, one thing I can say about the 2009 film is it actually included the contest.

I agree with Vordan, the closest WW definitive thing has is the DCEU and her movies to being the definitive media presence.

Not perfect but given the other options were DCAU's Bat-cheerleader and NRS/Tom Taylor's Super-cheerleader, it's a better basis.

Really does suck Eisenberg has had to voice some of the worst takes on Diana, though.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-14-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Arkham games, those are the gold standard now. Dunno how old everyone is but as a Gen Z guy, video games are either on par or just beneath movies in terms of how they shape perception for the younger generation. Ever wonder why Harley Quinn exploded in popularity in the 2010s? Arkham games are why. If Diana got a video game that was good it would do more for her than a 100 issue run as sad as that is (which is why I’m frustrated they haven’t tried to do anything outside of Batman on the video games side).
    I don't know about that. I see a lot of people complaining about Batman being too dark (even non comic fans). There are people that think Batman should just be Adam West and Batman The Brave and the Bold.

Same way I for example think Christopher Reeves is charming, but ultimately doesn't represent my Superman, the contemplative guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Or "definitive take" means something different than what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't know about that. I see a lot of people complaining about Batman being too dark (even non comic fans). There are people that think Batman should just be Adam West and Batman The Brave and the Bold.

Same way I for example think Christopher Reeves is charming, but ultimately doesn't represent my Superman, the contemplative guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Or "definitive take" means something different than what I think.
    I’d caution against confusing social media or forums with what the general public actually wants. The Batman looks incredibly dark and is by far the most hyped upcoming DC movie. Batman: The Caped Crusader is being billed as an even darker take on Batman than the DCAU version. It’s getting tons of hype and excitement off of that alone.

People who think Batman should be campy are a tiny minority at best.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Her first animated movie was a flop (or performed under expectation at least, so it might not have necessarily been a flop), but became one of their top sellers later. Actually I think it was around the the time her live action movie was announced.

Lol and yeah, GL flops once and they hide his whole IP in shame.
    Her merchandise is insane, and I believe she frequent is the top selling female comic book character for DC