Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Some of these anti-DC threads genuinely come across as jokes.
    Your problem is because your fine everybody else must be fine. Constructive criticism does not mean being anti-DC far from it. If you want to keep digging your head in the sand, fine, but to deny that DC ain't in the best of shape and its over relying on bat, is not wanting to see the reality sorry to say that. Just as it is wrong to blame batfans as if its their fault, when many Batfans aren't happy either with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Attachment 109702

At this point, we are getting more Bat-books every months even in the "DC Round Robin", we are getting the "Robin" and "Harley Quinn" books. Meanwhile at Marvel's recent annoucement, it's pretty clear they have launch many different titles which is something different, like "Darkhawk", " Defender", " Kang the Conqueror" and many more. I am sorry DC fans. But Marvel prove themselves once again that they will forever to take the risk to try something new rather than the " DC BATMAN UNIVERSE." FULL COMPLETELY 100% RANTS!!!!
    I really don't see how any of this makes Batman fans greedy. It's hardly like they are making corporate decisions. I'm not even a big Batman fan, well, what Batman has been for decades now. But Batman sells. People buy. He gets more books.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    Your problem is because your fine everybody else must be fine. Constructive criticism does not mean being anti-DC far from it. If you want to keep digging your head in the sand, fine, but to deny that DC ain't in the best of shape and its over relying on bat, is not wanting to see the reality sorry to say that. Just as it is wrong to blame batfans as if its their fault, when many Batfans aren't happy either with all this.
    You do got me when you say I'm probably pretty optimistic. I'm not huge fan of Batman either by the way, but there is enough other DC for me right now.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    You do got me when you say I'm probably pretty optimistic. I'm not huge fan of Batman either by the way, but there is enough other DC for me right now.
    Glad for you, as I am glad for batfans, that does not mean that everything is fine and those who aren't happy must stay silent or sing praise at DC. With all due respect your attitude is I'm alright F*** you Jack. Besides as I stated before over relying on one character ain't the wisest of decisions in anything, not just comics and should be a concern for all of us fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I really don't see how any of this makes Batman fans greedy. It's hardly like they are making corporate decisions. I'm not even a big Batman fan, well, what Batman has been for decades now. But Batman sells. People buy. He gets more books.
    Blaming Batfans is idiotic. Nobody denies Batman sells far from it, what fans are asking same effort and resources applied to Batman could be applied on other characters. Not relying on one character would benefit all. Nobody is asking for the same amount of books batman gets, but that at least other characters get a book. Just today talked with a big Hawkman fan, he related how he practically has nothing about his favorite character, who never gets any push by DC. Is that fair? They can spare a Hawkman book not asking a big deal even in consideration they even have Batman Scooby Doo. But not giving those fans an ongoing will push them further away and when DC decides to have one, it won't be easy to bring those fans back.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 05-20-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Just today talked with a big Hawkman fan, he related how he practically has nothing about his favorite character, who never gets any push by DC. Is that fair?
    Problem with Hawkman is that he sells less than all of the Batman Spin off titels.

In Terms of Sales for solo books It looks usually like this for DC

- Batman
    - Superman
    - Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman (+ maybe Harley Quinn?)
    - Aqaman, Green Arrow, Batfamily (Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin ...)
    - all the other characters

And typically the cancellation line is somewhere at the low end of "Aqaman, Green Arrow, Batfamily (Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin ...)"

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Problem with Hawkman is that he sells less than all of the Batman Spin off titels.

In Terms of Sales for solo books It looks usually like this for DC

- Batman
    - Superman
    - Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman (+ maybe Harley Quinn?)
    - Aqaman, Green Arrow, Batfamily (Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin ...)
    - all the other characters

And typically the cancellation line is somewhere at the low end of "Aqaman, Green Arrow, Batfamily (Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin ...)"
    because Hawkman is not promoted and left to its own devices. Other books are just around for the sake of having a book, no real effort being put in them to improve their sales or quality. Or when they have talented creative teams they lack marketing. Whilst on other occasions controversial runs are approved by DC, which they could anticipate that they might not be popular in terms of sales.

at the moment nightwing and robin are doing better than superman, WW etc

No, I do not think they are (after all they don't run DC). I do think some Batfans are apathetic to the issues DC has with relying too much on him.

Extraordinary Member

because Hawkman is not promoted and left to its own devices.
    It is not like the other books get really more promotion. Based on the last sales number I have seen for Hawkman, sales would have probably had to double to keep the book going on the long run, and I'm not sure if you can do that by promotion (with a reasonable effort).

at the moment nightwing and robin are doing better than superman, WW etc
    Robin got just relauched with a #1, which always sells drastically better than what the later issue sell, and Nightwing got just relauched with a really popular writer.

And I was more referring to how sales roughly looked on average over the last years, there are allways some exceptions to this, if you just look at a single month there are always some exceptions due to stuff like, relaunches, variant covers, events, crossovers, creative teams ...

I just want to point out one thing: I don't see myself as a Batfan. I don't read Batman or any title he is in. Right now, I'm reading only Nightwing, Flash and Teen Titans Academy.
    But I like the Batfamily. I voted Robins because I've always wanted a book about the Batfam without Batman.
    Where does this put me? In the greedy Batfans?
    And, as much as I dislike Harley and the SS concept, I'm sure there are other readers who cares about her and nor Batman, and voted for her.
    Calling Batfans all the people who voted for Robins or SS is a wrong assumption, IMHO

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

We keep getting these anti-DC threads because DC gutted their fanbase when they thought another reboot was necessary. They successfully splintered their fans and that's on them.

