Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

On NPD Book scans top 20 graphic novels for April Batman has 12 Graphic Novels plus the Harleen Hardcover. Batman sells like other people have said. Still DC could use another Batman. I would say that they are missing the boat by not developing Cyborg more and having a cybernetic corner in the DC Universe. There are numerous cyberpunk video games out there and some comics as well as a whole genre of cyborg romance novels. He could be their next 'Batman'. The Cyborg leading Dceased Dead Planet HC is in the top ten at number seven.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    On NPD Book scans top 20 graphic novels for April Batman has 12 Graphic Novels plus the Harleen Hardcover. Batman sells like other people have said. Still DC could use another Batman. I would say that they are missing the boat by not developing Cyborg more and having a cybernetic corner in the DC Universe. There are numerous cyberpunk video games out there and some comics as well as a whole genre of cyborg romance novels. He could be their next 'Batman'. The Cyborg leading Dceased Dead Planet HC is in the top ten at number seven.
    Can you link to the source for this sales data?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Also, let's not forget that Batfans are plenty quick to point out when they think a creator has is deliberately short changing the character due to their own bias like with Geoff Johns whenever he writes him or Greg Rucka in The Hiketeia.
    Batman fans are consistently the loudest and most absurdly whiny whenever Batman comes out on the bottom of an argument of physical confrontation.

People bring up Wally or HEAT but if Bruce got the same treatment Hal and Wally got it would be 100x worse. There are way more Bruce-only die hard fans than either combined and they're way more vitriolic on much smaller slights.

That someone earlier even made the comparison to Wally and Hal fans as some kind of equivalence kind of shows what I mean. Imagine if Batman actually had to deal with 15 years of the top creative force in the company actively hating him and trying to ruin him at every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    The fact that HQ is an a same league with meta humans or Demi Gods is quite absurd. That WW fans should support her is equally ridiculous just because she is a female or being anti feminist. Supporting other female characters does not mean accept any character, especially serial harassers as Robanker pointed out. It defeats the purpose. I don't however agree that DC female characters are annoying some might be but not all. Just like male characters are not all that good.

The fact that Bruce can intimidate heroes with super powers, demi gods, is absurd. Superman could destroy the planet and fears Batman makes no sense. Just like Flash being able to change timelines but feels cowed by Bruce. Or an immortal amazon fearing a mere human?
    If he is that powerful the fact that there are these other superheroes defeats the purpose of them being around. That Batman is the mastermind of the team that is very credible and makes sense. He can maintain a level headedness in times of crisis, he is a shrewd tactician that earns respect of the others. Also makes up for his lack of powers.
    That's the thing though, sure a human intimidating metahumans is stupid, but if it's stupid for Bruce it should be stupid for every human. That means no villain should show fear to Lex Luthor whenever he leads a team. Why would Sinestro, Cheetah, Black Adam, etc be intimidated enough to be the 2nd in command or underling to a regular human? This trope isn't exclusive to Bruce anymore than him doing things no real world person could do is. So if Superman and other Leaguers with powers shouldn't be afraid of Bruce, no supervillain should have to do the same.

That's the double standard I'm talking about, it's generally accepted for Lex to be able to somehow scare supervillains and no one bats an eye or calls it out for being stupid but the second Bruce tries it all of a sudden everyone's up in arms.

I'm at a loss at how Bruce fans are the whiniest when Superman, Wonder Woman, Wally West and Dick Grayson fans exist but I guess I'll just have to learn to accept this narrative. Fans of those characters remind me of NBA star Stephen Curry's fans on the NBA reddit page. Huge victim complexes and never accept blame for their favorites shortcomings while attacking the person they see as their biggest enemy. For Steph Curry fans that person is LeBron James and it's Bruce for fans ofvthose DC characters except Wally.

