Default Do you prefer the older printings of Marvel collected eds. or newer printings?

Just curious to know if people prefer keeping the old thicker paper than the slimmer copies. Cheers all!

I would assume that most people prefer thick, quality paper over flimsy and thin see-through paper.

I'm generalizing, but the older Omnibuses had the better paper, but the glued binding, and the newer ones have the thinner paper, but stitched binding.

Amazing Member

I think new omnibuses in future will heve blued binding and uber thiner paper

Marvel omnibues that had glued binding was about 10 pcs in the beginning, rest of them was sewn and had better paper than that what we have now.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I prefer older printings for their quality, newer printings for their quantity.

If that makes any sense?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

One thing I prefer about the new printings is they are generally slimmer, due to the thinner paper. At least in the case of reprints. Thick paper is preferred, but it's not worth it at the size some of these thing reach. I'm generally uninterested in anything above 900 pages.

Incredible Member

Aside from the differences between paper quality there is also the disadvantage that older collected editions tended to have pages or panels edited or removed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    I'm generalizing, but the older Omnibuses had the better paper, but the glued binding, and the newer ones have the thinner paper, but stitched binding.
    How true is that even anymore? Glued binding for Marvel Omnibuses has been gone for so long, but it seems the decrease in paper quality is never ending. It's like every reprint is worse than the previous one.

Amazing Member

Indeed it is.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xanar View Post
    Marvel omnibues that had glued binding was about 10 pcs in the beginning, rest of them was sewn and had better paper than that what we have now.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    How true is that even anymore? Glued binding for Marvel Omnibuses has been gone for so long, but it seems the decrease in paper quality is never ending. It's like every reprint is worse than the previous one.
    There was literally a handful of Omnibuses that were glued and some were first prints that were rapidly replaced by sewn prints (Spidey 1, UXM 1, DD Miller...). The majority of us who have older Omnibuses have sewn prints. The only old Omnibus I have that is glued and I don't mind having because of the faux leather and thicker paper is Silver Surfer 1.

And yes, unfortunately, the quality is ever decreasing.

Incredible Member

I guess my point was, with OP's question, it doesn't seem like it works as an either or question. It's a range of difference omnibus construction/quality over the years. There's probably a sweet spot somewhere of non-glued binding but without paper as thin as it is in 2021.

Like, you may not want a 2005 glued Omnibus, but a 2013 reprint probably has better paper quality than the 2021 reprint.