Page 41 of 126 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    And in the next movie Cheetah is easily killed by ordinary bullets, so her villains aren't worth much in this universe
    At least she jobbed to Wonder Woman first .

If only they held of on a JLD movie until Diana's comic team happened. Then when might have finally gotten an animated Diana vs. Circe face off with Diana not being turned into a pig for rich boy to rescue.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-15-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If only they held of on a JLD movie until Diana's comic team happened. Then when might have finally gotten an animated Diana vs. Circe face off with Diana being turned into a pig for rich boy to rescue.
    Ironically Circe was name-dropped in said JLD movie...

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe on this subforum (but even then I’d disagree, I see Rucka and Jimenez get way more love) but to the general public Marston doesn’t even exist. Most people have never read WW’s Golden Age stuff.

Our problem is that we do have a definitive Superman take, it’s just not one all of us think is perfect anymore: Chris Reeve’s take on Superman. Like it or not that’s Superman as far as the general public is concerned. I’m still fond of it, I just don’t think it’s perfect and it obviously can’t cover how Superman has evolved since the 70s. Much as *I* may have many complaints about him, DCAU Superman is the closest thing Superman has to a popular all encompassing take on Superman since Reeve. It’s why I’m excited for MAWS since hopefully that and S&L can change perception of the character (and also continue to move him away from where the DCEU wanted to take him).

WW has Gadot at least but before that movie, the definitive WW was DCAU WW. It’s why Snyder just tried to recreate her for his films.

Arkham games, those are the gold standard now. Dunno how old everyone is but as a Gen Z guy, video games are either on par or just beneath movies in terms of how they shape perception for the younger generation. Ever wonder why Harley Quinn exploded in popularity in the 2010s? Arkham games are why. If Diana got a video game that was good it would do more for her than a 100 issue run as sad as that is (which is why I’m frustrated they haven’t tried to do anything outside of Batman on the video games side).
    DCAU WW is the definitive WW for people who grew up on her, I was in this camp for years. But, Lynda Carter is the Wonder Woman. For many, she is on par with Christopher Reeve.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    DCAU WW is the definitive WW for people who grew up on her, I was in this camp for years. But, Lynda Carter is the Wonder Woman. For many, she is on par with Christopher Reeve.
    She's the only live action WW before Gal came along lol. Not much to go off of.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Well, there was Cathy Lee Crosby.

And to be fair, Lynda nailed the role with a out of the ball park homerun with her rendition. So, as you say, there might not be much to go off, but she did such an incredible job that people still revere her to this day for her role. I know she is the reason why Wonder Woman is my favorite comic book character.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Well, there was Cathy Lee Crosby.

And to be fair, Lynda nailed the role with a out of the ball park homerun with her rendition. So, as you say, there might not be much to go off, but she did such an incredible job that people still revere her to this day for her role. I know she is the reason why Wonder Woman is my favorite comic book character.
    Cathy Lee Crosby.....no one even remembers that tv movie that didn't resemble WW at all lol

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

And? The 1970s TV show has been held up by fans for years and Lynda Carter is considered an icon because of her role.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Cathy Lee Crosby.....no one even remembers that tv movie that didn't resemble WW at all lol
    Again, I remembered the movie. Let's not get all hyperbolic and state opinions as facts.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    DCAU WW is the definitive WW for people who grew up on her, I was in this camp for years.
    You know, a question is did the DCAU help or hurt the Wonder Woman mythos to the general audience?

Another question to ask is if the restraints [Unless she was a main character, she wasn't allowed] on her usage in adaptations (until fairly recently) helped or hurt her?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know, a question is did the DCAU help or hurt the Wonder Woman mythos to the general audience?

Another question to ask is if the restraints [Unless she was a main character, she wasn't allowed] on her usage in adaptations (until fairly recently) helped or hurt her?
    Well, like most things, it's both. Diana herself was cool, even if a lot of that was surface level, "she can punch real good" kind of cool. And she had an amazing voice actress.

It hurt her mythos pretty bad, though. For reasons that have been stated by many.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Like Fish said, bit of both. It did introduce her to a new generation of fans so there’s that at least.

But I wouldn’t say it helped her mythos at all since the most long lasting thing about is that infernal “WonderBat” ship. DCAU will always have black mark against it for making her Bruce (Timm) Wayne’s cheerleader. Easily the second worst aspect DC’s grafted on Diana after Daddy Zeus.

Donna gets an animation upgrade compared to S3

vs

I got into the character because of the show. I don't mind the Wonder Bat ship. The shows main problem was they didn't delve too deep into her own mythos. Though to be fair, they didn't delve too deep into any characters mythos since they wanted to keep the focus on the relationship between the main roster. John Stewart, Hal Jordan and Martian Manhunter were the most fleshed out characters on the show but there are still gaps in their backstory.

I would say the main problem with the show was it's depiction of Cheetah as a jobber rather than someone on the same level as Diana's which seems to have carried over to other adaptations. The exceptions being Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Justice League: Doom.

For a while, it seemed like the DTV movies were poised to focus on characters that didn't get solo spot light but after the WW and GL movies, DC just threw in the towel and decided they'll only make Superman, Batman and Justice League content with the occasional Titans movie thrown in.

The most damaging thing done to WW was the whole 'daughter of Zeus' thing making it into an adaptation. Even though Patty got most of everything else right, the fact that that made it into the movie was frustrating.

And nearly every WW movie has had their strengths and their weaknesses.

The JLU cartoon got the voice and parts of her personality right (I even like how they did Steve) but they didn't delve too much into her mythology and villains.
    The 2009 movie got the art style and voice right but it's weighed down by Not All Men Steve Trevor and a weak depiction of Ares.
    The 2017 movie got the message of WW right, nailed the Diana/Steve romance, great take on Dr Poison but was weighed down by adapting 'Daughter of Zeus' thing and another terrible take on Ares.
    Bloodlines threw in villains besides Cheetah or Ares and had a good supporting cast but the entire movie felt half assed.
    I have nothing positive to say about WW 84.

The main problem are these massive gaps between adaptations. Superman and Batman get tons of adaptations to the point where there is a Batman and Superman for each decade. And each subsequent adaptation improves upon the material so if you for instance, hated the Clark/Superman/Lois Traingle For Two, you would still have Superman & Lois and Man of Steel to watch. The second WW "didn't sell fast enough" they bench her and even though we can get multiple Batmen and Supermen on movie and tv, we can only have one WW it seems. Why can't we have a second live action WW the same way we got Henry Cavill and Tyler Hochelin around the same time frame or Ben Affleck, Robert Pattinson and Michael Keaton all being Batman around the same period?

Well to be fair the reason we got multiple Supermen and Batmen was because the DCEU takes on them were failures. DCEU WW was not and they want Gadot to be the WW right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/