Page 66 of 128 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not going power level complaints/sexist accusations like Mystical41 but Cheetah's handling in the Catwoman movie and some of the answers he's given shared here do make grateful that YJ is largely the only time Weisman's handled Wonder Woman and her being a background character there is probably a blessing in disguise.

Not as bad as Timm, Dini, and DCAU crew but not record of endorsement.
    I agree with this.

I never understood why Diana and the rest of Justice League need to keep appearing when the show is Young Justice. Especially when it seems like they're only there to be useless and outsmarted at every turn in order to justify why the younger heroes are the protagonists.

And looking at Weisman's comments......yeah, I can't say I'm keen on his take on Diana or her world.

This is why I always get antsy when someone suggests DC should just model itself after the DCAU or let guys like Weisman or Bruce Timm steer the ship. Wonder Woman and her world always seems to get the short end of the stick.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think WW comes across much better in her handful of appearances in YJ than she did in the entirety of the DCAU. But I'm only going off of having seen the first two seasons in full.

Weisman is a creator I otherwise really like, but the handling of Cheetah and his comments on that decision make me not want to see him utilize the WW mythos in an great capacity. Even in YJ, the only villain they've used so far is Devastation, right? I know some posters on here like her, but for me she just comes across as one of the "Important for one creator's run, means very little in the grand scheme of things" villains in this franchise. In the same company as White Magician, the First Born, pre-Rebirth Cale, Genocide, etc.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I agree with this.

I never understood why Diana and the rest of Justice League need to keep appearing when the show is Young Justice. Especially when it seems like they're only there to be useless and outsmarted at every turn in order to justify why the younger heroes are the protagonists.

And looking at Weisman's comments......yeah, I can't say I'm keen on his take on Diana or her world.

This is why I always get antsy when someone suggests DC should just model itself after the DCAU or let guys like Weisman or Bruce Timm steer the ship. Wonder Woman and her world always seems to get the short end of the stick.
    i dont think anyone wants a 100% adaption but its hard to argue that both universes have produced a lot of damn good stories/adaptations. Not to mention that he put in plenty of thought into a character that is a recurring guest star. Gives plenty of interesting stories to tell if one was able to tell it.

And Weisman said that yes, Superman is stronger than WW but its very obvious he chose his response wisely.
    He could fight either one on one. Though Superman's combination of powers would make it very tough for Blockbuster to win.

It isnt just that Supes is strong, its his combination of powers that makes him a tougher threat.

Superman has spent 99% of his run as being the strongest and WW has the better skill that makes up for the difference in brute strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I agree with this.

I don't think most who want a Timm or Weisman run DC really care all that much about how WW's represented. I know DCAU is mixed here but most other casuals and DC fans I can tell are fine with generic Warrior Woman who fights some Greek monster and then goes to bang Superman and/or Batman.

But yeah, Weisman's comments remind something Phil Jimenez brought up where DC Big Wigs had WW being defined as "The Best Fighter on the ground only on the Justice League" so it didn't upset Superman writers and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think WW comes across much better in her handful of appearances in YJ than she did in the entirety of the DCAU. But I'm only going off of having seen the first two seasons in full.

Weisman is a creator I otherwise really like, but the handling of Cheetah and his comments on that decision make me not want to see him utilize the WW mythos in an great capacity. Even in YJ, the only villain they've used so far is Devastation, right? I know some posters on here like her, but for me she just comes across as one of the "Important for one creator's run, means very little in the grand scheme of things" villains in this franchise. In the same company as White Magician, the First Born, pre-Rebirth Cale, Genocide, etc.
    Devastation's there because she was created by Eric Luke. One of Weisman's writing buddies on Gargoyles, he's getting his buddy a royalty check probably lol.
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-13-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Devastation's there because she was created by Eric Luke. One of Weisman's writing buddies on Gargoyles, he's getting his buddy a royalty check probably lol.
    To be fair, she also appeared in Peter David's Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Superman has spent 99% of his run as being the strongest and WW has the better skill that makes up for the difference in brute strength.
    I think it's been pretty consistent in-universe that Diana's not as strong as a Kryptonian but what she has over them is her Amazonian training. That's how she was able to fight Power Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's been pretty consistent in-universe that Diana's not as strong as a Kryptonian but what she has over them is her Amazonian training. That's how she was able to fight Power Girl.
    Tbf, as the years go on this comes off more and more as a consolation prize that's more Superman's benefit than Wonder Woman given there's always the tried and true cliche of "Superman ain't holding back this time!".

