Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast

Bruce should be between 25 and 35 currently(I think snyder pegged him at 33)unless in an elseworld like TDKR
    Pushing him past that age bracket makes it a very different story and frankly kinda unrealistic and regardless of how stupid and dumb some aspects of comics are
    Batman has always at least tried to stay apart or away from the excesses of the ridiculousness in the medium in his apex branding period

Bruce should remain in his prime

Ollie is eventually gonna be back to pushing 50 soon if Connor Hawke isn't fit into cannon in a certain way

Some characters should not be older DC is right to worry about this

If we stayed in the post crisis continuity
    Bruce would be about 45-49 years old and has been rejuvinating himself with Lazurus pits a few times to explain his youthful appearance. Bad
    Dick would be pushing 33 and similarly has no explanation about why he's drawn as a teen. Bad
    WW is immortal clay woman and can be any age it doesn't matter. Bad
    Harley is about 35-37 years old but if we go by prime aging assumption she was at least 40+ post crisis. Bad

So many characters need to be given a prime age bracket editorial needs to have at least some outline for all of this and stop bitching about how Batman lands on a roof
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 06-01-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Why in the ever loving world does Batman have to be realistic? Why does his realism only matter when it comes to this topic and not all the other absolutely absurd, preposterous stuff he does that you justify and accept? That is brought up in this very thread but is waived over?

Realism can not possibly be the answer. And if it is it's hypocritical one.
    Last edited by Dred; 06-01-2021 at 06:15 PM.

I said this before about Spider-Man and it is just as relevant here. The only people who care about Batman, Superman et al being older than 35 are adults. Most kids don't give a damn. As a kid, I grew up on shows and movies with characters that were older than me by 10 years at least. If anything, I tended to get bored with protagonists closer to my age. Robert Downy Jr. was 43 when he played Iron Man for the first time. Didn't stop him from being popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Bruce should be between 25 and 35 currently(I think snyder pegged him at 33)unless in an elseworld like TDKR
    Pushing him past that age bracket makes it a very different story and frankly kinda unrealistic and regardless of how stupid and dumb some aspects of comics are
    Batman has always at least tried to stay apart or away from the excesses of the ridiculousness in the medium in his apex branding period
    The only ridiculousness that Bruce has avoided is not having superpowers like most superheroes. Other than that, he's no more realistic than any other character (and in some cases is actually less realistic)

Dick would be pushing 33 and similarly has no explanation about why he's drawn as a teen. Bad

There are people who look younger than they actually in real life despite a lack of
    WW is immortal clay woman and can be any age it doesn't matter. Bad
    How is this bad?

Harley is about 35-37 years old but if we go by prime aging assumption she was at least 40+ post crisis. Bad
    See my comment about Nightwing above.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-01-2021 at 06:39 PM.

I will never see Bruce below 40. The man's had 6+ sidekicks and three liftetimes worth of adventures. And you want to tell me a dude protrayed as wise and knowledgeable as him is intheir 20s or 30s?

No way
    The J-man

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Batman is too big of a character to exist in one story of his life. He's all over the place at various ages, allowing him to be in his 40s in the main continuity won't stop him being in his 30s or even younger elsewhere. There are plenty of options and most people don't feel too strong about it anyway.

He can also be written as being in his late 30s with all these other characters around and we don't have to think about it too hard. It's only an issue when anal writers and fans make it an issue, but how often are Wally's kids (for example) even going to show up or be referenced in Batman's book that it would even matter?

depends on what canon you're using. If this was 2012 and the New 52 was in full swing, sure Bruce could be in his 20s or 30s, but if this is a current comic story then 40s and that's being generous.

Movies and animations will do their things, but we're just talking about current comics. If you make Bruce younger" then Dick has to be 18-20s, then Jason's got to be even younger. Tim etc. etc. Heck, a new cinematic universe or the animated universe might have squeeze Tim out entirely.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Pushing him past that age bracket makes it a very different story and frankly kinda unrealistic and regardless of how stupid and dumb some aspects of comics are Batman has always at least tried to stay apart or away from the excesses of the ridiculousness in the medium in his apex branding period
    Uh, are you under the impression that peoples' bones turn to dust at the age of 40? Like, I have a good decade-plus before I reach 40 myself and I can tell you, 40 is pretty young. And someone who keeps in such excellent shape, as Bruce does, would definitely be able to do what Bruce does well into their 40s and maybe even into their 50s.