There was a thread in the NBA reddit page proving the sub favors him over LeBron by a large margin despite what Steph's fans always say. Threads and comments praising him are highly upvoted and commented on. Negative ones are heavily downvoted with excuses littering the thread when he has a poor game (which isn't often but still) with LeBron, the one Steph fans claim everyone's biased towards, the opposite's true. Negative LeBron threads and comments are highly upvoted with comments mocking him. Positive ones get a lot of downvotes and comments downplaying his success.

That's Bruce, everyone's convinced the internet's littered with Bruce stans who do nothing but praise him but the opposite looks to be true. Just on this forum posts complaining about him or bashing him get way more activity than positive ones. His divisive moments cause much more fan outrage and attention than any other character and it's not even close.

Let's put it this way, if tomorrow 2 books with Bruce were released: 1 where he goes to a children's hospital and spends the day cheering up sick kids and 1 where he viciously berates the Batfamily, which do you guys think would get talked about more here?
    Last edited by The True Detective; 05-28-2021 at 12:53 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Batman fans are consistently the loudest and most absurdly whiny whenever Batman comes out on the bottom of an argument of physical confrontation.

People bring up Wally or HEAT but if Bruce got the same treatment Hal and Wally got it would be 100x worse. There are way more Bruce-only die hard fans than either combined and they're way more vitriolic on much smaller slights.

That someone earlier even made the comparison to Wally and Hal fans as some kind of equivalence kind of shows what I mean. Imagine if Batman actually had to deal with 15 years of the top creative force in the company actively hating him and trying to ruin him at every turn.
    It would never happen, though, because even at their pinnacle, Wally and Hal were never close to Bruce's level of popularity and iconic status.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It would never happen, though, because even at their pinnacle, Wally and Hal were never close to Bruce's level of popularity and iconic status.
    Yes, that is the point being made.

Then it has nothing to do with writers being personally biased towards Bruce and more to do with him being their sacred cash cow they're afraid to mess up. If Wally, Hal and Dick all became much more popular than Bruce overnight guess what? The same company you think hates them and favors Bruce would toss him aside like trash and push those 3 like Gods.

DC didn't start treating Bruce this way until he became their most popular character with the most popular franchise. So if the characters you claim they hate reach his level one day, you better believe they're gonna get the Bat-God treatment. I only hope if that day ever comes the fans who hate when Bruce benefits from that treatment keep the same energy and complain just as much if Dick, Wally, Hal or whoever all of a sudden receive it.

I doubt it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Then it has nothing to do with writers being personally biased towards Bruce and more to do with him being their sacred cash cow they're afraid to mess up.
    ... and TD's post was the point I was making.

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-28-2021 at 05:27 AM.

That's the thing though, sure a human intimidating metahumans is stupid, but if it's stupid for Bruce it should be stupid for every human. That means no villain should show fear to Lex Luthor whenever he leads a team. Why would Sinestro, Cheetah, Black Adam, etc be intimidated enough to be the 2nd in command or underling to a regular human? This trope isn't exclusive to Bruce anymore than him doing things no real world person could do is. So if Superman and other Leaguers with powers shouldn't be afraid of Bruce, no supervillain should have to do the same.
    When have any supervillains been depicted as being scared of Lex? From what I recall, no villain even likes or respects him and their team ups often end in betrayal or attempted murder.

Fans of those characters remind me of NBA star Stephen Curry's fans on the NBA reddit page. Huge victim complexes and never accept blame for their favorites shortcomings while attacking the person they see as their biggest enemy.
    Oh and what, pray tell, do you think these shortcomings are?

That's Bruce, everyone's convinced the internet's littered with Bruce stans who do nothing but praise him but the opposite looks to be true.
    Then you have a very limited experience in this regard. The internet if filled with people singing Batman's praises and why he is superior to everyone else. I've seen blogs claim that he is the only superhero who deserves a movie. It's to the point that any superhero that exists in the normal human archetype gets negatively compared to him, either by fans or by the writers.