Tbf, as the years go on this comes off more and more as a consolation prize that's more Superman's benefit than Wonder Woman given there's always the tried and true cliche of "Superman ain't holding back this time!".
    I mean, Superman tends to job plenty (especially for Batman's benefit) so I don't think he really has it that much better (like that scene at the end of JLU where he finally cuts loose even though it ends up not even mattering in the end).

Power scaling in general is a pretty big crapshoot in any medium.

Extraordinary Member

This is my preferred interpretation of her, tbh. I tend to respect training more than powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Heck, Black Canary knocks down Superboy in the first season without using powers.
    And this is exactly where that respect comes from.

I mean, Superman tends to job plenty (especially for Batman's benefit) so I don't think he really has it that much better (like that scene at the end of JLU where he finally cuts loose even though it ends up not even mattering in the end).

Power scaling in general is a pretty big crapshoot in any medium.
    You said it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

powergirl is not as strong as Superman. And WW has better feats than PG and has been called the physically strongest female in DC plenty of times. But sure. Let's keep lowering the bar so WW can't even be the strongest girl in her unbiverse. What a great treatment for the so called most iconic female hero.

And more often than not. superman trashes WW easily in 1 or 2 hits. Which means she isn't just weaker. She is far weaker than him and all her allegedly skills can't save her from getting stomped. Sexism won.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This is my preferred interpretation of her, tbh. I tend to respect training more than powers.

And this is exactly where that respect comes from.

You said it.
    Gail Simone already placed Wonder Woman as stronger than Powergirl. I fail to see why a woman with powers from multiple Gods can't be both crazy powerful and skilled at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    i dont think anyone wants a 100% adaption but its hard to argue that both universes have produced a lot of damn good stories/adaptations. Not to mention that he put in plenty of thought into a character that is a recurring guest star. Gives plenty of interesting stories to tell if one was able to tell it.

And Weisman said that yes, Superman is stronger than WW but its very obvious he chose his response wisely.
    He could fight either one on one. Though Superman's combination of powers would make it very tough for Blockbuster to win.

It isnt just that Supes is strong, its his combination of powers that makes him a tougher threat.

That is a more subtle way of suggesting that Superman is too much for her to handle. Wonder Woman has super strength, speed, durability, super senses, flight, healing, skills. And magic gear with its own powers and abilities. How is superman more ''haxed'' or versatile than her? Oh that's right, that only happens with bias writers like weisman that don't write WW using her full potential. If you are just writing her as a flying brick, sure sm has more ''powers''. If you write WW working with all her abilities and gear to the best of their capability. She is more versatile than him. and a character like blockbuster shouldn't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Gail Simone already placed Wonder Woman as stronger than Powergirl. I fail to see why a woman with powers from multiple Gods can't be both crazy powerful and skilled at the same time.
    Didn't Diana use strategy and warrior training to beat her though? It wasn't a raw strength contest.

Nobody is denying Wonder Woman is super strong.

(I think Power Girl is pretty close to Superman strength-wise).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Didn't Diana use strategy and warrior training to beat her though? It wasn't a raw strength contest.

Nobody is denying Wonder Woman is super strong.

(I think Power Girl is pretty close to Superman strength-wise).
    Looks like you don't want her to be super strong. Since you suggest that any kryptonian should be above her.

The comic said they were in the same strength class. But WW uses more than just strength to fight her battles. But simone said on twiter that she ranks WW as stronger than PG. And PG is nowhere near SM's strength level based on feats. In fact WW has better feats than her too.