Page 48 of 127 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'm the weird millennial who wasn't allowed to watch Cartoon Network as a kid, and JL/JLU passed me by so I've never really had any nostalgia for it.

My opinion only really lowered the more I go into the behind-the-scenes stuff. It sucks 'cause Eisenberg is a pretty good voice for Diana but we can do better than "stuck-up feminist who becomes a schoolgirl when Bruce (Timm) Wayne is in the room".
    When you read timm's words. You realize that WW wasn't the problem. Her character wasn't the issue. Marston, Perez, Lynda any of those versions would have been a better representation of WW than what they actually did. The reason why he said none of that could work for what they wanted to do, is because what they wanted was the famous female hero of DC to be head over heels for batman. And he knew that Marston, Carter or Perez Diana wouldn't fall for thje rich playboy with issues. And his WW and hawkgirls aren't that different anyway. They were both hit first ask later type of characters. The cliche of strong women acting like bitches in order to be considered strong. Sexism wasall over the place following DCAU WW.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Man, I grew up with the cartoon and it was so disappointing to realize, as an adult, that the reason I often thought Diana was a jerk was due to the straw feminism that plagued so many shows and cartoons that I watched as a child (and contributed to me thinking that was what feminism was)

The same with the Batman-Wonder Woman when I realized how often female superheroines got treated like that (It's the same reason why the Nightwing's birthday whatever with the female superheroines in Young Justice really got on my nerves)
    DCAU WW is not a feminist. She is just a spoiled bitch with prejudice towards men and a weaklink that constantly had her ass handed to her.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Still an achievement .

She really didn't need the sword in this. It felt so tacked on.

She didn't even use it to beat Persuader.
    I was liking this movie until the bulls**t ending with Jessica taking on the entire Fatal Five all by her lonesome. Where they tried to make good fights between the individual characters, this all became a moot point when all you needed was Jessica and a green lantern ring to soundly beat them all. Was reminiscent of the Justice League movie when Superman shows up, curb stomps the league, and absolutely wipes the floor with Steppenwolf!

WTF Who thought this was a good idea?
    DC did. There was a thing during the last decade and a half to make WW meaner and more 'warrior like'. That's why Diana is carrying a sword throughout JL vs FF. Even on JL she did that very rarely and only during situations like fighting the Thangarian army.

WW was created by Marston because he wanted to show that traits that we typically ascribe as feminine like being caring and compassionate, are only seen as weak if pop culture presents it as weak so he created a character who was meant be very kind, loving and compassionate but at the same time powerful and charismatic enough to be able to spread her philosophy all over the world.

Sadly, 80 year later, neither DC not the culture at large has gotten the message.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    DC did. There was a thing during the last decade and a half to make WW meaner and more 'warrior like'. That's why Diana is carrying a sword throughout JL vs FF. Even on JL she did that very rarely and only during situations like fighting the Thangarian army.

WW was created by Marston because he wanted to show that traits that we typically ascribe as feminine like being caring and compassionate, are only seen as weak if pop culture presents it as weak so he created a character who was meant be very kind, loving and compassionate but at the same time powerful and charismatic enough to be able to spread her philosophy all over the world.

Sadly, 80 year later, neither DC not the culture at large has gotten the message.
    Why is this ^^^ so hard so FRICKING HARD to understand to so many fanboys and writers? They tend to think in extremes and they cannot fathom that Diana can be both a ferociously skilled warrior and leader AND a loving, kind, compassionate soul?

I suspect if we get a WW animated series it will be on HBO Max.

Although now I can't help but stuck with the image that whenever Bruce starts to re-consider his life due to the trauma of witnessing his parents' death, Diana pulls out a gun and starts shooting at him.

Bruce: "I don't know, maybe I've been dragging myself in this hole and dragging everybody - Robin, Alfred, Gordon - down with me. Maybe this was all a mistake-"
    Attachment 116558
    Bruce: "AAARGH! DIANA, WHY?!"
    Diana: "Doesn't look like a mistake to me."
    Where the hell is that even from lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Another great WW fight scene

Man, this movie was weird, like, it was really mediocre in the first half, but then the second half it suddenly became more fun.

