Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Most 20 year old's I see aren't even half the size of Terry Crews or Hugh Jackman (who are around Batman's height since DC likes making the dude over 6 ft). And like Batman and Terry Crews, regular 20 year old's don't have the best equipment/training/whatever to put them in that physical shape.

Plus don't videogames love showing grizzled old men that have "old man strength" punch people half their age? (The Last of Us)
    We're talking about superheroes who started in their twenties still are fighting in their forties and fifties. That isn't remotely Crews or Jackman. It's impossible for anybody doing that not to lose something over the years.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Didn't he confirm that Bruce and Clark were about 29 at the time? Dick was 19 when he became Nightwing pre-COIE, and was at 20-21 (as Robin) in BTAS, which had Bruce in the vague late-20s age. Or VERY early 30s.

I don't think the age gap between Bruce and Dick has ever been that big to justify singling out Dick's growth as the reason for making Bruce "too old." They are a little over a decade apart at most. Cramming in all these other kids that they insist on creating makes him older, but again they don't even have to acknowledge it that much if it's a big deal.
    Agreed. The other Robins complicate things, but not Dick himself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    They were still in their late twenties at COIE, regardless of Nightwing. The Answer Man (Bob Rozakis) of DC confirmed that quite a few times. As for the majority of fans of not caring about aging them, since DC refuses not to do it, I guess they believe the majority does care.
    10 years old, now 20 years old. Somehow Batman didn't age at all.

Just because someone at editorial didn't think it through doesn't change the facts of the stories. If Bob Harras came in and said Bruce Wayne was a pigeon you and I wouldn't believe him.

We're talking about superheroes who started in their twenties still are fighting in their forties and fifties. That isn't remotely Crews or Jackman. It's impossible for anybody doing that not to lose something over the years.
    Why do you care about the possibility of this, but the possibility of...having Batman's life and not aging isn't a concern? There are literally too many Batman stories with time frames in them for him not to be older than you want him.

Agreed. The other Robins complicate things, but not Dick himself.
    Dick himself complicates it as soon as he definitively turned 20 and, you know, kept on living from then on. And had friends who grew up alongside him to match...some of which continued to age and grow. Dick started the concept of DC characters actually aging and growing. He IS the complication. Pre Crisis Bruce can't have a ward who he picked up at 10 years old become 20 years old and someone remain nebulously in his late 20s. Unless you think he was Batman by 19 (he wasn't) and immediately picked up Dick (he didn't).

Obviously as time goes on you can just retcon Dick's age up and up and up but then you bastardize all the stories that Bruce and Dick had before. You warp their relationship. You warp Dick himself as a character to coddle Bruce's...age?
    Last edited by Dred; 06-01-2021 at 02:07 PM.

It's pretty interesting what people can and can't accept in comic books, especially with characters like Batman.

Bruce got his back broken and got fixed with basically magic. But he can't be over 30 years old, because in the real world people in this range of age are not in their prime.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I understand the real world aspect of being old in the sports field. But i don't see why this have to be applied to comic books.

Why do we have to follow real life rules when this guy went in a journey across time when he was shot by a omega bean that should killed him? We can believe that he can be the smartest man in the world, learn every single language, be the master of thousands matial arts, be Rich asf and get all the hottest chicks, but some somehow he can't be a little more old? And 36 is not even that old, tho.
    I believe certain age rules should apply to all characters not just batman. In future state some characters retire at 40, because they either too old for the part or feel its time to take a step back, or they want to enjoy themselves. Fine, but at times its ridiculous, like seeing Black Manta in future state fighting against Jackson and Andy, when he should be well over fifty.

It's pretty interesting what people can and can't accept in comic books, especially with characters like Batman.

Bruce got his back broken and got fixed with basically magic. But he can't be over 30 years old, because in the real world people in this range of age are not in their prime.
    you are taking the issue on my part as against Batman, far from truth. My point is I dont see the need to age him, If he is 36 I am fine with it. Expressing a point of view is not being anti-batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    10 years old, now 20 years old. Somehow Batman didn't age at all.

Just because someone at editorial didn't think it through doesn't change the facts of the stories. If Bob Harras came in and said Bruce Wayne was a pigeon you and I wouldn't believe him.
    It doesn't matter. That's what DC said then and that was the official line. As they always said, comic book time doesn't work the same as reality. Besides, I can believe that faster than Dick fighting crime in middle school any day of the week (as for Damian... he looks a thousand times more ridiculous when you factor in the people reading comics today compared to then).

