All-New Member

Default Odd Advice, please?

Greets all,

I realize this is an odd question, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.

I've had a damaged copy of an old comic book since 1967 when I was about 13, and I'd appreciate any information about whether it's worth much because the covers and first and last pages were gone when I got it, but it's otherwise intact.

The rest of the book is in good shape, no tears or stains.

The older kid who sold it to me said it was Superman's first appearance in a comic book, and I wasn't sure if he was serious or not, but I bought it anyhow, gambling it might be worth "something" in the future.

I eventually found out it really was an Action #1 when that extra large reprint was published in the 70's (I bought that one as well).

Years ago I read a bunch of comic book forums and looked into getting it graded, but because of it's poor condition I though they wouldn't accept it, or that seemed like it could be really expensive if they did, so I forgot about it due to my extremely limited income.

Due to poor health issues I forgot about it, and now I need to see how I can best go about selling it.

If you need more info, please ask.

Any positive advice would be appreciated, thank you.

If it really is a Action #1 - I'd send it to CGC to get it graded so you can get a better idea of what it's worth and the grading will make it easier for you to sell.

https://www.cgccomics.com/

Not sure how much you can sell it without it's cover, but should be at least a few grand.

Hey, MisterX,

I do not know if you would consider this "positive" advice, but it is realistic advice, and I hope it helps!

I do not know the comic you mention, but the older the better, in general terms. Please be aware that most people buying comics know to look up the "Price" of an issue in question. However, few ever pay that full amount. I have had friends who sold "expensive" comics, yet were lucky to receive 20% of the estimated value. This is because if the buyer paid full price listed, then later decided to sell it, they would at most only break even. And if someone offered them less, like 50% of the asking price, in effect, they would have lost 50% of what they (originally) paid. I have heard comic buyers/sellers say 10% to 25% of the list price is fair when selling, even for perfect shape and very old comics. (It has nothing to do with the shape/age, as much as resale and no one wanting to pay the full price. The age, shape and comic do help to determine the listed price, but again many times, that is not what buyers pay, but lowered 5-10 times the listed amount. )

So go into a sale feeling good, with some knowledge on your side, and realistically knowing that you may not get the "listed" price. But one never knows, you just may! I do Hope you get as much as possible an wish you the best! If you do sell it, let us know on here how it worked out for you. Good luck!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    If it really is a Action #1 - I'd send it to CGC to get it graded so you can get a better idea of what it's worth and the grading will make it easier for you to sell.

https://www.cgccomics.com/

Not sure how much you can sell it without it's cover, but should be at least a few grand.
    Thanks slop101, I'll check out cgc.
    I know it's not worth "much" without the cover, I used to have it too, it was badly ripped, but it seems to have disappeared over 45 years ago, but it still might turn up in a box around here.
    I'm trying to determine if whats left is worth more as-is, or if I break it up and sell it page by page.

All-New Member

Hi Phoenixx9,
    I have no expectations that my incomplete AC#1 is worth "a lot" of money, but since it's so rare, it's got to be worth something to someone, I just need to determine what.
    Thanks for the reply.

If you have a copy of Action Comics #1 that you've kept in the bottom of your bird cage for 50 years someone will still buy it.