Page 47 of 126 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    First time they've all been in a cartoon together and first time they've all been on-screen together.

I don't think we've even had it in the comics since, like, late Post-Crisis.
    I mean, there's not much WW based animated stuff to begin with, it's usually just Diana in some subpar JL movie. So it's not that hard to believe.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Cool.

Now cancel YJ (and clown lady's show also) and put the resources to a WW animated show so we can stop accepting scraps.
    I wouldn't cancel shows for such a petty reason, so I cannot agree with this take. It does no good to force people to work on something they don't necessarily care about (I.E. DCAU characters that aren't Batman). Also, Wonder Woman is getting a video game.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Rewatching JL v F5 and all the fight scenes are so fluid. I love it.

Too bad the story was so mediocre.

I mean, there's not much WW based animated stuff to begin with, it's usually just Diana in some subpar JL movie. So it's not that hard to believe.
    Still an achievement .
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Rewatching JL v F5 and all the fight scenes are so fluid. I love it.
    She really didn't need the sword in this. It felt so tacked on.

She didn't even use it to beat Persuader.

Still an achievement .

She really didn't need the sword in this. It felt so tacked on.

She didn't even use it to beat Persuader.
    I assume the sword was just a mandate but at least she was very versatile throughout with her fighting. She punched, kicked, sliced, lassoed.

I assume the sword was just a mandate but at least she was very versatile throughout with her fighting. She punched, kicked, sliced, lassoed.
    Yeah, under the circumstances it was used as well as could be expected.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I just realized that I finally have an opportunity to vent about this awful scene in the film.

Jessica, a woman who developed PTSD from watching her friends being murdered in front of her and is fresh from a therapy session, just finished telling Wonder Woman about how her anxiety makes it hard for her to even leave her apartment. Wonder Woman attacks her with a sword to prove a point.

WTF Who thought this was a good idea?

1. That's such a terrible take on mental health that, even with all I've seen from media, I can't believe they actually wrote it.

2. I thought this was completely out-of-character even before I learned the way that Wonder Woman is generally mischaracterized.

Although now I can't help but stuck with the image that whenever Bruce starts to re-consider his life due to the trauma of witnessing his parents' death, Diana pulls out a gun and starts shooting at him.

Bruce: "I don't know, maybe I've been dragging myself in this hole and dragging everybody - Robin, Alfred, Gordon - down with me. Maybe this was all a mistake-"
    Azzarello-Chiang3_post.jpg
    Bruce: "AAARGH! DIANA, WHY?!"
    Diana: "Doesn't look like a mistake to me."

I think the only thing missing is Diana talking about hot Bruce is and you have Bruce Timm's Wonder Woman summed up in one scene.

I think the only thing missing is Diana talking about hot Bruce is and you have Bruce Timm's Wonder Woman summed up in one scene.
    Man, I grew up with the cartoon and it was so disappointing to realize, as an adult, that the reason I often thought Diana was a jerk was due to the straw feminism that plagued so many shows and cartoons that I watched as a child (and contributed to me thinking that was what feminism was)

The same with the Batman-Wonder Woman when I realized how often female superheroines got treated like that (It's the same reason why the Nightwing's birthday whatever with the female superheroines in Young Justice really got on my nerves)
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 12-24-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Another great WW fight scene

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Man, I grew up with the cartoon and it was so disappointing to realize, as an adult, that the reason I often thought Diana was a jerk was due to the straw feminism that plagued so many shows and cartoons that I watched as a child.

The same with the Batman-Wonder Woman when I realized how often female superheroines got treated like that (It's the same reason why the Nightwing's birthday whatever with the female superheroines in Young Justice really got on my nerves)

While I was able to really enjoy WW in JL as a child, it was very of its time. I always found it a shame that we never got to really get anything that delved into her character and did some proper character development.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 12-24-2021 at 01:07 PM.

While I was able to really enjoy WW in JL as a child, it was very of its time. I always found it a shame that we never got to really get anything that delved into her character and did some proper character development.
    As someone who also grew up with the Batman and Superman Animated Series, I really think Wonder Woman could use a solo cartoon because even though I never read the comics or watched the films, I still remember the characters and villains because of those two shows (the same for the Justice League show)

Wonder Woman could really use a cartoon that similarly establishes Wonder Woman, the core characters and the villains to new generations (which will also be the de facto impression of the character for those people, some of whom will become part of the creative industry) A good version/innovation of a villain influences other media (Mr. Freeze is perhaps one of the most famous examples in DC)

Mind you, that's not really the reason for the Justice League cartoon's mishandling of Wonder Woman - they had other characters without a pre-exisiting show that didn't have the same problems so some of it just straight-up comes down to sexism.

Sadly, I learned some things about Bruce Timm when I grew up and saw other examples of his work outside Batman the Animated Series. Dear god, the writing for Barbara Gordin in the Killing Joke was sexist as hell. Yes, writers, let's have Batman explain to Batgirl that she's getting objectified. Oh, let's have it be because she actually felt flattered by this obvious sleazebag criminal's sleazy comments. Let's include the cliché where the female hero gets really angry and attacks the male hero and then makes out and has sex with them because emotions.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 12-24-2021 at 01:27 PM.

Another great WW fight scene

I'll never forget "Submit!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Man, I grew up with the cartoon and it was so disappointing to realize, as an adult, that the reason I often thought Diana was a jerk was due to the straw feminism that plagued so many shows and cartoons that I watched as a child (and contributed to me thinking that was what feminism was)

I'm the weird millennial who wasn't allowed to watch Cartoon Network as a kid, and JL/JLU passed me by so I've never really had any nostalgia for it.

My opinion only really lowered the more I go into the behind-the-scenes stuff. It sucks 'cause Eisenberg is a pretty good voice for Diana but we can do better than "stuck-up feminist who becomes a schoolgirl when Bruce (Timm) Wayne is in the room".

Rich Fogel: She’s a little bit younger and more innocent than we’ve seen her in the past. She is literally the princess who’s fresh off the island—she’s never been off Themyscira before—and so she has a shock of culture coming out into Man’s World and her expectations of how people should behave towards her are different. It makes her a lot of fun to deal with because she’s haughty, but she’s also innocent. And, she also has issues with her mother.

Bruce Timm: She was probably the most challenging character of all of them in this show. Everyone else we kind of figured out who they were pretty easily, but we had a lot of discussions about Wonder Woman. With Batman, you could easily say “Batman: Year One, that’s the Batman we want to do," but with Wonder Woman we couldn’t really point to any previous version of Wonder Woman and say, “Well, yeah, that’s Wonder Woman.” We had to say, “Well, is she Linda Carter? Is she the George Pérez Wonder Woman? Is she Xena?” And none of those things worked exactly for what we wanted to do with the show. So the personality as just described by Rich is kind of what we came up with.

[And], since we had Hawkgirl in the cast as well, we wanted to make sure that they weren’t just two peas in a pod. We wanted to make sure that their personalities really contrasted with one another, so [that] they’re not just “the girls.”
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-24-2021 at 02:05 PM.

I'll never forget "Submit!"
    I'll say it again, Diana fights like a Grecian Wrestler. She doesn't attack, she dominates. And though she barely did anything in Crisis on Two Earths, I knew deep in my heart as an 11 year old that I was seeing Wonder Woman clearly for the first time.