Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I really wish the creator bashing was against the rules.

People basically **** all over the boards with it. It is old and tired and should basically be summed up with, if you don't like the current storyline, don't buy it!
    Agreed. Constructive criticism is healthy but every time we have a preview of one of her issues, the hate starts up again. It's as if Tini lives in some posters' minds rent free.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    It's so weird that I'm enjoying this after finding Excalibur and her contributions to X of Swords subpar lol I seem to recall that Tini wrote Selen siding with apocalypse against the other externals wonder what role she's gonna play in this?
    I thought she did amazing work in x of swords...

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. Constructive criticism is healthy but every time we have a preview of one of her issues, the hate starts up again. It's as if Tini lives in some posters' minds rent free.
    Try the FF board, I barely even post there anymore.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, it's all hate on 'Hickman' or 'Bendis' or 'Duggen,' but with the lady writers it's all first names, like they are our friends or something?

Weird how we contort ourselves, even our language, to diminish people.
    Yes and we don't even know we're doing it!

I know a lot of people will think I'm making an issue "out of nothing", but I don't care. The almost unilateral familiarization of Howard and other female/non-binary writers whether conscious or unconscious is real and the implication is that they're second class creatives.

(I know "Tini" is just a cute name so some probably just like calling her that, but it's not just her I'm talking about.)

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post

I don't like this like at all...and no I don't mean the title I mean the insertion of Selene. I'm sure a lot could be done with Selene under this premise but it is a SHAME that in this era so much has been done to flesh Apocalypse out yet next to nothing has been done with the actual oldest living mutant in the main X-books. Seems like a missed opportunity what with her being an eternal psionic vampire and mutantdom adopting the resurrection protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I don't like this like at all...and no I don't mean the title I mean the insertion of Selene. I'm sure a lot could be done with Selene under this premise but it is a SHAME that in this era so much has been done to flesh Apocalypse out yet next to nothing has been done with the actual oldest living mutant in the main X-books. Seems like a missed opportunity what with her being an eternal psionic vampire and mutantdom adopting the resurrection protocols.
    I agree that Selene should not be ignored. Hopefully her involvement here is good!

There is a huge list of characters that haven't gotten their due in the Krakoan era. The same can be said for any era, but the problem now is that everyone is supposedly in one place and we NEED to know how some of these big personalities are responding to this new world.

I (and many others) have suggested an anthology series for this very purpose. It would be great for us, but maybe in terms of business it's not worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I agree that Selene should not be ignored. Hopefully her involvement here is good!

There is a huge list of characters that haven't gotten their due in the Krakoan era. The same can be said for any era, but the problem now is that everyone is supposedly in one place and we NEED to know how some of these big personalities are responding to this new world.

I (and many others) have suggested an anthology series for this very purpose. It would be great for us, but maybe in terms of business it's not worthwhile.
    With the cancellation of X-Factor I like the idea of an anthology series more and more. You're right in that there are so many characters to choose from but sadly we lost a book with a bunch of great characters. That's why I hope this book and Way of X do well so we can see their characters shine.

I'm looking forward to seeing Selene throw her weight around.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    With the cancellation of X-Factor I like the idea of an anthology series more and more. You're right in that there are so many characters to choose from but sadly we lost a book with a bunch of great characters. That's why I hope this book and Way of X do well so we can see their characters shine.

I'm looking forward to seeing Selene throw her weight around.
    Why is Selene wearing Roma’s hairstyle?

Selene is even wearing Roma’s turtleneck / dickey thing.
    Last edited by Brian B; 05-21-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I think this is a brilliant idea, for example look at the members both current and previous that selection of personalities, ideologies, and abilities could make for incredible storytelling. However like you I don't think many of the larger personalities have had a chance to shine in this era, Exodus is another one who I think would be amazing in a book looking at you Way of X!

I think this is a brilliant idea, for example look at the members both current and previous that selection of personalities, ideologies, and abilities could make for incredible storytelling. However like you I don't think many of the larger personalities have had a chance to shine in this era, Exodus is another one who I think would be amazing in a book looking at you Way of X!
    I liked that Hickman's X-Men main title was kind of serving that purpose in that it had a rotating cast and devoted one to two issues to each story. It really was a kind of world-building anthology book, but it's scope was still narrow and focused only on some key players. I loved the Vulcan issue and the Crucible issue and the Children of the Vault issue, and it would be great to see characters like Selene, Exodus, Forge and Banshee(!), Emma's Hellions, etc. get the same treatment. Didn't really need that much time on the Brood or that awful Brett Booth issue!

The thing that made this work was that it was a consistent creative team. X-Men Unlimited had some good issues and some really bad ones and was ultimately inconsequential because it employed one-off creative teams for each issue. That's also why anthologies like that don't sell. A flagship X-World title with a quality team would be a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I have the first issue of this in my quo but I haven't read it yet. I'm to understand it is only a mini? Eh... Selene? I thought that might be Kwannon.
    No it's not a mini it's an on going. Newsrama made a mistake on their website when the release date was first announced and despite rectifying it, people on here seem to still think it's a mini

I agree that she gets a lot of hate that's targeted and directly aimed at her rather than her writing... and honestly a lot of it's misogyny. There's still an issue with fans not thinking women can write comics as well as men. I don't like her writing on Excalibur at all, but there have been times when I think I've over-criticized her as well, for which I regret.

I've noticed something... when a woman writes, people critique them with their first name... everyone here is all Tini this and Leah that. We don't do that with Jonathan or Gerry. I understand that Howard and Williams are kind of very common names so some might think it's easier to use their given names, but there's a level of respect paid to male writers that these women aren't always given. I think this is done to Vita Ayala as well.
    You've perfectly put it into words. Tini is still a relatively new and still growing as writer. People use their dislike of her writing as a personal attack and a reflection of her character rather than criticise the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I really wish the creator bashing was against the rules.

People basically **** all over the boards with it. It is old and tired and should basically be summed up with, if you don't like the current storyline, don't buy it!
    Meh, sometimes creators and artists deserve bashing especially if they're done something bigoted/wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, it's all hate on 'Hickman' or 'Bendis' or 'Duggen,' but with the lady writers it's all first names, like they are our friends or something?

Weird how we contort ourselves, even our language, to diminish people.
    I know with Leah it's because she's established her presence online with her first name and for me specifically I use Tini because it's less common than Howard but it's definitely a recurring pattern with female comic writers.

I mean maybe, just maybe, Selene inclusion is to flesh out her character?

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

It would be great for us, but maybe in terms of business it's not worthwhile.
    Unfortunately that's pretty much the case. The other problem with anthology series is that they mostly become utterly meaningless (like X-Men Unlimited) if they're done as ongoings, or seen as a shameless cash-in (the Utopia and Manifest Destiny ones) if done as minis or one-shots. With B&C list titles lucky to last 24 issues, it'd be a tough sell to get one approved, especially within the remit of an "overseen mega-arc" as Hickman's run seems to be considered (although I'm actually not sure if that's still the case)

Selene is a little bit of a bizarre choice to become a member of this team. I know that the X-Men are working with a lot of villains lately, but I'm surprised that they would choose to work this closely with a character that is basically a vampire who wants to become immortal by eating mutant souls.

Still, it's not a bad choice.
    I do wish that Selene had been made part of the cast sooner, though.
    It might have helped the comic survive a little longer.

Mastermind does nothing for me. I wish that one of his daughters had been picked instead.