Also I burst out laughing when Diana started to pull wrestling moves in this fight lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Happy Holidays .
    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I was liking this movie until the bulls**t ending with Jessica taking on the entire Fatal Five all by her lonesome. Where they tried to make good fights between the individual characters, this all became a moot point when all you needed was Jessica and a green lantern ring to soundly beat them all. Was reminiscent of the Justice League movie when Superman shows up, curb stomps the league, and absolutely wipes the floor with Steppenwolf!
    Yeah, I love Jessica, but it did kind of make the League look useless .
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I suspect if we get a WW animated series it will be on HBO Max.
    I guess that depends on whether they want to market it like the upcoming Batman and Superman cartoons which will be both on HBOMax and on Cartoon Network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Man, this movie was weird, like, it was really mediocre in the first half, but then the second half it suddenly became more fun.

Also I burst out laughing when Diana started to pull wrestling moves in this fight lol.
    I love Crisis on Two Earths .

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Shame that nothing more came of the Ruby Spears version of Wonder Woman (written by Marv Wolfman) in their Superman 88 cartoon. She had a really good outting there for the most part. We got the Amazons, a made up WW villain (that was basically Circe), and decent action scenes.

Yeah, I love Jessica, but it did kind of make the League look useless .
    Yeah, the movie was about her and all but, she looked too damn busted in the end.

It's also weird Fatal Five cared about her in particular, they talked like there was some prophecy around her, but all they did was use her to free Emerald Princess, something any lantern could do lol.

I love Crisis on Two Earths .
    It's fun, but has an awkward first part, and it's unfortunate that good Lex loses his relevance, and that awkward romance between J'onn and Rose...

Thinking of it, sudden, awkward romance may be a problem with DCAU (Since the movie was supposed to be part of it and had most of its script unchanged), 'cause Supergirl immediately fell in love with Brainiac 5, despite them knowing each other for less than an hour... And I remember that in the episode that introduces Catwoman, Bruce seems like he falls in love with her after a single date, wonder if there are more cases besides those, but, 3 times is already pretty noticeable lol..

Shame that nothing more came of the Ruby Spears version of Wonder Woman (written by Marv Wolfman) in their Superman 88 cartoon. She had a really good outting there for the most part. We got the Amazons, a made up WW villain (that was basically Circe), and decent action scenes.
    What would've been had she gotten a cartoon in the 80's....
    Yeah, the movie was about her and all but, she looked too damn busted in the end.

It's also weird Fatal Five cared about her in particular, they talked like there was some prophecy around her, but all they did was use her to free Emerald Princess, something any lantern could do lol.
    I guess because she was, at the time, the weakest.
    It's fun, but has an awkward first part, and it's unfortunate that good Lex loses his relevance, and that awkward romance between J'onn and Rose...

Thinking of it, sudden, awkward romance may be a problem with DCAU (Since the movie was supposed to be part of it and had most of its script unchanged), 'cause Supergirl immediately fell in love with Brainiac 5, despite them knowing each other for less than an hour... And I remember that in the episode that introduces Catwoman, Bruce seems like he falls in love with her after a single date, wonder if there are more cases besides those, but, 3 times is already pretty noticeable lol..
    I think the first act is setup but pretty solid, and Lex got to do what he needed to do since the main League had to, of course, deal with their Crime Syndicate counterparts.

I think J'onn and Rose worked in the context of the film.

(I mean, who wouldn't fall in love with Selina after a first date...)

I guess because she was, at the time, the weakest.
    She soloed the Fatal Five, so much for "weakest" lol.

I think the first act is setup but pretty solid, and Lex got to do what he needed to do since the main League had to, of course, deal with their Crime Syndicate counterparts.
    Lex arriving and getting naked is amusing, it's just that the first battle against Crime Syndicate was, meh, which surprised when the second one was better.

I think J'onn and Rose worked in the context of the film.
    Eh, it's sudden and goes nowhere lol.

(I mean, who wouldn't fall in love with Selina after a first date...)
    Fair enough I guess .

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

She soloed the Fatal Five, so much for "weakest" lol.
    Curses! Foiled by character development!
    Lex arriving and getting naked is amusing, it's just that the first battle against Crime Syndicate was, meh, which surprised when the second one was better.
    I thought the first sequence of the League meeting the Crime Syndicate and fighting off some of the evil versions of heroes was pretty fun and a good way to introduce them to the world, along with Flash dealing with evil!Looker's "not the Jedi Mind Trick."
    Eh, it's sudden and goes nowhere lol.
    Added a tang of bitter-sweetness and shows J'onn's sensitive side .
    That hair looks phenomenal.

Think this was the first time post-Crisis Perez stuff started showing up in WW adaptations (flight, Hippolyta' design, etc)