Like, I honestly don't get the logic that the most unrealistic thing, in a universe where people can become shapeshifting clay monsters or control plant life, is that a guy in his 40s would be able to fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I will never see Bruce below 40. The man's had 6+ sidekicks and three liftetimes worth of adventures. And you want to tell me a dude protrayed as wise and knowledgeable as him is intheir 20s or 30s?

No way
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 06-02-2021 at 12:44 AM.

IMO most artists don’t even draw him looking in his 20’s.

In Mike Grell's run Ollie was pushing 40 and eventually 50. Then in Dixon's run he was killed off and replaced with Connor Hawke.

All that was undone when DC brought him back in a deaged body in Kevin Smith's Quiver series. Whether or not bringing him back was worth it is up for debate. We got an Arrow Family but it felt like DC had no idea what to do with them and even with Ollie, it just felt like they were retreading what was already done in Mike Grell's run. I think GA as a character has a limited number of stories you could tell with him and at some point it's logical to kill him off or at least retire him. Otherwise, you have to reinvent him. His TV show was successful because they turned him into discount Batman.

Once again the problem comes back to DC going on a nostalgia trip for much of the 00's, it brought them short term benefits but it was detrimental for the long term. They were ahead of the curve but the nostalgia combined with the mismanagement of franchises pushed them back.

As for Batman, he fell into the Lazarus Pits twice; the first time in Dennis O'Neil's 'Birth of the Demon' and the second time in Greg Rucka's 'Death and Maidens' (there may have been other times but these are moments that sticks out for me) so I can buy him being actually 40+ and the public takes him as another Tom Cruise style ageless celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Uh, are you under the impression that peoples' bones turn to dust at the age of 40? Like, I have a good decade-plus before I reach 40 myself and I can tell you, 40 is pretty young. And someone who keeps in such excellent shape, as Bruce does, would definitely be able to do what Bruce does well into their 40s and maybe even into their 50s.
    Without entering into the merits of comics, 40 maybe be pretty young but you ain't the same as at 25. Athletes relative short span career confirms that. Have you ever seen a 45year old athlete winning in sports and beating younger athletes? Even the best athletes ever can't compete anymore at certain age.

What? Why would Harley have to be that old? She has only been around in comics for 20 years. She hasn't gone through that many things.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Didn't he confirm that Bruce and Clark were about 29 at the time? Dick was 19 when he became Nightwing pre-COIE, and was at 20-21 (as Robin) in BTAS, which had Bruce in the vague late-20s age. Or VERY early 30s.
    Post COIE is was iirc said on differnt points through the whole continuity, that Bruce became Batman 10 years ago and that his parents died 25 years ago, that would put Bruce in his early to mid 30s.

The only real problem for Bruce is age is at the moment Damian, who is for some reason supposed to be 14 now. I they continue to age him at this rate Bruce is pushing 50 soon.

Having Dick vaguely in his mid 20s and Tim in his late teens, you could still have Bruce in his 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    Without entering into the merits of comics, 40 maybe be pretty young but you ain't the same as at 25. Athletes relative short span career confirms that. Have you ever seen a 45year old athlete winning in sports and beating younger athletes? Even the best athletes ever can't compete anymore at certain age.
    There is a certain QB that dislike very much that is 43 and won the Super Bowl. Why must average athlete represent the clear outlier in Batman? They are athletes who perform longer than what people expect is their physical prime but it is wear and tear not age stops athletes from performing at their peak at later age.

I guess I am the only who thinks Batman is on some form Supplements, Steroids, HGH, and other performance enhancers. My head cannon has Batman on a cocktail of stuff to keep in top shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    There is a certain QB that dislike very much that is 43 and won the Super Bowl. Why must average athlete represent the clear outlier in Batman? They are athletes who perform longer than what people expect is their physical prime but it is wear and tear not age stops athletes from performing at their peak at later age.

I guess I am the only who thinks Batman is on some form Supplements, Steroids, HGH, and other performance enhancers. My head cannon has Batman on a cocktail of stuff to keep in top shape.
    QB did not win alone but formed part of a team. Team Sports is different.
    The issue is not batman as batman, but an individual aged over forty who can accomplish feats that he used to do when he was younger. Individual sports no matter what, athletes after certain age decline in their performance.