Why do you care about the possibility of this, but the possibility of...having Batman's life and not aging isn't a concern? There are literally too many Batman stories with time frames in them for him not to be older than you want him.
    If DC wanted to age everyone starting tomorrow and not stop, I would have no problem with it. But they're not, because the Trinity are not going to be replaced and we all know this to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    I believe certain age rules should apply to all characters not just batman. In future state some characters retire at 40, because they either too old for the part or feel its time to take a step back, or they want to enjoy themselves. Fine, but at times its ridiculous, like seeing Black Manta in future state fighting against Jackson and Andy, when he should be well over fifty.
    I don't see how it's more ridiculous than a man who lives under water. The fun of comic book it's the ridiculousness.

I mean, if you can forgive a story about a man living, breathing and talking under water, then every other rule of real world should be ignored right there.

you are taking the issue on my part as against Batman, far from truth. My point is I dont see the need to age him, If he is 36 I am fine with it. Expressing a point of view is not being anti-batman.
    I'm not accusing you of being anti-batman, i'm just using him as an example.

We can forgive some of the most weirdest things in comics, but have a problem with others minor things. And i include myself in this as well.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Yeah I don't really get it either. Why is age 40 crossing the line? You got a world full of advanced science and medicine but it's weird for a billionaire to invest in that sort of stuff for his own health?

Robert Pattinson is 35 and he's playing a "young Batman". Why is it believable for a 35 year old man to play a "young Batman" but it's cutting it close when he's 35 in the comics... It's not like Pattinson looks 35, Bruce doesn't have to either.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-01-2021 at 02:33 PM.

I don't see how it's more ridiculous than a man who lives under water. The fun of comic book it's the ridiculousness.

I mean, if you can forgive a story about a man living, breathing and talking under water, then every other rule of real world should be ignored right there.

I'm not accusing you of being anti-batman, i'm just using him as an example.

We can forgive some of the most weirdest things in comics, but have a problem with others minor things. And i include myself in this as well.
    The ridiculous part is the meta human living underwater retires because he is too old to keep the part of the hero. But the human villain goes around as if age does not matter. That said its lack of creativity from some writers. I know its comic, I am fine with a thousand year old amazon etc but what is good for the goose is good for the gander. So Supeman retires but not black manta?

When it comes to magic or super powers, anything is possible. That's why most of us started reading comics in the first place. But having a middle-aged superheroes without powers still fight at peak performance just doesn't make sense. Unless the idea is that he really doesn't fight as well anymore and someone else gets the spotlight, but Bruce doesn't have to worry about that.

I think the idea is that younger people don't want to read about their dads or grandads fighting crime.

When it comes to magic or super powers, anything is possible. That's why most of us started reading comics in the first place. But having a middle-aged superheroes without powers still fight at peak performance just doesn't make sense. Unless the idea is that he really doesn't fight as well anymore and someone else gets the spotlight, but Bruce doesn't have to worry about that.
    Isn't his regular suit outfitted with all sorts of enhancement and is bulletproof that could make up from him not being a peak performance? He was never playing on even footing with crooks, why start now?

It just sounds like people are making excuses for him not to be aged up when there are a ton of work arounds.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think the idea is that younger people don't want to read about their dads or grandads fighting crime.
    I'm probably younger than 80% of people on this thread and I'm certainly younger than the people I see pick up Batman at my comic shop.

I also didn't hear any young people complain about anyone age in the MCU films or DCEU films. If fact I seem to remember people complaining about Spider-Man not being collage age and was instead high-school age (again).

Nobody complained about 50 year old powerless Hawkeye fighting bad guys in Japan in Endgame.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-01-2021 at 02:54 PM.

The ridiculous part is the meta human living underwater retires because he is too old to keep the part of the hero. But the human villain goes around as if age does not matter. That said its lack of creativity from some writers. I know its comic, I am fine with a thousand year old amazon etc but what is good for the goose is good for the gander. So Supeman retires but not black manta?
    Well, being a hero is harder than being a Villain. The hero gig is a full time thing. Villains can take turn, serve time in jail, get some rest and then attack again. Of course Aquaman grew tired of being a hero, let his kids do the job now so he can grow a beer belly and rest for a bit.

Black Manta never got his revenge, tho.

Maybe Black Manta spent all his money to take care of his body, like Lebron James who spends 1 million a year to do the same. Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Also, there is magic in this world, so nothing is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I would agree with that if the comic book audience weren't mostly made of older dudes.

A bit over 30 is not middle age.
    Last edited by Drako; 06-01-2021 at 02:57 PM.