Let's put it this way, if tomorrow 2 books with Bruce were released: 1 where he goes to a children's hospital and spends the day cheering up sick kids and 1 where he viciously berates the Batfamily, which do you guys think would get talked about more here?
    Given how many people in the Bat forum hate the Batfamily, something tells me the former will get more attention just because an anti-Batfamily fan wants to troll.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

... and TD's post was the point I was making.
    If Batman doesn't have to worry about it because of his popularity, there is absolutely zero reason for Bat fans to complain about anything or bash other characters and fanbases.

But they still manage to do it in certain circles.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If Batman doesn't have to worry about it because of his popularity, there is absolutely zero reason for Bat fans to complain about anything or bash other characters and fanbases.

But they still manage to do it in certain circles.
    The vast majority of Batfans don't have to complain, though, and do less complaining than the others due to his overall ranking. Yeah, there is always grumbles in any type of group, but it doesn't have anywhere near the anger that accompanies other factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't recall any WW fans complaining about Batgirl, Supergirl and Vixen getting more content. And in the latter's case, DC does so little with her compared to everyone else, even Diana, that I doubt it was enough for any WW fans to notice.
    If WW fans on her forum complain about any characters in particular, it’s Batman and Superman.

That's the double standard I'm talking about, it's generally accepted for Lex to be able to somehow scare supervillains and no one bats an eye or calls it out for being stupid but the second Bruce tries it all of a sudden everyone's up in arms.

I'm at a loss at how Bruce fans are the whiniest when Superman, Wonder Woman, Wally West and Dick Grayson fans exist but I guess I'll just have to learn to accept this narrative. Fans of those characters remind me of NBA star Stephen Curry's fans on the NBA reddit page. Huge victim complexes and never accept blame for their favorites shortcomings while attacking the person they see as their biggest enemy. For Steph Curry fans that person is LeBron James and it's Bruce for fans ofvthose DC characters except Wally.

There was a thread in the NBA reddit page proving the sub favors him over LeBron by a large margin despite what Steph's fans always say. Threads and comments praising him are highly upvoted and commented on. Negative ones are heavily downvoted with excuses littering the thread when he has a poor game (which isn't often but still) with LeBron, the one Steph fans claim everyone's biased towards, the opposite's true. Negative LeBron threads and comments are highly upvoted with comments mocking him. Positive ones get a lot of downvotes and comments downplaying his success.

That's Bruce, everyone's convinced the internet's littered with Bruce stans who do nothing but praise him but the opposite looks to be true. Just on this forum posts complaining about him or bashing him get way more activity than positive ones. His divisive moments cause much more fan outrage and attention than any other character and it's not even close.

Lebron James has more fans (i'm one of them) than haters, otherwise he wouldn't be at the top of the All Star vote every single year. The same goes for Batman.

And what is your point here? You're complaining that some people on the internet don't like Batman? Why do you care?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The vast majority of Batfans don't have to complain, though, and do less complaining than the others due to his overall ranking. Yeah, there is always grumbles in any type of group, but it doesn't have anywhere near the anger that accompanies other factions.
    Then that's the point. Good on the ones who don't complain, because again they precisely zero reason to. The worst they have to put up with is people complaining about Batman for various reasons, which does not impact his sales or popularity in the slightest. He and the fans can wipe away the tears with all the money he makes while they prepare for his new film trilogy and cartoon

But the other factions shouldn't be characterized as unreasonably angry despite some of the extreme members in their groups either. Statements like "I don't see why other fanbases have to have such victim complexes when they should behave more like the saintly Batman fanbase" are extremely unhelpful when Batman is #1. This is what I meant when I originally said some (certainly not all) Batman fans could use more self awareness. They are not greedy because they get a lot of content and have every right to enjoy it. But they are fans of the most protected character in all of the Big Two, and don't see any problem with others getting frustrated that their characters not only get less content but have to put up with slights Batman would never have to. And the lack of understanding, if not mockery, can lead to further resentment from the other sides.