Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Extraordinary Member

This would be such a great example of the "X-Men" standing up for something if they hadn't been cozying up to so many Krakoan's who individually have been responsible for way more atrocities then these two, especially since Monet just gushed all over Selene. Hard pass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The shame is that there was hope for Andreas at least, before his most recent resurrection. During his time as Swordsman, after Andrea's death, he was actually making an effort to turn his back on his past and try and become a better person...and for a while there, he was making progress. Then after getting killed and brought back (along with Andrea) he's right back to what he used to be.

My assumption is that when their father had the Fenris twins restored he had Andreas' mind altered to erase the progress made in his Swordsman period. Either they wiped those memories out entirely....or, if they wanted him to retain the increased fighting skills he developed as Swordsman, then they just brain washed him to keep his old personality intact.
    Yeah, he's another one like Sandman or Empath who went through a whole character growth arc, and someone then ditched it and used them as a villain again as if they'd been reset to how they first appeared.

And gosh, Andreas' Swordsman arc! It seemed implied at the time that at least some of his face turn happened after the Purple Man sexually assaulted him with his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This would be such a great example of the "X-Men" standing up for something if they hadn't been cozying up to so many Krakoan's who individually have been responsible for way more atrocities then these two, especially since Monet just gushed all over Selene. Hard pass.
    Wasn't Selene recently allied with Baron Strucker as part of the Power Elite, where she also assisted with the resurrection of Red Skull and murdered a whole bunch of humans during the Krakoan era?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

They all came off as weird to me. I did not mind seeing Warren in a new book as I haven't read anything with him in it for years. But Sofia (and even Trinary) was really why I wanted to read it and I was pretty sad about the first issue I don't trust, like X-Factor, that she will be doing much of anything. Eh... I just can't get into M, and... how she was acting... I haven't read much of her since Generation X., sorry.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, he's another one like Sandman or Empath who went through a whole character growth arc, and someone then ditched it and used them as a villain again as if they'd been reset to how they first appeared.

And gosh, Andreas' Swordsman arc! It seemed implied at the time that at least some of his face turn happened after the Purple Man sexually assaulted him with his powers.
    Yeah, Purple Man used Swordsman as a sex toy -- it was implied so heavily they all but came out and said it explicitly.

Fabian Nicieza commented on the message boards at the time that it wasn't the same-sex aspect of it that bothered Andreas (no big surprise Andreas is bisexual), but the degradation from the loss of control. Given that Andreas tried to force himself on at least one woman back in his early appearances, that aspect of his time with Killgrave was probably a big eye-opener for him in terms of his revulsion of who he used to be and his desire to change.

I'd love to see Andreas regain his memories and personality from his Swordsman time and go back to being the improving person he was then....but leave Andrea as the nasty, selfish monster she always was. It would be an interesting situation to have both of them alive but no longer on the same wavelength in terms of attitude and philosophy. They'd still technically be on the same side as long as they are part of Krakoa--but there would be a wedge between them now that could make both of them a bit more interesting.

If Monet turns into Penance again in this issue. I wish she won't seem to be wearing gloves as in the 1st issue

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yeah, Purple Man used Swordsman as a sex toy -- it was implied so heavily they all but came out and said it explicitly.

Fabian Nicieza commented on the message boards at the time that it wasn't the same-sex aspect of it that bothered Andreas (no big surprise Andreas is bisexual), but the degradation from the loss of control. Given that Andreas tried to force himself on at least one woman back in his early appearances, that aspect of his time with Killgrave was probably a big eye-opener for him in terms of his revulsion of who he used to be and his desire to change.

I'd love to see Andreas regain his memories and personality from his Swordsman time and go back to being the improving person he was then....but leave Andrea as the nasty, selfish monster she always was. It would be an interesting situation to have both of them alive but no longer on the same wavelength in terms of attitude and philosophy. They'd still technically be on the same side as long as they are part of Krakoa--but there would be a wedge between them now that could make both of them a bit more interesting.
    This sounds very cool. I suppose, in this era of no thought bubbles, it's *possible* that this could still be the case (even retroactively), with Andreas just sort of following along with his reborn sister, but no longer really 'feeling it' and kind of wanting an out... A decent writer, like Busiek, could salvage it and say that Andreas is just mouthing the words out of loyalty to Andrea.

It does seem though that the writers, as with Empath, don't know or care about previous growth, because they have a particular role they want the characters to play, and them being grown past their first 'nasty bad-guy' appearance conflicts with that.

I really hope Jamie and his dupes will unionize.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I really hope Jamie and his dupes will unionize.
    I feel like it's a ticking time bomb to have your nation's medicines being mass-produced by someone who one time in fifty pops out a neurotic dupe that wants to sabotage him or a psychotic one that wants to murder and replace him!