I wouldn't say Batfans are greedy because they've been complaining about Batman content for years now. Whether it is Morrison, Snyder, King, the Batfamily as a whole, etc. But somehow the books are still leaving shelves so IDK.

DC is literally putting out 20+ Bat-books so I get why people are pissed. The Round Robin did no favors because they could've literally just announced that Robins book and save everyone's time. When Marvel green lights books like Reptil, Kang or some other lesser known characters it still pisses me off that DC still won't a single finger for characters who are way bigger than those.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No, I do not think they are (after all they don't run DC). I do think some Batfans are apathetic to the issues DC has with relying too much on him.
    Yeah, saw quite a lot who dont see any issue with DC putting him into everything.
    As a Batfan im not too happy myself with how much they rely on Batman all around.

You make the DC Universe look so small when in reality you have one of the biggest.
    Of course im open for as much Batman and Batfamily as possible...but i wouldnt be sad if they would tone it down a bit and instead build up other characters.

You can have a dozen of big hitters in terms of Brand recognition, you dont need to rely on Batman to carry DC if you put the work in.

They could have done far more with WW when the Movie was such a success, same with Aquaman...but they didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It is not like the other books get really more promotion. Based on the last sales number I have seen for Hawkman, sales would have probably had to double to keep the book going on the long run, and I'm not sure if you can do that by promotion (with a reasonable effort).

Robin got just relauched with a #1, which always sells drastically better than what the later issue sell, and Nightwing got just relauched with a really popular writer.

And I was more referring to how sales roughly looked on average over the last years, there are allways some exceptions to this, if you just look at a single month there are always some exceptions due to stuff like, relaunches, variant covers, events, crossovers, creative teams ...
    as you said Nightwing was relaunched with a popular writer, than give some low selling books some popular writers to prop them at sales. I agree that Hawkman sales needed a big lift to keep it around, but from all books DC had, it got the least attention from DC at marketing. The latest run was quite good it deserved much better. Useless to have books for the sake of having them and not giving them the support. If not, you end up at starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    We keep getting these anti-DC threads because DC gutted their fanbase when they thought another reboot was necessary. They successfully splintered their fans and that's on them.

DC is literally putting out 20+ Bat-books so I get why people are pissed. The Round Robin did no favors because they could've literally just announced that Robins book and save everyone's time. When Marvel green lights books like Reptil, Kang or some other lesser known characters it still pisses me off that DC still won't a single finger for characters who are way bigger than those.
    The round Robin idea was idiotic, pitting fans against each other. The characters that are more popular would always win.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    Yeah, saw quite a lot who dont see any issue with DC putting him into everything.
    As a Batfan im not too happy myself with how much they rely on Batman all around.

You make the DC Universe look so small when in reality you have one of the biggest.
    Of course im open for as much Batman and Batfamily as possible...but i wouldnt be sad if they would tone it down a bit and instead build up other characters.

You can have a dozen of big hitters in terms of Brand recognition, you dont need to rely on Batman to carry DC if you put the work in.

They could have done far more with WW when the Movie was such a success, same with Aquaman...but they didnt.
    I agree with every single word you wrote.

I Grew up on DC and i use to like Batman i still do i just don't like to see him nor his family in every DC Book and that's why i Stopped Collecting DC Years ago.another reason Marvel at least tries to take chances with other Heroes and Team Books and you don't see Spider Man or Wolverine in every Book.so for now i'm making Marvel Mines once again until DC gets it stuff together.

On here? Batman himself is controversial in his own forum due to how he's been generally portrayed in the comics in recent years. Some like BatGod that can never be in the wrong, others want their favorite members that happen to be stuck under the Bat umbrella to be out (Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, Robin, etc).

Outside that? Batman is name brand, and even with how big Marvel hit it with movies, Batman still carries weight with the general public to overshadow them at times.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think this is closer to the truth. They are not greedy as all fanbases are primarily concerned with what they are fans of, it's just human nature. But some self awareness at times that Batman gets catered to the most would be nice.

Especially as other characters get pulled into his narrative to prop him up. This happens all around (including to him), but it also seems to happen to other characters for him the most and in most high profile situations:
    - Superman in TDKR
    - Injustice screwing everyone over characterization wise, but Batman is the most heroic. I think Wonder Woman's level even ended with a Batman vs. Batman fight
    - The Flash movie has more attention being paid to the multiple actors playing Batman so far than the actual Flash
    - Dick Grayson getting shot in the head purely to provide yet more angst to Bruce, and then being forced to deal with the poorly written fallout for an ungodly amount of time
    - Bruce Timm having access to Wonder Woman and not being able to think of anything to do with her but have her crush on Batman.
    - Bruce/Barbara rooftop sex.
    - Arguably Batman v. Superman, and it being edited down to be even more of a Batman movie for the theatrical cut.
    - Him effortless defeating some of Wonder Woman's villains like Cheetah and Circe. Connected to that, Cheetah getting snipped by Jason Todd when she has no reason to be in the movie period.

It gets to be too much where even a Batman fan like myself has to roll my eyes at some of this ****. And it's not like Bat-fans are necessarily clamoring for this in the first place, and I think none of it's necessary. He'd be popular, perhaps the most popular still, without any of it. But some could be more sensitive to the fact that just because their characters aren't on the receiving end doesn't mean it doesn't get annoying.